Author Topic: Can't wait for Portland game!!  (Read 3305 times)

Can't wait for Portland game!!
« on: December 03, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is anyone else getting really psyched waiting to see the Celtics take on the Trailblazers on Friday night? I know I am!!

There are really only a handful of games that I can't wait to attend or watch during the regular season. When the Celtics were bad all those years it was always San Antonio, New York and New Jersey. So after last year I took a look at the schedule and besides opening night and the Lakers game, this is the one game I had circled on my calendar.

Portland is going to be the NBA World Champions within 5 years, I'm convinced of that. They have some of the best, mature-for-their-age-and-experience players in the league today in Oden, Aldridge, Roy, Rodriguez and Fernandez and in the couple of times I've watched them this year they have impressed. Watching the current NBA elite take on the future NBA elite this Friday is going to be a joy for me as, unlike the Cavs, Lakers, and Pistons, Portland is a very likable team.

The matchups I look forward to seeing are:

Oden vs Perk - Perk has a knack of playing big men, big time and I am really interested to see what Oden can do when faced with some tough, Eastern Conference, big man style defense that is at it's pinnacle when it is Perk doing the defending. Very interesting matchup.

Roy vs Ray - Roy is probably my favorite player not on the Celtics and the sky is really the limit as to just how good he could get. He may not be flashy and flamboyant like Kobe or huge and powerful like LeBron but Roy is one of the best young basketball players in the league.

Aldridge vs KG - I think KG should come out way ahead here but Aldridge is a player made in the same type of mold as KG and it should be fun to watch as Aldridge's game seems to be growing year by year.

Should be a great game!! I really can't wait.

Re: Can't wait for Portland game!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I agree - the fact that it's on Friday night and I can relax and have a beer or six just adds to the "event" feel that so few regular season games get.  Portland are road warriors this year too, and the last time we played them (I think - it was during that post-ASB road trip) they got up by 15 or so but we came back on em.  There's no way they don't remember that, and they'll be itching to take us down.

And yeah, they look to be perennial championship contenders within the next 1-3 years - but the team they most remind me of right now is the late-80s Cavs squads with Daugherty, Harper, Price, Ehlo, etc.  Those teams were also filled with likeable young budding stars and roleplayers and seemed like they would set the world on fire.  I remember Magic calling them "the team of the 90s".  I'm not saying they'll disappear in a puff of smoke like those Cavs squads, in fact I hope they do realize their potential as they are a likable team, but nothing is guaranteed in the NBA. 

I also think they're a reliable post scorer away from really getting to the elite - they're big time jumpshooters right now, and that style is prone to slumps and getting shut down by good defenses like ours.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
can't watch it and won't be near a TV all weekend pretty much  :'(

I'd really like to see that one
Yup

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:00:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm going on vacation for ten days starting Saturday morning so this will probably be the last game I get to see for a while so it had better live up to the hype that I am building up in my mind over it.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 06:32:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've had this game circled for a while on my calendar.  Huge Oden fan and love the youngsters on Portland.  Friday night is gonna be a blast and I will be there!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:33:10 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
It's also one of those games that' i've circled down that i will be staying up all night to watch! i agree with you nick its a very likeable team, most def helped along by their streak last year and the way the NBA markedet them during the stretch.

I do believe that the game will be won by limiting guard penetration, Oden and Aldridge match up well with both our bigs but they will not beat us on pure matchup.

For most likeable player outside the Celtics i would like to throw in Devin Harris's name into the bowl!
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Yeah. I can't wait either. You're right, Nick, Portland is a very likable team. They've played great so far. This is one will be on National Television so I'm glad I could watch it. I'm a big fan of Brandon Roy also.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 06:43:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
yes I am looking forward to it
(a) I lived in Portland for a while, so still have a like of the Blazers;
(b) since I now live in the Bay Area, it is one of the handful of games I can see on TV

That said --- we better be careful that focusing on the Blazers on Friday doesn't turn tonight's game against Indy into a trap game.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:48:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Why would the Celtics be focusing on the Blazers instead of Indy? Indy just beat the Lakers, and they also beat the Celtics earlier in the season, one of their two loses. So I really can't envision the Celtics overlooking them because they're looking forward to the Blazers.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'll echo the excitement of others in this thread...really excited to see Portland play. I think the Celts are obviously much stronger this year, and Portland is a good 2-3 years away from being contenders. But, health permitting...imagine this Blazers team in 2-3 years with all the current players maturing...PLUS a top free agent or stud acquired through a trade? They're going to be absolutely sick, and should be legit title contenders for about 7 years given their youth. Just wow.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 10:10:30 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm looking forward to it because its one of the games I get on TV. Plus Portland is a fun team to watch.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
What will be most interesting to me is Perk vs Oden. I think Perk dominates and he sees more Pryzbilla than Oden. Roy vs Ray will also be good, but it will take Roy out of his game. Paul and Rondo will both have field day IMO. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 12:13:34 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Rondo versus Blake/Rodrigez
KG versus Aldridge

should be good too.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 02:34:56 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
And yeah, they look to be perennial championship contenders within the next 1-3 years - but the team they most remind me of right now is the late-80s Cavs squads with Daugherty, Harper, Price, Ehlo, etc.  Those teams were also filled with likeable young budding stars and roleplayers and seemed like they would set the world on fire.  I remember Magic calling them "the team of the 90s".  I'm not saying they'll disappear in a puff of smoke like those Cavs squads, in fact I hope they do realize their potential as they are a likable team, but nothing is guaranteed in the NBA. 

I couldn't agree more.  As much as I like the Blazers and want them to succeed, I refuse to jump on the bandwagon just yet.  The NBA is littered with examples of teams that go on nice runs, or look promising for one reason or another, but can't get over the hump for various reasons. 

Celtics fan for life.