Author Topic: Would you trade Big Scal and Jr Giddens For..  (Read 9042 times)

Re: Would you trade Big Scal and Jr Giddens For..
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
But isn't it possible that he gets bought, making it possible for us to get him without losing any players?

He could get bought out (as Oklahoma is going nowhere), but technically, we would have to waive a player, which would be (hopefully) Cassell.

I wasn't counting Sam. ;D  I assumed Sam would be waived should another player be signed and do what he has been doing... sit on the bench in a suit.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I really don't like these one-year rentals type of deals. I don't think Joe Smith brings that much in respect to our actual needs. Joe Johnson and Rodney Rogers comes to mind.

I also can assure you guys, that once another big gets added, it'll be Powe who won't be getting on the floor... are you Powe fans ready to accept that?

Highly doubtful...Boston has been looking for a face-up big with defensive length to spot KG and play his role...Glen Davis has been less productive and isn't a low post player - Boston is looking to duplicate the Perk/KG, inside/outside dynamic, that would mean less time for both Davis and Powe, but likely a lot more time taken away from Davis - much as last season...

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I really don't like these one-year rentals type of deals. I don't think Joe Smith brings that much in respect to our actual needs. Joe Johnson and Rodney Rogers comes to mind.

I also can assure you guys, that once another big gets added, it'll be Powe who won't be getting on the floor... are you Powe fans ready to accept that?

I think Powe would see plenty of time. BBD would miss out (haven't we established that Powe is better by now?).

Perk/Smith
KG/Powe
Pierce
Allen/Allen
Rondo/House

Looks like a nice rotation, and we're better equipped to an injury to Perk or Powe this way.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The "PJ Brown role" is being filled quite ably by Davis and Powe.  This team does not need Joe Smith.  BBD is a better post defender than either Brown or Smith.

This team doesn't need the "Posey role" the "Cassell role" or the "PJ Brown role".  It just needs to keep doing what it's doing with the players it has.

The only short-term rental I'd like to see is Marcus Camby after a buyout by the Clips.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
The "PJ Brown role" is being filled quite ably by Davis and Powe.  This team does not need Joe Smith.  BBD is a better post defender than either Brown or Smith.

This team doesn't need the "Posey role" the "Cassell role" or the "PJ Brown role".  It just needs to keep doing what it's doing with the players it has.

The only short-term rental I'd like to see is Marcus Camby after a buyout by the Clips.

I'd rather have Smith than Davis, and I think Smith is a vet who wouldn't upset the applecart. Like I was saying, I'm not open to many deals, but this is one of the few I'd be OK with. I'd be worried about another bigtime name (Camby) being able to be a role player (I certainly don't like the idea of Perk being supplanted, if that's what you were sugggesting).
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Highly doubtful...Boston has been looking for a face-up big with defensive length to spot KG and play his role...Glen Davis has been less productive and isn't a low post player - Boston is looking to duplicate the Perk/KG, inside/outside dynamic, that would mean less time for both Davis and Powe, but likely a lot more time taken away from Davis - much as last season...

The problem is that Powe keeps missing defensive assignments, and I think that will ultimately decide who gets on the court or not. He missed quite a few of them that led to layups last night during the 2nd quarter.

Are you comparing JR Giddens to Joe Johnson?  I think you are overvaluing the kid way too much. 

Joe Smith absolutely helps us.  He is basically a rich man's PJ Brown.  He can score inside or hit the open jumpshot, and is a very good defender and rebounder.  He would immediately be our 3rd best big man (by a pretty large margin), and would give the team another option down the stretch if teams are cheating too far off of Perk.

I'm not comparing JR Giddens to Joe Johnson, though I like him quite a bit, I just figure that we should be fully capable of finding the big man we could use without having to package JR Giddens with our back-up SF (which would make us even thinner at the position, though I'm not sweating it). I think we can get something of higher value with a package that would include those two, a prospect and a length-friendly contract. I'm not that high on Joe Smith guarding centers. It be a different story if we could have him for more than this year, but for a one year rental? I think we're better off looking somewhere else.

