Author Topic: Some first quarter of season observations of the Celtics  (Read 882 times)

Some first quarter of season observations of the Celtics
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:10:53 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Here is an open ended discussion about anything you have noticed about our team the first quarter of the season.

For me the first thing is the schedule.  8 games in 12 days, 6 back to back games and tied for the most games played in the league.   The schedule has not been very kind to us and the back to back games for the rest of the year are much more spaced out with 9 left.   To have the record we have now in spite of the early schedule really impresses me and can't be overstated.   This isn't football where everyone plays once a week or even baseball with 3 game series in 1 city.   Practice time is important factor in how well teams play and Doc mentioned yesterday they can now get back to a somewhat normal NBA practice schedule. 

The first observation leads into my second one with how well Doc is managing minutes.  Some people thought there could be a problem with the big 3's minutes minus Posey's 24.6 MPG from last year.  Both Paul and Ray averaged 35.9 MPG last year and currently at 36.4 and 35.3.  KG was at 32.8 MPG last year and exactly at 32.8 MPG this year.   I don't see an issue with monitoring their minutes so far this year. 

Much of managing KG's minutes and not having Posey playing the 4 is Perk is playing more minutes this year and we are consistently seeing Powe and Davis play together whereas last year it seemed like 1 or the other would get in the game.  Powe wasn't really part of the rotation until about midseason and BBD had his share DNP CD in the second half of the season playing a total of 69 games.   When I saw these guys play together in the past I thought they played well together and I think they are showing it this year with enough minutes for both of them in games. 

I know not everyone is a TA fan but I am and glad to see he is on his way back.   Charles Barkley mentioned it last week that last year was a free pass for Tony since he wore a big brace on his leg.   For someone that relies so much on his athleticism for how he plays I can't imagine you can play close to what you were playing with a brace like that.   Good to see that brace gone.  5 out of the last 6 games scoring in double digits as he mentioned recently he is 82% back.   Gotta love TA and the things he says and here is hoping he gets to at least 92% back ;D

This leads into the overall health of the team.   PP stands out to me more than anyone else that has changed his body from last year.   It has been said prior to last season he was mostly working on rehabbing from his latest injury whereas this summer he was just purely working on training and doing some work with Ray.  It certainly shows... Ray said his ankles feel much better and even though not 100% as he says he looks much more fresh this year.   Perk seems to have slimmed down and it's affecting his play in a good way.  The weight Perk lost maybe went to Rondo who said he has gained 8 pounds in the offseason.  Rondo could still use some more bulk with the pounding he takes but will get that with age but he has certainly been more aggressive lately.  Maybe the added weight is helping in that regard.  I'd say the one person who really needs to work on his body and core strength is POB.  He gets pushed around too easily for my liking when he is out there but if he can improve in this area I think he can be an asset to this team. 

KG's scoring and rebounding numbers seem to be down compared to last year but I think the reason more than anything else is the improved play of the other starters.  I'm not concerned right now.

I really hate the Scal chants and I think it affects his play.   Many people here were ready to cut him in training camp but he has played reasonably well so far.

The technicals is starting to annoy me.   I just hope it gets under control so people don't have to miss games.   What is it 16 techs then a suspension?  I think Perk is roughly half way there.

The Posey factor maybe?  Last year the team shot .381 3p% and this year .342 3p%.  However we are getting to the line a little more at a rate of 29.3 FTA whereas last year it was 26.5 so we are just scoring a little differently.

I wouldn't mind if 1 more player emerges into the rotation in the  Pruitt, Walker, Giddens, or POB group.   It's good Walker and Giddens are getting playing time in the D league as we really need to find out between now and the trade deadline if any of these guys can really contribute for the stretch run.   if nothing else the more PT they get could increase their trade value slightly for something we really could use. 

Overall hard not to be pleased so far.  Looking forward to the Christmas day game against the Lakers.  Just like the old days for those who remember. 

Re: Some first quarter of season observations of the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Wow. I'll keep it short.

1: Rondo is ascending
2: Ray isn't descending yet
3: Everyone else is doing what they need to do.

It's gonna be a good year if everyone stays healthy. If I were Doc I might pull back a little more on minutes as the season goes on. Just a little, though.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.