Author Topic: Why is Rondo isolating at the End of Quarters?!  (Read 8097 times)

Re: Why is Rondo isolating at the End of Quarters?!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
They were doing the same thing last year as well.  Last year, it was very effective, because teams would pressure Rondo enough that he could either get to the hoop, or find the open man.  This year however, it seems like other teams have adjusted to it, so they are taking away his drive, while not leaving other shooters open.  I expect the C's to make an adjustment at some point.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am not the biggest fan of any iso play at the end of the quarter because quite honestly for as many times as Pierce hit that shot he turned the ball over as wmuch and gave the other team a fast break opportunity going the other way with almost no time left.

I think the whole concept of the isolation in that area is doing a huge disservice to the team. Run a freaking real offense. If you hit the shot and time is still left you do happen to have the best defense in the league to stop the other team's last second play.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I'm with you there.  Get rid of the isolation and run a play but, I assume their thinking is that it can lead to a miss or TO and the other team getting the last shot. Using the isolation with Rondo taking the last shot at worst has Boston taking the last shot although as you mention it's been very unsuccessful. I'm sure this isn't lost on the coaches but, I hope there change isn't to take it out of Rondo's hands.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
Well, if you have Ray or Pierce with the ball in their hands for an ISO, then their man just sags off rondo because hes not going to make a shot.  That defender can come help on Paul or Ray which wont end up with a drive to the hoop either.  It will be another forced jumper.  At least with Rondo handling the ball, he can have his man all to himself, since the other perimeter defenders need to stick with Ray and Paul.  There are lots of times where Rondo has basically been given a shot by the opposing player and with his speed got by him anyway.

It makes more sense doing it this way, since the defenders cannot cheat off, and if they do, then Rondo can find Ray or Paul as opposed to having Rondo's man free to help.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161
I think this is mostly happening when we're inbounding it under the basket in the backcourt, with a very short time left in the quarter. The idea being that Rondo is one of the few players who can really push it up fast enough without potentially losing the handle against pressure. It might be a matter of getting ANY shot off more than getting a good shot off.

I'm just going by memory here, but when you talk about long, running 3's and stuff like that, it doesn't make me think of Rondo dribbling out the clock up around the halfcourt line before trying to drive quickly.

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 12:44:53 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I have seen Rondo isolating a lot, but often he kicks it to Ray for a pretty decent look.  Usually this is at the end of a quarter.  If the game is on the line, it is usually in Pierce's hands.

But here is a hypothetical situation that might explain the reasoning:  Imagine a line up of Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG and Eddie  House.  Rondo has the ball at the top of the key, KG is somehow involved setting a screen and the others are spaced around the 3 point line.  Rondo has the option to drive by his guy, do a pick and roll/pop with KG or kick it out to a 3 point shooter if he can't create anything.  Also, with the pick, he could give it to KG who could pass to any of the other 3. 

If PP or RA had the ball in the situation, they would try to isolate their guy and take a contested shot (which Pierce often makes, I know) or if they can't they'll pass it out for an equally bad shot.  Having Rondo off the ball means that 1) his guy will sag off him because he is not a threat and 2) if the ball gets kicked out to him with 1 second left (because his guy is not covering him tightly) he'll have to shoot it and probably miss it. 

At least in this situation, I'd rather Rondo have the ball because there are so many more good options that the defense has to consider.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
He did this last year too...i dont have a problem with it at all

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
He did this last year too...i dont have a problem with it at all

me neither really, i just hate the play in general, no matter who's running it.

we should have a seprate thread, in all seriousness, because I'd lik to see what people think about the play in general, I.e the accepted wisdom that running out the clock to take a buzzer ebater is better than taking a good shot in the flow of your normal offense and playing defense for 4-8 seconds.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »

• Jrue Holiday
I am very very happy that there are now options for end of quarter/game plays.  I was getting sick of the predictable "Paul Pierce dribbling for 22 seconds and then launching a spinning fade away jumpshot" play.  Even though it was effective, it was painful to watch.

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 03:42:37 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I am very very happy that there are now options for end of quarter/game plays.  I was getting sick of the predictable "Paul Pierce dribbling for 22 seconds and then launching a spinning fade away jumpshot" play.  Even though it was effective, it was painful to watch.

So you'd rather have Rondo dribble out the clock and throw up a bad shot (because no matter how everyone would like to see someone open to dish it to it isn't what is happening) than to have PP take an effective shot that has proven to be pretty successful historically just because you don't like to see him dribble it?! That makes no sense. Successful vs. not successful. Hmmm...

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 03:53:38 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Did you see the Indiana game?  I believe that was the one where on 2 separate occasions Pierce had the ball at the end of quarter lost the ball and they scored before the quarter ended. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 04:08:41 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Is there any C's player more talked about than Rajon Rondo? Maybe Ray Allen, maybe. But I mean, when Rondo's off form, the Rondo-bashing is like an epidemic. And when he's on form the Rondo-love is rife.

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »

• Jrue Holiday
So you'd rather have Rondo dribble out the clock and throw up a bad shot (because no matter how everyone would like to see someone open to dish it to it isn't what is happening) than to have PP take an effective shot that has proven to be pretty successful historically just because you don't like to see him dribble it?! That makes no sense. Successful vs. not successful. Hmmm...

I'd rather there be an actual play called that wasn't an isolation.  But I am happy that there are now multiple players on the team that can take that last shot.  Options are good.

And while isolating Rondo might not be always successful now, I'd rather him practice it in November so that he will be successful in June or in 2012. 

Pierce may be the most superclutch player to have ever played, but he didn't get there without launching a few ill advised shots early in his career.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I'd rather there be an actual play called that wasn't an isolation.  But I am happy that there are now multiple players on the team that can take that last shot.  Options are good.

And while isolating Rondo might not be always successful now, I'd rather him practice it in November so that he will be successful in June or in 2012. 

Pierce may be the most superclutch player to have ever played, but he didn't get there without launching a few ill advised shots early in his career.

Agree and disagree. I also would much rather them run an actual play, however when there are only 10-12 seconds you aren't going to get much better shots than an iso. With 20+ then I am all in favor of that.

The bad comparison though of PP to Rondo and Rondo just needing to get "experience" doing it, is that PP can and has always been able to shoot and score. Rondo NEVER will be a good shooter. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, the guy will be average at best. (I doubt even that good) PP on the other hand is a GREAT scorer, in fact in all likelihood will have scored more points than anyone in Celtic history by the time it is all done. He has ALREADY figured it out, and so I can't figure out how this is even a discussion?! Ray has more points and is a better shooter than PP is. I would honestly rather see KG isolate his guy and shoot before Rondo. This seems a little unbelievable that people actually don't think it is a horrible idea for him to be isolating with 6 seconds...

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah unbelievable you know except for the fact the actual coach seems to think it's he best move.  So really is it that unbelievable?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10