I'm on the belief that this is the perfect time to start stockpiling on young talent.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I don't know if this is the case.  So far this season, Davis has been a much more steady player, and seems to have gained more of Doc's confidence with his tremendous positional defense, and do little things like setting picks on offense. 

Right now, I think Davis is actually ahead of Powe on the depth chart. 

Although I suppose if I go deeper, a guy like Smith, who is an incredibly steady defensive player would make Davis a little less valuable, and they may decide to put him with the more explosive offensive player in Powe.

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
No, I was suggesting Camby to add length and defense on the second unit-- particularly shot blocking.

But I wouldn't give up anything valuable to get Camby.  I'd be looking to sign him as a free agent for the veterans' minimum.

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I find it hard to belive that Baby isn't getting the first big minutes off the bench then. There the same height, if they wanted baby to be the first big, why not put him in at the 4, then slide him to the 5 when perk goes out?

I think you highly overvalue the front offices opnion of davis. Are you ready to accept that come year end?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It be a different story if we could have him for more than this year, but for a one year rental? I think we're better off looking somewhere else.

Even though Smith is an expiring contract, by trading for him now, we would also be picking up his bird rights.  So if we did want to sign him again next year, we could without having to use the MLE, which would be an excellent option for this team to have going into the offseason.

No, I was suggesting Camby to add length and defense on the second unit-- particularly shot blocking.

But I wouldn't give up anything valuable to get Camby.  I'd be looking to sign him as a free agent for the veterans' minimum.

If you think there is any chance at all that Camby would be bought out and available for the vet minimum, then I think you really need to take a step back and look at how good of a player he is. 

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 11:27:50 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I find it hard to belive that Baby isn't getting the first big minutes off the bench then. There the same height, if they wanted baby to be the first big, why not put him in at the 4, then slide him to the 5 when perk goes out?

I think you highly overvalue the front offices opnion of davis. Are you ready to accept that come year end?

I'm not overvaluing anyone. I don't care any way or the other about Powe and Davis, I'm just saying what Doc is most likely to do. It's not the first time Powe has been benched because of his defensive lapses, and Doc doesn't shy away from Davis even when his offense is not going.

I've been seeing Davis being the first big off the bench quite a few times, so the scenario you're painting has been happening. Though Perk is almost always the first big to go to the bench... I don't see that changing any time soon.

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yeah I'd do it but I agree with the guy who said he'd prefer to trade Walker.  And someone mentioned Rodney Rodgers... did you guy hear what happened to him yesterday- he crashed his atv and I believe he's paralyzed from the neck down.  Thats crazy stuff!

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

It be a different story if we could have him for more than this year, but for a one year rental? I think we're better off looking somewhere else.

Even though Smith is an expiring contract, by trading for him now, we would also be picking up his bird rights.  So if we did want to sign him again next year, we could without having to use the MLE, which would be an excellent option for this team to have going into the offseason.

I don't think we would have full bird rights for Joe Smith... I think he signed a 2 year deal with Chicago, and for bird rights you need 3 years if not mistaken. You would still have Powe and Davis going into free-agency, and I could see DA making them a priority because of their youth.

It also seems to me that next year will be another offseason of bargain hunting, so you have to weight in how much they will be willing to pay for Joe Smith.

In all, if we're going to make a trade, I'd preffer someone that can guard centers better, and someone who would stay with us for more than one year guaranteed.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I don't think we would have full bird rights for Joe Smith... I think he signed a 2 year deal with Chicago, and for bird rights you need 3 years if not mistaken.

True, although we'd have his "early Bird" rights, meaning we could give him a 175% raise (if memory serves.)  That means we could pretty much give him any deal we wanted.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 11:40:34 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
That's true... I don't see any team offering much more than what he currently makes anyways.