Author Topic: Help decide this debate amongst friends  (Read 2438 times)

Help decide this debate amongst friends
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »

Offline Larrybird17

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 31
Me and my buddy have been having a huge debate about how valuable Pau Gasol is. He made the point that Gasol is one of the top PF's in the game and is a force to be rekoned with. I suggested that while Pau Gasol is a good player, he is a notch below say Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard (As a PF), Amare, and Dirk. To me he is on equal level to Boozer, Bosh, and Sheed.

We were also going back and forth about Rondo's lousy 4th quarter in game 5 and the reason Doc decided to keep him in the gaem. He was screaming that Doc should've inserted Eddie House. I suggested that Eddie isn't a pure point and would have been pressured by Lindsey Hunter immediately. I also feel that Sam is almost always looking for his shot and wouldn't have been able to get us into our sets as well as Rondo. Young talented PG'S are going to make great plays, and the occasional slip up. I feel like it's a valuable learning experience that will help Rajon and the Celtics in the future. What do you guys think? Please help. Thanks

LB17

ps:Go Celtics! Final score 89-83 Celtics. I hope Mason gets a soar throat and has to leave at HALFTIME! Peace

Re: Help decide this debate amongst friends
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:41:51 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'm curious too Larrybird17.  Given that Gasol was a Grizzlie for so long I haven't seen much of his game.  What little I've seen makes me think you are right, he's an all-star complementary player but can't carry a team on his own.

Though I'm often confused by his substitutions, I must and do leave the rotation to Doc and his more experienced judgment.  Still, I'm not necessarily concerned with Rondo's long-term development at the moment

Fingers crossed that you are a prophet!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:57:28 PM »

Offline Larrybird17

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 31
I'm curious too Larrybird17.  Given that Gasol was a Grizzlie for so long I haven't seen much of his game.  What little I've seen makes me think you are right, he's an all-star complementary player but can't carry a team on his own.

Though I'm often confused by his substitutions, I must and do leave the rotation to Doc and his more experienced judgment.  Still, I'm not necessarily concerned with Rondo's long-term development at the moment

Fingers crossed that you are a prophet!!!

LOL. Thanks for the reply Thruthelookingglass. I just hope that final score prediction holds up. GO CELTICS!

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »

Offline cuckroller

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Me and my buddy have been having a huge debate about how valuable Pau Gasol is. He made the point that Gasol is one of the top PF's in the game and is a force to be reckoned with. I suggested that while Pau Gasol is a good player, he is a notch below say Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard (As a PF), Amare, and Dirk. To me he is on equal level to Boozer, Bosh, and Sheed.

Hi LB,
The take of a Laker fan.  Certainly if Gasol is being judged one-on-one against some of the true PF's in the League, from static offensive sets, then you are certainly right.  Presently, he is playing out of position, at Center.  For me, his principal quality since joining the Lakers doesn't have that much do with him being a physical banger, which he is obviously not.  It has a whole lot to do with offensive spacing and how well he has been able to integrate into the pre-existing Laker offensive sets.  They will probably start him off against KG, and he may be able to give him some trouble, not because of his physicality, but because of his long arms.  However, all KG has to do is go into his one-step-back middle range shot to beat him.  I am sure that the Laker team members, and the coaching staff, have challenged him to concentrate on going for the Rebounds, and it is certainly something that will be needed (and difficult to get against both KG and Perkins, even with the help of Odom) if the Lakers are to have any hope of getting out on the break.  Probably, Bosh, Nowitzki, and certainly Boozer, should be considered Small Forwards (or at least play that way).

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 02:33:16 PM »

Offline RunningTheFloor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Me and my buddy have been having a huge debate about how valuable Pau Gasol is. He made the point that Gasol is one of the top PF's in the game and is a force to be rekoned with. I suggested that while Pau Gasol is a good player, he is a notch below say Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard (As a PF), Amare, and Dirk. To me he is on equal level to Boozer, Bosh, and Sheed.

We were also going back and forth about Rondo's lousy 4th quarter in game 5 and the reason Doc decided to keep him in the gaem. He was screaming that Doc should've inserted Eddie House. I suggested that Eddie isn't a pure point and would have been pressured by Lindsey Hunter immediately. I also feel that Sam is almost always looking for his shot and wouldn't have been able to get us into our sets as well as Rondo. Young talented PG'S are going to make great plays, and the occasional slip up. I feel like it's a valuable learning experience that will help Rajon and the Celtics in the future. What do you guys think? Please help. Thanks

LB17

ps:Go Celtics! Final score 89-83 Celtics. I hope Mason gets a soar throat and has to leave at HALFTIME! Peace

It seems to me that you know a lot more than your friend.  I would take your side on both topics.  I would add that I think Rondo stayed in the game more for the ball handling side of your argument than the experience side.