Author Topic: League spokesman: fouls mean different things at different times  (Read 7758 times)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The NBA admitted there should have been a foul called at the end of Game 4 between the Lakers and Spurs, and that Brent Barry should have gotten two foul shots.  It's surprising that they admitted fault, but the call was pretty obvious.

More shocking was this:

Before the statement by the NBA late Wednesday, league spokesman Brian McIntyre said referees Joey Crawford, Joe Forte and Mark Wunderlich may have been following a league guideline in failing to make a call.

"There is an explanation in the rule book," said McIntyre, "that there are times during games when the degree of certainty necessary to determine a foul involving physical contact is higher. That comes during impact time when the intensity has risen, especially at the end of a game. In other words, if you're going to call something then, be certain."

Link

Huh?  The officials are instructed -- and there may even be something in the rule book or some other official policy -- that the game should be called differently in certain situations?  I mean, I think we all know this crap goes on.  I just didn't expect a league spokesman to be stupid enough to admit it.

When will the NBA admit that it gives calls to its superstars?  Maybe somebody should get a statement from McIntyre.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: League spokesman: fouls mean different things at different times
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »

Offline painter33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
It is certainly surprising that the NBA would admit to situational calls, but it's not surprising that Joey Crawford was involved.  Has he ever called a game consistently or, in some of our minds, fairly?  Seems like Joey picks the winners before the games, not that I'm accusing him of anything.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Sterna and his followers are going to destroy this sport if this keeps happening. Where is the integrity? Why have rules in the first place then? I don't care if its the first, second, third, or fourth quarter, a foul is a foul, and points are just as important during any part of the game >:(
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
The NBA admitted there should have been a foul called at the end of Game 4 between the Lakers and Spurs, and that Brent Barry should have gotten two foul shots.  It's surprising that they admitted fault, but the call was pretty obvious.

More shocking was this:

Before the statement by the NBA late Wednesday, league spokesman Brian McIntyre said referees Joey Crawford, Joe Forte and Mark Wunderlich may have been following a league guideline in failing to make a call.

"There is an explanation in the rule book," said McIntyre, "that there are times during games when the degree of certainty necessary to determine a foul involving physical contact is higher. That comes during impact time when the intensity has risen, especially at the end of a game. In other words, if you're going to call something then, be certain."

Link

Huh?  The officials are instructed -- and there may even be something in the rule book or some other official policy -- that the game should be called differently in certain situations?  I mean, I think we all know this crap goes on.  I just didn't expect a league spokesman to be stupid enough to admit it.

When will the NBA admit that it gives calls to its superstars?  Maybe somebody should get a statement from McIntyre.

What good does this do to the Spurs.  I say reply the final seconds on the game and put Barry on the foul-line.  The league open themselves up to think during the season when Shaq fouled out of a game vs. Atlanta which should not have happen because he only had 4 fouls at the time and not 5.  The league started the game from the time Shaq got fouled.  The Hawks and Heat played two games that day.  Now this was a regular season game.  If I where the Spurs I would request that Barry get's his two foul shots. 

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

More shocking was this:

Link

They're applying the rule wrong. They're not saying to let there be more physicallity or to not call certain fouls. They're saying that the level of certainty in order to make a call should rise in crucial moments. With Barry there was no uncertainty... that was clearly a foul so it should have been no issue there.

The rule, as I see it, is for refs to keep an eye out for flops in crucial moments, and if a ref didn't see the foul being commited, then he shouldn't call it (something that happens time and time again). It says, that if you see a foul being commited, call it, if you didn't see it don't call it. That's all it is from what I read into it. Nothing wrong with that, the problem comes with the practice of the rule portion.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
They're not saying to let there be more physicallity or to not call certain fouls. They're saying that the level of certainty in order to make a call should rise in crucial moments.

The rule, as I see it, is for refs to keep an eye out for flops in crucial moments, and if a ref didn't see the foul being commited, then he shouldn't call it (something that happens time and time again). It says, that if you see a foul being commited, call it, if you didn't see it don't call it. That's all it is from what I read into it. Nothing wrong with that, the problem comes with the practice of the rule portion.

