Author Topic: Report: Doug Collins New Bulls Head Coach  (Read 6908 times)

Report: Doug Collins New Bulls Head Coach
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:46:41 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
On the ESPN News Ticker, it says that sources are reporting that Doug Collins is going to be the next Chicago Bulls head coach. Thoughts? It's surprising for sure. He brings respectability and experience to the position for sure. But all things considered, he hasn't had that much success in the league. Interesting.

Re: Report: Doug Collins New Bulls Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
Thats an awful decision, if true. I've always hated Doug Collins, and think he may actually be a worse coach than announcer, which is saying something. Would think with new GM's getting jobs some of the received wisdom, recycling of coaches would stop a bit. Doug Collins has never been a good coach but seems like he, and others like him, continue to get jobs because they once had jobs without a real evaluation of how they did in said jobs.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Wow, maybe Van Gundy wasn't joking about being in competition with his TNT counterpart after all.

That's a weird hire by Chicago.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The very definition of "retread".

Collins isn't terrible, but he's certainly mediocre.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »

Offline paul7x5x

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 4
NO! Really?!?! This has got to be the best news I've heard all day!!!
Does anyone realize what this means??? After this year we don't have to listen to Doug Collins anymore as a NBA broadcaster. Wowwwww... No more droning on. No more of that constant whine. He has got to have the worst intonation and inflection of ANY sportscaster known to man. This is right up there with the feeling I had when I found out we were getting Garnett. (Just kidding about the last part...) Go Celts!

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Could this mean another Jordan comeback?  If there could be a Rocky VI, why not a Jordan IV
Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:20:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Good news. 

One more job filled before the Celtics season ends. 

Now if only Phoenix would get off their rears and hire someone. 

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
I'm so glad he's out of that commentators booth. I can still hear is voice after P2 wrapped up bron as bron elbowed Pierce in the ribs... "Lebron is so mature, Pierce gave him that hard foul and he didn't over react or hit Paul back...." or something like that, all I remember is wanting to vomit.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
At least we won't have to listen to him during anymore Celtics' games. ;)

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:32:49 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I think this is a good move by Chicago.

Certainly they missed the boat on D'Antoni, their philosophies are quite different (D'Antoni advocates a fast-paced offense while Collins is a defensive guy) but they have similar experience.

One of the knocks on Collins is that most of his success was due to Collins finding himself in the right job at the right time.  He took over the Bulls as Jordan was entering his 3rd season; Pippen was a rookie.  In Detroit, he did some great things, but he had the privilidge of coaching guys like Joe Dumars and Grant Hill.

However, couldn't you make a similar arguement concerning D'Antoni's success?  D'Antoni took over in '03 when the suns featured a roster of Marion, joe johnson, Amare, Marbury, Barbosa, Penny, and antonio mcdyss - that team finnished 24 games under .500.  In his first full year, D'Antoni completely turned the Suns around, but added Nash, Quentin Richardson, and Jim Jackson to that team.  Needless to say, the SUns have had a stacked lineup since his first full season.

Collins' failures in Washington are noted, but those teams were doomed from the get-go.  In the '01-'02 season, Collins had an almost 40 year old Jordan as his leading scorer with a young Rip Hamilton carrying the load as well.  Outside of that, the team was irrelevent.  Popeye Jones lead the Wiz in rebounding while Chris Whitney lead them in assists.  The following season was a dissapointment as well; however, had Jordan drafted Paul Gasol or Ty Chandler instead of Kwame the year before, COllins may still have been coaching the Wiz to this day.  Further, Collins never had the luxery of coaching Gilbert Arenas.

The Bulls did not land the grand prize of the coaching world in D'Antoni, but they may have sacrificed some sizzle in order to get more steak with Collins.  His rapport and influence on young stars is undeniable, which may be just what Chicago needs in order to fully develope guys like Noah, Thomas, Hienrich, and Rose (hopefully).

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:36:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On the ESPN News Ticker, it says that sources are reporting that Doug Collins is going to be the next Chicago Bulls head coach. Thoughts? It's surprising for sure. He brings respectability and experience to the position for sure. But all things considered, he hasn't had that much success in the league. Interesting.
I like it -- the more positions get filled, the more likely it is for Thibodeau to stay with the Celtics :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Terrible hire.  Collins never distinguished himself anywhere as a coach.  So many other good candidates, like Avery Johnson, Tom Thibodea. Can't believe Bulls would hire him.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Like others have said, this is good news for Boston and bad new for Chicago. Two wrongs don't make a right. They missed out on D'Antoni and know they've compounded the problem by hiring Collins. Ouch. The Bulls are on a trajectory to replace the Knicks as the NBA's most dysfunctional franchise...

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is this honestly the best that Chicago could do?  Hire some 20+ year coaching retread? 

Better for us.  I wouldn't be shocked in they found a way to botch the #1 draft pick. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Dumb move

They should have hired one of Tyrone Corbin/Brian Shaw/Kurt Rambis.