Author Topic: Pierce and the back up Small forward spot...  (Read 3032 times)

Pierce and the back up Small forward spot...
« on: December 03, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
1. Would have liked to have had Posey back, but I understand why Ainge set a limit in bringing him back and personally think Posey would've been much better off stayign in Boston and collecting rings. Don't think he'll sniff one agian in New Orleans before his time is up. Not with Portland, Utah and the Lakers around.

2. I like Tony Allen's play and Scal has been filling in quite well but I still think TAllen is best at off guard and Scal only works in certain situations at SF, so I really feel like we need one more small forward.

Two question on this I'd be interested in your feed back.

A guy I really liked once I knew Pose was gone and we could have had for cheap ( he signed for the Vet Min with Phoenix) is Matt Barnes. Tough, defends, has a decent 3 point shot, goes hard to basket as well and plays a physical style that would fit right in with Boston. Not Posey but heck, not a bad replacnment coming off the bench for 10-15 minutes a night.

Does anyone agree and why do you suppose we heard no rumors of this Kid? I think he would have been a perfect fit...and cheap.

2. I think it is an obvious and galring need for us, along with one more big man ( come back for one more run PJ! )  Do you suppose Ainge will make a move for another small forward?

3. Supposing he doesn't make a move one has to figure he must feel that either Walker of Giddens will be able to fill that role by 3/4 year of by the playoffs. If this is the case, don't you think we should be getting one of them minutes now, throw them into the fire?

Thoughts?   

Re: Pierce and the back up Small forward spot...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
My guess is that the roster is just full. Ainge had two picks, and probably likes both Walker and Giddens (OK, he acquired the Walker pick by trade) better than Barnes.

Barnes is statistically overrated from being on a lousy, high-powered offensive team. Wouldn't have been a terrible signing, but I think between Allen, Scal, Walker, Giddens, he probably figures we can cobble the minutes together based on matchups. If teams went big on us we could throw BBD in at the 3; if they go small, stick with Tony, etc.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I read that Portland would be willing to move Travis Outlaw to Memphis in a trade to get back Conley (Oden's old running mate) who is being displaced by Mayo, possibly.  I don't know if Travis could get got, but I like him a lot.  I don't know how much Portland would be asking for though....

I also like Mbah a Moute on the Bucks but I dont think he's going anywhere.

Then again, I like Scal.  He just needs better sneakers.
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I agree TA and Scal are sf in situations only, but honestly how much is pierce going to be sitting?
I actually like Walker at sf and would like to see him get some nba minutes before playoffs.  While short (i think) he really plays sf well imo and adds a toughness most rookies don't have for years.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 02:32:23 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I agree TA and Scal are sf in situations only, but honestly how much is pierce going to be sitting?
I actually like Walker at sf and would like to see him get some nba minutes before playoffs.  While short (i think) he really plays sf well imo and adds a toughness most rookies don't have for years.

the counter to this is how many oversized (read 6'7-8) SF's really drive so well or shoot over the top that tony's lack of size scares you that we see alot during the regular season as well. I mean lebron, obviously, wallace when healthy, granger....I know im missing a few WC ones.

but honestly outside of those, TA is fine in short stretchs with scal ready to give fouls for the remaining time paul sits.

I hope, though not sure how realistic it is that we either add a 3/4 combo forward or grow walker up enough that they can help TA during the playoffs with the 6-8 minutes he'll be asked to defend the elite on a nightly basis, but thats a long way away.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 02:34:20 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I want to say that Barnes did the right thing going to Phoenix. He is starting there and getting over 30 MPG. You can't get every player you want because the player also has a say in where they go. Even if Danny were to have offered as much as Phoenix did, Barnes didn't have a chance of starting and the weather would be crappy.

But when you look at his salary, the veterans minimum, you have to wonder. His agent shouldn't get a penny of that.

Maybe Danny just didn't like Barnes. Or maybe they liked TA too much and Barnes wasn't willing to come to a situation without definite minutes since he's working for next year's contract.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Does anyone agree and why do you suppose we heard no rumors of this Kid? I think he would have been a perfect fit...and cheap.

I just want to point out that the fact that we "heard no rumors" means absolutely nothing.  For all we know, Danny made a decent offer, and he was turned down.  95% of the discussions about FA's and trade, never make it to the public (and probably about 50% of what does make it to the public is total BS).

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:26:53 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Well, there really is only room for one more player, and I would be more worried about adding a backup center that stands 6'10"+ than another wing.

If you think about it, Scal is bringing the same things to the table that Pose did.  Spot up 3's, and solid defense with the ability to play 3 or 4.

Throw in the emergence of Tony Allen and I really don't see this glaring hole at the 3.  Those 2 guys have been entrenched in our system for years and are more than capable of giving us solid minutes behind Paul this year in the playoffs.

Looking ahead to June, Doc has his 10 man rotation established, and Cassell will surely be activated leaving one more spot for an active player.  That last spot has to go to a long, defensive-minded big.  Hopefully its PJ and not POB...

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »

Offline NC Axeman

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I don't know about Scal providing good defense at the 3... He looks pretty slow out there for that.  Aganst Charlotte for instance he looked fine when guarding Morrison, but he was hopeless when Wallace went back in.  He looks to be able to guard most 4s, but the 3 spot is usually a much quicker guy.  I agree with the original poster that the back up 3 is about the weakest postion we have, although more height at the back-up 5 would be nice too!

I used to agree with the guys that said it wasn't a problem because PP played so many minutes that anyone could fill in for the 6 that he sat... but now his minutes played are down to about 30 over the last 6-10 games so we're talking about 18 minutes a game with someone either too short or too slow covering that position.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 04:10:48 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Paul's been playing less minutes because they have been blowing people out.  I think I can deal with Scali giving up some easy baskets leading to only 15 point wins instead of 20 point blow outs.  I'm not against adding someone but, with the current roster it's going to be have to be done by trade and I really don't see that happening.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I dont mean to sound condescending or disrespectful, but seriously we're 16-2 and the teams working on a great winning streak.  I understand the debate about us having holes that could be filled, but shouldnt we wait until teams starting taking advantage of these holes on a nightly basis before we worry about them, or at least even once?  There hasnt been one game yet this year where Ive said "Man, the backup SF situation is killing us right now."  Ive watched one, maybe two games where I said, our lack of size on the second unit is killing us on the boards right now.  Its not an issue in my opinion.

and for the record....I was one of those people freaking out before the season about backup SF and Center.  Right now, my mind is completely at ease about it.  Of course if PJ said he wants to come back, I'd sign him in a second, but if he doesnt I dont think it'll make or break our season.  We have until March to sign free agents that we would want on the playoff roster.  Plenty of time to keep an eye on problems.......
Greg

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I dont mean to sound condescending or disrespectful, but seriously we're 16-2 and the teams working on a great winning streak.  I understand the debate about us having holes that could be filled, but shouldnt we wait until teams starting taking advantage of these holes on a nightly basis before we worry about them, or at least even once?  There hasnt been one game yet this year where Ive said "Man, the backup SF situation is killing us right now."  Ive watched one, maybe two games where I said, our lack of size on the second unit is killing us on the boards right now.  Its not an issue in my opinion.

and for the record....I was one of those people freaking out before the season about backup SF and Center.  Right now, my mind is completely at ease about it.  Of course if PJ said he wants to come back, I'd sign him in a second, but if he doesnt I dont think it'll make or break our season.  We have until March to sign free agents that we would want on the playoff roster.  Plenty of time to keep an eye on problems.......

Don't discredit this team my friend, we're 17-2 not 16-2.  Other then that I agree with you.  We have a few months to fill out this roster before the playoff run begins. 

Then again, this is Boston, and it's never too early to start the analysis and speculation.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
When I watch the games, all I can think is "Man, Doc is too calm.  I wish we could get more technical fouls on the bench."  Luckily Cassell has stepped up his production.

Kidding aside, I think a back up 3/4 would be very helpful, but there is more than way to address this.  The Celtics have chosen to go with multiple 4s and multiple 2s and have them mix and match to back up Pierce.  So far it seems like it's working so I can't complain.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
When I watch the games, all I can think is "Man, Doc is too calm.  I wish we could get more technical fouls on the bench."  Luckily Cassell has stepped up his production.

Doc is in cruise control.