Call me crazy, but the NBA shouldn't be endorsing the practice of calling fouls if the ref didn't see it.  If it's a foul, call it.  If you're not sure if it's a foul, don't call it.  For all 48 minutes.  The league shouldn't be putting its rubber stamp on guess work.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The more games I watch, the more I believe that the refs should be making fewer, not more, calls. If the foul is minor, does not affect the play, is not in the play, or the recipient of the foul is exagerating the contact, don't call it. Period.  The Fischer foul would have still been called under that standard. What I am tired of seeing are these tiny little bumps that get called. For example, that tiny bump by PJ on Richard Hamilton, out of bounds. Hamilton had just finished mugging Ray Allen in front of the ref, then gets the benefit of a minor contact call just because PJ was out of bounds. That is just ridiculous.  Stern needs to take stronger action on this stuff. It alone is the single biggest obstacle to the NBA being taken seriously.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
They're not saying to let there be more physicallity or to not call certain fouls. They're saying that the level of certainty in order to make a call should rise in crucial moments.

Call me crazy, but the NBA shouldn't be endorsing the practice of calling fouls if the ref didn't see it.  If it's a foul, call it.  If you're not sure if it's a foul, don't call it.  For all 48 minutes.  The league shouldn't be putting its rubber stamp on guess work.

In that regards, you're completely right and I'm with you... but since the issue is more of a certainty thing, I'm sure that there has to be a more watchful eye in end of game situations, etc. when plays and decisions are that more crucial.

There's little objectivity when it comes to refs and fouls being called, and with all the flopping going around and the pressure put on refs to call fouls, etc. it's certainly understandable why it would be mentioned in the rule book that refs need to be even more certain of what they're doing in pivotal situations, like at end of games.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
NBA officials, just when you think their credibility couldn't go lower...

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.  Why would a league spokesman even say this? 

This just gets worse and worse.  What a farce.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
wow. just wow.

The nba: where we admit our game's fishy happens.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:32:10 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Hobbs, TP for posting this link.  It is obvious to anyone who has watched one NBA game that fouls get called differently for different people, at different points in the game, and at different points in the season (was it last season where the league started off with the new rule that if you even look at the ref funny it is an automatic foul?  I remember the first dozen games or so a player would frown at the ref and it was an automatic foul).  Nevertheless, I always assumed the rules were implicit, not explicitly set in type somewhere.  Honestly, Stern will kill this game, he really will.

On the other hand, it is interesting to see calls go *against* the Spurs.  Don't conspiracy theorists believe that Stern has it fixed in the Spurs' favor?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:38:48 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
On the other hand, it is interesting to see calls go *against* the Spurs.  Don't conspiracy theorists believe that Stern has it fixed in the Spurs' favor?

No chance. Stern would kill for a BOS-LA final with the markets and the history. Everyone's had their fill of the Spurs.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

More shocking was this:

Link

Well I don't know if it's a bad thing.  It just means that the league doesn't want huge playoff games decided by some tickytacky crap.  Like some sketchy call that may or may not be a travel.  Or... some weak little foul that's going to put someone on the line to sink two free throws and win the game.  Like... do you call a shove from Jordan in his final shot against Utah or do you let it slide?  The league doesn't want refs deciding the outcome of major games.  Unfortunately that might mean that LeBron drives in for a game winning dunk that might be a charge... but the entire league is pretty aware of this stuff.  If it comes down to the final seconds they mostly want the players deciding the game.

That Brent Barry play was pretty much the same thing as the Tony Allen/Billups play earlier in the  year where Billups pump faked and Tony Allen dove into him.   I remember being angry at Tony Allen, but also annoyed that the game was going to be decided on some crap free throws.  Does that mean they made the right decision on the Brent Barry play?... Probably not.  But I get the logic behind swallowing a whistle in end game situations.   We watch for the players to do spectacular things... not some cheese crap decided by a ref.  It goes both ways though.  In our final regular season meeting against Atlanta, Sam Cassell used some vet savvy to bait the Hawks into fouling him in the back court.  On one play he was dribbling the ball and then just stopped right in front of a Hawk who wasn't paying attention and ran into him.   It worked out for us, but I'm sure the Hawks fans were disgusted that a great effort was going to be ruined by some flopping garbage.  If that was a huge playoff game I'd expect the refs to let that one slide.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:54:07 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Wow.  Why would a league spokesman even say this? 

This just gets worse and worse.  What a farce.

Why is this a bad thing?  Count me in the JVG camp in that the league should fess up to calling things differently in "crucial" situations and that this is appropriate and expected.

The onus is on the players to adjust to this.  I wouldn't want a game, especially a conference final playoff game, to be decided by some touch foul or flop either.
God bless and good night!