Author Topic: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down  (Read 40312 times)

Re: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
"If" Mcdyess were to get bought out by Denver, and signed with Detroit, what are your opinions on this trade? Would you fear the Pistons more? Or less? Dumars has done the same thing with Lindsey Hunter, where he went to Boston (without ever coming to Boston) and than just went back to Detroit.

Then I'd say good move for both teams.

If McDyess does get bought out, I expect a few teams to go after him and we had better be one of those teams.

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2008, 04:13:13 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think it's important to note that Iverson can play defense when the mood strikes him. He did for Larry Brown in Phily. Put him in a tough Detroit squad full of capable defensive players and he could raise his D in a big way. Iverson has been dogging it for the last few years on the defensive end, but he is a capable defensive player.

He played the passing lanes.  Philly had defensive players at every other position and a big shot blocker (ratlif then Mutumbo) to cover for AI.  

It worked in the weak east then.  It hasn't worked since.  Certainly not going to work against Boston who has guys that will hurt them if they have to scramble to cover for AI playing the passing lanes.

Which is what they have in Detroit.

Minus the weak East. 

But plus a better overall defensive team with Detroit, full of players who have won a championship on the merits of their defense.

No.  It isn't.

The defensive team that won a title is gone.  No longer has the PG that disrupts the other teams offense.  No longer has the cleanup man in the paint. 

They have two defensive players in the lineup, Prince and Wallace.  They don't even have the attack dog PG off the bench anymore with Hunter. 

First off, I think you underrate Rip's team D. So they have three players from a championship caliber defense, plus a young enforcer in the paint (Maxiell, I'm not sold on Johnson) and a young combo guard who is more than capable of guarding either guard slot, presumably coming off the bench. This team is more than equipped to handle AI's defensive gambles. And even if they do drop slightly defensively, AI's offense makes up for that. This team is far superior to the 76's team he made the finals with and is still an elite team that could easily make the finals.

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2008, 04:15:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think it's important to note that Iverson can play defense when the mood strikes him. He did for Larry Brown in Phily. Put him in a tough Detroit squad full of capable defensive players and he could raise his D in a big way. Iverson has been dogging it for the last few years on the defensive end, but he is a capable defensive player.

He played the passing lanes.  Philly had defensive players at every other position and a big shot blocker (ratlif then Mutumbo) to cover for AI.  

It worked in the weak east then.  It hasn't worked since.  Certainly not going to work against Boston who has guys that will hurt them if they have to scramble to cover for AI playing the passing lanes.

Minus the weak East. 

But plus a better overall defensive team with Detroit, full of players who have won a championship on the merits of their defense.

No.  It isn't.

The defensive team that won a title is gone.  No longer has the PG that disrupts the other teams offense.  No longer has the cleanup man in the paint. 

They have two defensive players in the lineup, Prince and Wallace.  They don't even have the attack dog PG off the bench anymore with Hunter. 

First off, I think you underrate Rip's team D. So they have three players from a championship caliber defense, plus a young enforcer in the paint (Maxiell, I'm not sold on Johnson) and a young combo guard who is more than capable of guarding either guard slot, presumably coming off the bench. This team is more than equipped to handle AI's defensive gambles. And even if they do drop slightly defensively, AI's offense makes up for that. This team is far superior to the 76's team he made the finals with and is still an elite team that could easily make the finals.

again, if there was a time machine avalable, im right with you.

but the A.I that dragged that team kicking and screming to the finals is long gone, thanks to age and injury's starting to catch up with him. He's still a deadly scorer, but he's not the crazy impact player he was back then.

it's not his fault, and sooner rather than later it will start happening to us, but He's look markedly slower the last few years.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2008, 04:17:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I know what the reports are saying, but I don't get why McDyess wouldn't want to play for the Nuggets.

He started his career in Denver, then the Nuggets traded him away.  When he was a free agent he chose to sign again with Denver leaving a Phoenix team coming off 56 wins with Jason Kidd, Kevin Johnson, and Steve Nash all on the roster. Phoenix tried to re-sign McDyess and made a strong push for him too(from memory, could be mistaken though).  Now if you're leaving a team with those 3 unselfish point guards to go back to Denver you got to figure the guy likes it in Denver (granted Nash and Johnson weren't back the next year but we're talking Kidd coming into his prime...)

Also Denver is a good team with a good core.  They're coming off a 50 win season, have a still-getting-better All-Star in Anthony (whereas Detroit's stars are all on the decline) and have several solid players.  As it is now, I say Denver still wins 50+ games this year and is in the playoffs, and I think they have about as good a chance to win it all in Denver as they do in Detroit.

I mean I could understand if the guy was traded to OKC, but I would figure he would like playing in Denver again.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I know what the reports are saying, but I don't get why McDyess wouldn't want to play for the Nuggets.

He started his career in Denver, then the Nuggets traded him away.  When he was a free agent he chose to sign again with Denver leaving a Phoenix team coming off 56 wins with Jason Kidd, Kevin Johnson, and Steve Nash all on the roster. Phoenix tried to re-sign McDyess and made a strong push for him too(from memory, could be mistaken though).  Now if you're leaving a team with those 3 unselfish point guards to go back to Denver you got to figure the guy likes it in Denver (granted Nash and Johnson weren't back the next year but we're talking Kidd coming into his prime...)

Also Denver is a good team with a good core.  They're coming off a 50 win season, have a still-getting-better All-Star in Anthony (whereas Detroit's stars are all on the decline) and have several solid players.  As it is now, I say Denver still wins 50+ games this year and is in the playoffs, and I think they have about as good a chance to win it all in Denver as they do in Detroit.

I mean I could understand if the guy was traded to OKC, but I would figure he would like playing in Denver again.

he loves detroit by all accounts, and the NBA system is easy to screw over to get back to the team that traded you.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2008, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Minus the weak East. 

No.  It isn't.

again, if there was a time machine avalable, im right with you.

but the A.I that dragged that team kicking and screming to the finals is long gone, thanks to age and injury's starting to catch up with him. He's still a deadly scorer, but he's not the crazy impact player he was back then.

it's not his fault, and sooner rather than later it will start happening to us, but He's look markedly slower the last few years.

That's the beauty of this Detroit team, they don't need him to be an impact player all the time. However, when it's crunch time and they need someone to take over a game or two in the playoffs( which has been their flaw), now they finally have that player who can take over. A player who can respond to a LeBron or a Duncan or a Pierce. I think AI is dangerous on this team.

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I like the deal for Detroit. They get the superstar they need, opposed to the great system player they had. They added a whole lot of cap flexibility, they will appearantly be able to add two max players to their roster in the "summer of lebron" if they play their cards right.

I also think Billups was a big part of what was wrong with Detroit's attitude the last couple of years. I think he was one of the biggest advocates of the nonchalant attitude of the Pistons. He really bought into the idea that they get no respect, that regular season games didn't matter, and that they could coast through games, but still win.

Iverson adds a bit of the hunger that was missing from the team without tying their hands financially. I'm positive they weren't going to win it with Billups this year. It's still a long shot and a big risk with Iverson, but I think it's a gamble worth taking. I think now we'll see how good or bad Iverson really is. At the very least the Pistons will care more about a championship instead of living off their past.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:36:41 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
I like the deal for Detroit. They get the superstar they need, opposed to the great system player they had. They added a whole lot of cap flexibility, they will appearantly be able to add two max players to their roster in the "summer of lebron" if they play their cards right.

I also think Billups was a big part of what was wrong with Detroit's attitude the last couple of years. I think he was one of the biggest advocates of the nonchalant attitude of the Pistons. He really bought into the idea that they get no respect, that regular season games didn't matter, and that they could coast through games, but still win.

Iverson adds a bit of the hunger that was missing from the team without tying their hands financially. I'm positive they weren't going to win it with Billups this year. It's still a long shot and a big risk with Iverson, but I think it's a gamble worth taking. I think now we'll see how good or bad Iverson really is. At the very least the Pistons will care more about a championship instead of living off there past.

This is a good point, now the Pistons have someone who is driven to win a championship again. The more I think about this, the scarier the Pistons are, especially if they get McDyess back.

« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
So who is setting up Rip? because it won't be allen.

Joe Dumars, for Rip to get traded. HIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lol TP, that was good. :D

And one for you sir.

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2008, 04:43:56 PM »

Offline GWVan

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8
The Gary Payton Rule. The unofficial name for an NBA rule passed in 2005 which stipulates that players who are traded and then waived by their new team cannot sign back with the team that traded them for 30 days (20 days in the offseason).
30 days to get Dice
Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Gabe Pruitt better get ready, because we will be done if we expect Eddie House to cover either Stuckey or Iverson.

« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Rex Champman says that Dice will stay with Denver

There was talk the Nuggets might buy out the remainder of McDyess' contract and he could eventually return to the Pistons, but Rex Chapman, Denver's vice president of player personnel, said McDyess would stay with the team. It would mark McDyess' third tenure with the Nuggets.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/03/nuggets-pistons-discuss-iverson--billups-deal/

« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Gabe Pruitt better get ready, because we will be done if we expect Eddie House to cover either Stuckey or Iverson.

Tony Allen can handle both of them in single coverage.

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »

Offline hoopaddict08

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'm starting to like this trade the more I think about it.
Here is how I think the lineup should be for Detroit.

1. Rodney Stuckey (20-24 mins)
2. Allen Iverson(35-37 minutes)/Richard Hamilton (34 minutes)/Aaron Afflalo
3. Tayshaun Prince/Walter Herrmann(this guy has been looking amazing)
4. Amir Johnson/Jason Maxiell/(If Mcdyess comes back, or free agent)
5. Rasheed Wallace/Kwame Brown

If it were Flip Saunders coaching I think this team would be a disaster waiting to happen, but I think Curry is going to get the respect from Iverson and Hamilton if he indeed wants to have Hamilton off the bench (with starter minutes).

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2008, 05:08:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

going to be rondo or TA i imagine, nothing changed with our guards in terms of defense against the pistons.