Author Topic: Building around Tatum and Brown is a Mistake  (Read 11940 times)

Re: Building around Tatum and brown is a mistake
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Just curious, what would Draymond trade value look like? He could replace the need for playmaking in the starting lineup.

Draymond
Hayward
Brown
Tatum
Draft Pick

🧐

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just curious, what would Draymond trade value look like? He could replace the need for playmaking in the starting lineup.

Draymond
Hayward
Brown
Tatum
Draft Pick

🧐

Draymond Green cant battle AD nor Bam

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2020, 11:50:37 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Draymond
Hayward
Brown
Tatum
Draft Pick

🧐
I think GSW made him one of their untouchables so we're not getting him unless we trade a stupid package for him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2020, 12:04:48 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I don't see a better young tandem to build around in the entire NBA.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I see that DA is trying.  We have all star kemba and pretty good Hayward (when healthy).  But those guys are older and wouldn't be here during much of their peak.  And, that was good enough for third in the east and only half way to a title.  That’s not good enough.

People forget that Washington made it to the eastern conference final with wall and Beal.  Lillard and McCollum have been very successful in portland but haven’t really been good enough.  That’s the level more of less I see for Tatum and brown.

I am the biggest Damian Lillard fan that exists on this forum. I feel confident in that (Thanks, DKC). But Lillard and McCollum are much harder to build around than Tatum/Brown. And also, were much older when the process started. For context, Jayson Tatum was 2 years younger than Lillard in his first All-Star game in a more dominant season. Brown right now is as good of a player or better than McCollum, at the same time, positional scarcity really tilts this in Boston's favor.

While Kemba is an all-star caliber player, if we had to replace Kemba's production it would be a lot easier to adjust for that than if we had to replace Tatum or Brown's, due to their 2-way value.

And keep in mind, these guys are 22 and 23. 

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2020, 12:31:30 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I see that DA is trying.  We have all star kemba and pretty good Hayward (when healthy).  But those guys are older and wouldn't be here during much of their peak.  And, that was good enough for third in the east and only half way to a title.  That’s not good enough.

People forget that Washington made it to the eastern conference final with wall and Beal.  Lillard and McCollum have been very successful in portland but haven’t really been good enough.  That’s the level more of less I see for Tatum and brown.

I am the biggest Damian Lillard fan that exists on this forum. I feel confident in that (Thanks, DKC). But Lillard and McCollum are much harder to build around than Tatum/Brown. And also, were much older when the process started. For context, Jayson Tatum was 2 years younger than Lillard in his first All-Star game in a more dominant season. Brown right now is as good of a player or better than McCollum, at the same time, positional scarcity really tilts this in Boston's favor.

While Kemba is an all-star caliber player, if we had to replace Kemba's production it would be a lot easier to adjust for that than if we had to replace Tatum or Brown's, due to their 2-way value.

I'll challenge you as the biggest Lillard fan on the forum, but agree on all accounts.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2020, 03:51:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The only one I'd consider to being close is Luka and Kristaps, especially if KP can play like he did in the bubble
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2020, 06:07:54 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Depends on where you draw the age limit. Who qualifies as a 'young' player?

Joel Embiid is only one year younger than Anthony Davis. Malcolm Brogdon is only 9 months younger than Kyrie Irving. Buddy Hield is older than Bradley Beal. Pascal Siakam is older than Julius Randle.
Then you also have guys like Aaron Gordon (24) and Andrew Wiggins (25) who are still quite young, but also have been 6+ years in the league.

I think I'd draw the boundary at 25 or younger, but established players as Giannis Antetokounmpo and Nikola Jokic still qualify then.

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2020, 10:09:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
That may be true, but there are also better top end players.  Like I'd take Luka (alone) over our two guys.  It is hard to scale and getting a guy like Luka is more valuable than getting 2 players like Tatum and Brown.  To that end, a guy like Zion is intriguing and they have Ingram there who was an all star.  So maybe you'd take Zion/Ingram over Tatum/Brown.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2020, 10:51:46 AM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
That may be true, but there are also better top end players.  Like I'd take Luka (alone) over our two guys.  It is hard to scale and getting a guy like Luka is more valuable than getting 2 players like Tatum and Brown.  To that end, a guy like Zion is intriguing and they have Ingram there who was an all star.  So maybe you'd take Zion/Ingram over Tatum/Brown.
Giannis needs to get himself to Dallas.

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2020, 10:58:53 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I'll challenge you as the biggest Lillard fan on the forum, but agree on all accounts.

IP sets a very high bar for Lillard fandom.  This isn't some recent thing.  There's history there.

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Jury is out on Zion after his bubble performance, which was abysmal. Also a big question as to whether his body can sustain his weight, and whether he has discipline to keep weight off. 

As of today, no way would I trade Jaylen/Jayson for Zion/Ingram.

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Jury is out on Zion after his bubble performance, which was abysmal. Also a big question as to whether his body can sustain his weight, and whether he has discipline to keep weight off. 

As of today, no way would I trade Jaylen/Jayson for Zion/Ingram.
I get the injury concerns, and he obviously missed 3 games in the bubble.  His first two he wasn't very good, but his last 3 he scored 23, 24, and 25 shooting 29 of 52 (55.8%) adding 16 rebounds and 8 assists and played like 24 mpg.  The talent in the kid is undeniable. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2020, 11:48:05 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I disagree. What makes Tatum and Brown so unique is their elite wing defense. Surround them with a few other defenders like Marcus and it has a cumulative effect. As jaw dropping as Luka is on offense, he's never going to be better than OK on defense. Dallas has two stars that are like traffic cones for Tatum and Brown, while they will D up on Dallas as well as anyone in the league.

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I understand that you maybe apprehensive about the ceilings of Tatum and Brown, but you really shouldn't be. We may never win a Title, but with 30 teams in the league, that is very difficult to do. And it won't be because Tatum and Brown aren't good enough.

It won't be because Tatum and Brown are not good enough - it will be because Danny refuses to invest in a quality center. For all the money we are laying out for Walker and Hayward, that would have been better spent on a very good center, a playmaking point-guard and a shooter off the bench. Tatum and Brown aren't the problem - it is the fact that we keep signing and drafting perimeter players . Case in point: Danny passes on Brandon Clark last year for a very risky selection of Langford. How many of these guys do we need ? We will never win a title with a purely small-ball team, though Brad and Danny are obsessed with building a Golden State East team, come hell or high water. Danny must have secretly wanted to play for the Lakers in the 80's.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce