Author Topic: Potential backup point guard: Jason Williams  (Read 5210 times)

Potential backup point guard: Jason Williams
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:55:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What do people think of bringing in Jason Williams on a one-year minimum contract deal to fill in the backup point guard position?

His strengths: He's an above-average passer and shooter, and he knows how to push the tempo.  He should be cheap, and motivated to play well.

His weaknesses: He hasn't played in the NBA in a year and is 33 years old, he's had some health problems, he's not great in any one area, his defense is mediocre (although not necessarily bad), and his character is colorful. 

I'd prefer an option like Anthony Carter or Bobby Jackson, but I'd be tempted to take a flyer on Williams if other options are gone.  I'm not sure where I'd place Williams in relation to Starbury, but I do know that if my option was pay Williams the minimum or pay Starbury more than that, I'd go with Williams.  I'd rank Williams above Pruitt as a point guard option for next season.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:20:30 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Potential backup point guard: Jason Williams
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:57:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd love it if it were unguaranteed. If we deal Rondo I'll love it more. As long as it's minimum. My only reservation is I'm not sure if he's better than Marbury. It might be sorta starting over in a one-step-forward-one-back sorta way

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:03:28 AM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
JWill's problems lately have been about staying healthy(especially with his knees)...that also affects his shooting.

I don't think we should risk it unless, as someone said, we give him an unguaranteed contract to see if he has anything left.  JWill is no spring-chicken anymore, you know...

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:30:20 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
What do people think of bringing in Jason Williams on a one-year minimum contract deal to fill in the backup point guard position?

His strengths: He's an above-average passer and shooter, and he knows how to push the tempo.  He should be cheap, and motivated to play well.

His weaknesses: He hasn't played in the NBA in a year and is 33 years old, he's had some health problems, he's not great in any one area, his defense is mediocre (although not necessarily bad), and his character is colorful. 

I'd prefer an option like Anthony Carter or Bobby Jackson, but I'd be tempted to take a flyer on Williams if other options are gone.  I'm not sure where I'd place Williams in relation to Starbury, but I do know that if my option was pay Williams the minimum or pay Starbury more than that, I'd go with Williams.  I'd rank Williams above Pruitt as a point guard option for next season.

I always liked Williams. If he's in shape, I would say he would be a nice backup for Rajon.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:16:11 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Well I'd rather Williams than Marbury.  My thought for a pg is vet who can come in play good d and not make turnovers.  I seem to remember williams hot dogging it like he was cooz but throwing the ball out of bounds a lot.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Gabe Pruitt is a better player, nevermind Eddie House or Stephon Marbury.

Jason Williams isn't an NBA level player anymore.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Gabe Pruitt is a better player, nevermind Eddie House or Stephon Marbury.

Jason Williams isn't an NBA level player anymore.
I'd actually like to see Gabe get some burn , I thought he was looking pretty good with consistent playing time last year prior to marbury getting those minutes.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20
Well I'd rather Williams than Marbury.  My thought for a pg is vet who can come in play good d and not make turnovers.  I seem to remember williams hot dogging it like he was cooz but throwing the ball out of bounds a lot.

I think Williams did most of that flashy style in his much, much younger years. As he got older and better it seemed like he was more committed to controlling the tempo and getting his teammates good shots. However, there were times when he would just come down the court and launch a three. I always hated that about him. As the seasons went on though he became, what I thought, was a pretty decent defender and terrific point guard who was constantly up there with his Assist to Turnover Ratio. 

That being said, I do not think he would be a good fit for our beloved Celtics. Like an earlier poster mentioned, he has been out the league now for over a year and it would take some time for him to get back into condition. Also, I would question his committment at this time. Remember, this is the same man who signed with the Clippers last year and then decided to retire about a month later. At this point I would much rather try and retain Marbury.
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:19 AM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20

[/quote]
I'd actually like to see Gabe get some burn , I thought he was looking pretty good with consistent playing time last year prior to marbury getting those minutes.
[/quote]

I think I am fed up with both the Gabe Pruitt and Tony Allen experiments. I would think about trading them both for a case of beer and some Tacos.
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Invite him to camp and let him earn a contract. 

Rather Carter or Jackson as well.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 09:49:58 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What about Tinsley?  A trade of TA, Scali and JR seems to work money wise.  His contract is only for 2 seasons.

Completely out of favor there. 

And who knows, they could waive Scali and he could come back to Boston for less money.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 09:57:47 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Is this what got you thinking of Williams, Roy?

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/200906180035

While glad to be home with his wife and three children, age 7, 4, and 13 months, the time away from the game also stoked his competitive fire.

As a result, Williams is seriously considering a return to the NBA.

"The free agency period opens up July 1, and I should be good to go then," Williams said.

"If I do decide to play, I'd like to play two or three more years. That's about it.

"I'm not 100 percent that I'll play again, but it's more than 50/50 that I'm going to try. But if it doesn't happen, trust me, I won't lose any sleep."

That's because Williams, who had no interest in golf when he entered the NBA, now spends too much time on the links to sleep.

"Basketball is on the back burner right now," Williams joked. "It's all about golf."

Sounds like he's thinking about coming back, but only for the right situation. Would that be as a backup on a championship contender?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Jason "white chocolate" Williams?
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »

Offline Mr21

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
What do you think as a backup? he COULD be reinstated on july 1st.

Re: Jason "white chocolate" Williams?
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 03:16:07 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'd rather not have our backup PG out of retirement. But then again I never want to see Antoine again either.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like Williams much better than what weve got in Pruitt and if we could sign him to a vet min Id take the chance. The only thing Id be leary about is his work ethic and motivation. Recently he was quoted as saying he wasnt sure if basketball was his main priority and that he needs to figure out if it is and that he could easily walk away from the game at this point. Something along those lines. That scares me a little. If he doesnt put his everything into playing the game I dont know if Id want him here.

I love the thought of Bobby Jackson, not so sure if I feel the same about Carter....But personally, Id rather have Marbury back the most out of them all. With a full offseason and preseason under his belt I think Marbury would be able to turn some heads next year and play some great bench ball... He looked rusty and needed to get some kinks out but I wouldnt mind having him back. Esepcially if he plays the way he did in Orlando seris game one... before Doc benched him for scoring 14 points in the first half ( ::))