Author Topic: Building around Tatum and Brown is a Mistake  (Read 11930 times)

Re: Building around Tatum and brown is a mistake
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2020, 02:24:55 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think Draymond was vastly overrated when the Warriors were winning and in his prime, but I think he is washed.  He looked awful this year, when he was actually healthy enough to even play.  I know he is only going to enter year 9 and is 30 (so theoretically right in the middle of his prime), but I do think the years of battling vastly bigger players has taken a toll on his body.   I certainly could be wrong and maybe he some life left when he goes back into his 3rd or 4th man type role, but I just wouldn't bet on Dray being a really effective player going forward.
He really wasn't, he was an elite defensive anchor who was a really good 3rd or 4th option (he can't scale up at all due to his complete lack of a scoring game, but his passing, screen setting and transition game make him a very good 3rd or 4th guy on a quality offence). Certainly a top 10-15 player from 2015-2019 imo.

As for this season I felt he wasn't really locked in rather than being washed due the Warriors sucking without Curry and Thompson. I think he'll be fine going forward, he might not be a top 10-15 player anymore but I don't see why can't be an All-Star calibre player even if he deteriorates a bit.
Guys who peak at 3rd or 4th options aren't top 10 to 15 players in the game.  That is why I think he was vastly overrated.  He was an excellent defender and solid distributor, but that doesn't make you a top 15 player let alone a top 10 one.  That is what I mean when I say he was vastly overrated.
I think Draymond was comfortably in the top 20 from 2014-2018 sat comfortably in the top 20 in the league. DPOY level play on one end, great playmaking and decent offence on the other.

I think if Draymond gets a clean run of health this year he'll return to that 10-7-7 guy

Yeah.  If the C's could add that Draymond to this team it would be over.  Title next year.  At his best he was savage out there.  Truly a make things happen on both ends kind of player.

Re: Building around Tatum and brown is a mistake
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2020, 08:19:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Draymond was vastly overrated when the Warriors were winning and in his prime, but I think he is washed.  He looked awful this year, when he was actually healthy enough to even play.  I know he is only going to enter year 9 and is 30 (so theoretically right in the middle of his prime), but I do think the years of battling vastly bigger players has taken a toll on his body.   I certainly could be wrong and maybe he some life left when he goes back into his 3rd or 4th man type role, but I just wouldn't bet on Dray being a really effective player going forward.
He really wasn't, he was an elite defensive anchor who was a really good 3rd or 4th option (he can't scale up at all due to his complete lack of a scoring game, but his passing, screen setting and transition game make him a very good 3rd or 4th guy on a quality offence). Certainly a top 10-15 player from 2015-2019 imo.

As for this season I felt he wasn't really locked in rather than being washed due the Warriors sucking without Curry and Thompson. I think he'll be fine going forward, he might not be a top 10-15 player anymore but I don't see why can't be an All-Star calibre player even if he deteriorates a bit.
Guys who peak at 3rd or 4th options aren't top 10 to 15 players in the game.  That is why I think he was vastly overrated.  He was an excellent defender and solid distributor, but that doesn't make you a top 15 player let alone a top 10 one.  That is what I mean when I say he was vastly overrated.
You'd be correct if basketball was only played on one end of the floor. Defence still matters a lot even in the modern NBA, an elite defensive anchor with neutral offence ala Gobert is enough to vault a player into the top 10-15 conversation. If anything Draymond is underrated with this insane offensive bias that exists in NBA fandom.
I don't think Gobert is a top 15 player either, though at least Gobert is an elite rebounder and a far more consistent scorer and unlike Green actually protects the rim.  Obviously not the playmaker that Green was and doesn't quite have the defensive versatility, but I'd put Gobert slightly ahead of Green though somewhat similar in value.  And that is again why I believe Green was vastly overrated because neither Green nor Gobert are/were top 15 players.

Draymond Green is one of the best rim-protectors in the league. Shot blocking isn’t the only way to get it done.
Sure, but he was also 6'7" and not exactly a big guy, which is why guys like Bogut and Zaza were starting and playing a fair amount of the time.  The death lineup was successful because of the offensive advantages, not by having a little guy play center defensively.  Draymond was an elite versatile defender and great playmaker, but he wasn't anywhere near a top 15 player, which is why he was vastly overrated.  We saw that this year.  When your skills aren't scalable, you aren't nearly as good as your reputation.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip