Author Topic: Would you trade Big Scal and Jr Giddens For..  (Read 9018 times)

Re: Would you trade Big Scal and Jr Giddens For..
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 11:41:23 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It be a different story if we could have him for more than this year, but for a one year rental? I think we're better off looking somewhere else.

Even though Smith is an expiring contract, by trading for him now, we would also be picking up his bird rights.  So if we did want to sign him again next year, we could without having to use the MLE, which would be an excellent option for this team to have going into the offseason.

I don't think we would have full bird rights for Joe Smith... I think he signed a 2 year deal with Chicago, and for bird rights you need 3 years if not mistaken. You would still have Powe and Davis going into free-agency, and I could see DA making them a priority because of their youth.

It also seems to me that next year will be another offseason of bargain hunting, so you have to weight in how much they will be willing to pay for Joe Smith.

In all, if we're going to make a trade, I'd preffer someone that can guard centers better, and someone who would stay with us for more than one year guaranteed.

You are right, we only have Early Bird rights, which means we can sign him for 175% of his previous salary, which means we could sign him for up to 8.39 million next year.  He wouldn't get anywhere near that on the open market anyways, so I don't think it makes a difference.

As for the bargain-hunting thing, they will be much more likely to resign a guy like Smith using the early-bird exception than to spend a large portion of the MLE.

edit: darn you Roy, you are too fast for me.

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 11:44:12 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yep, as I said in my previous post... that's true. If we're going after Joe Smith, I'd preffer trading Powe, Davis, or POB instead of Giddens or Walker (would you trade Walker, Chris?). I also like Scal's contract for next year, but I'm not sweating it.

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
If you think there is any chance at all that Camby would be bought out and available for the vet minimum, then I think you really need to take a step back and look at how good of a player he is. 

When I posted that I thought Camby was in the last year of his deal.  But no, he has two years left.  So you're right, there's no chance of a buyout this year.

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Yep, as I said in my previous post... that's true. If we're going after Joe Smith, I'd preffer trading Powe, Davis, or POB instead of Giddens or Walker (would you trade Walker, Chris?). I also like Scal's contract for next year, but I'm not sweating it.

I would be less inclined to trade Walker than Giddens, but I would not hessitate to trade either one of them if we were getting a guy like Smith, who would immediately be one of our top 7 players, and add a reliable and consistent player player to a bench which has a lot of Hot and cold players (House, Allen, and Powe have all been inconsistent).  I wouldn't be a fan of trading both of them unless we were getting a ton back, but I think we are in a position to be able to trade either one of them, if we are getting a sure bet rotation player in return.

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 12:18:20 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
I'd be looking to resign Powe, BBD and TA, not to trading them.

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I wouldn't mind that either, but i think they are going to want to only keep one tweener energy PF off the bench.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Fair enough.  So you prefer the team to sit tight with the team they have?  I can't argue with that, since they are 17-2.  We will just have to agree to disagree on whether to jump at the opportunity to pick up a guy like Smith, who I personally think would help this team immensely. 

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Smith might help this year.  The three I mentioneed might help for years and years to come.