Author Topic: Fines will be imposed for clear cases of flopping next season  (Read 12988 times)

Re: Fines will be imposed for clear cases of flopping next season
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Wow, this is going to take away a lot of Manu and Rip Hamilton's games!!!  Oh no!!!  When I hear "Flop"...these are the two biggest culprits. 

(ahem) varejao...  make it the three amigos.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The Messiah is going to get every call no matter what the rules are.

This situation is just getting so tedious to watch.  Where Reggie Miller was pretty much in a class by himself at the silliness while he was a player, we have a whole "Miller class" of floppers, kickers, and flailers now.  It's a disgrace to a great game.

Technical and the ball if done defensively.  Technical and loss of possession if done offensively.  Treat it like the illegal defense.  Seems to have solved that problem pretty well.....Well, at least the number of calls.  I'm glad something is getting done anyway.

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Terrible idea. 

Get ready to see FT parades.  The only way to avoid blocking calls that should be called charges is to fall down.

Players start losing money, they are going to have to just foul. 

Or worst, get out of the way.

Are you kidding me?  It's a great idea.  This isn't up to the refs.  These fines will be assessed after plays are reviewed on video.  It may be tough to catch a flopper during a game, but not with the luxury of video replay afterwards.  And despite what you say, you can still take a charge without flopping.  If you fall down when a guy rams into you going to the basket, that's a charge.  But if you fall down at the slightest contact, or begin to fall before even being touched, that's flopping.  And that has made the game much less enjoyable to watch.  Anything that can be done to curb players from doing this is a good idea.

And when guys start losing money try to step in front of guys, they will stop stepping in front of guys. 

And, like I said, the only way to get an offensive foul call is to fall down.  Now, players will work harder to stay on their feet, thus allowing for more FTs.  (exciting)  Or, they will start getting fined and the guys will just get out of the way (which is what the NBA really wants.  More half court dunks)

They are ignoring the real problem.  Bad officials. 

Here is the way to fix it. 

1) Call offensive fouls, offensive fouls.  Even if the defensive player doesn't fall.

2) If a defensive player falls down when there is no foul, offensive player is then allowed to use them as a stepping stone. 

That will clean up flopping real fast. 

you're missing the point.  often refs are 'fooled' into calling fouls because of the acting.

no, he isn't missing the point, he has a valid take on it.

its all well and good to say "oh, its fine, if you take a good charge, you won't get fined" but thats one thing if your a superstar. lets say the fines, which the legaue said would scale go 10k-20k-30k or something.

thats nothing to pierce, so he will probley still try to take charges.

but what if your glen davis? davis makes 600k a year i belive. count a third off for taxes. 400k. now agent. 350k.

now, thats still a ton of money, but now he gets called for 3 flops on trying to play solid defense, and he's out 60k of his salary. i would just hack and send him to the line too.

this won't hurt the main flop artists we care about, they make millions. what it will hurt is role players trying to play defense who that money actually means a bit too.

wht does ginobli care if he flops to help the spurs win and a 10k fine shows up? yawn.

this dodges the actual problem, a league dominated by poor officating that just admitted it tells officals to call games differently at different times.

make flopping a tech or offensive foul, and call it. i know the refs will still get fooled on occasion, but do you really think manu or rip will do it as often if they even get rung up on average for 1.5 extra fouls a game?

but the main point is, how bout you address your joke of an officiating pool, that will help solve the problem.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
The fact that this idea is necessary (which it is) is disgraceful. It is clear that they're going to be fining players for flopping because refs can't tell during games whether players are faking it or not. Hint to refs: Call the fouls you see! Not the fouls you think you saw, or that you think must have occured! Refs are constantly making the mistake of reacting to how the players are falling, instead of how the players are being hit. So as much as we hate the Ginoblis and Bryants and Hamiltons of the world, the refs are the ones to blame for those players' actions.

By the way, don't you find it a little weird that players are going to be fined for doing something as harmless as hitting the floor too hard. Flopping is a problem, but it's not like the players who flop do so maliciously. They're not injuring anyone, taunting anyone, or arguing with the refs. I wouldn't mind the idea of suspending a player after a certain number of flops, but taking away money for a non-malicious, basketball-related action is an infringes a player's rights, in my opinion.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 07:14:46 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
As I understand this, there will be people other than the officials who's job it will be to watch video reviews of games, determine who is flopping, and assess fines. As far as I know the determinations will not be done during the games by the refs, and so will not interfere with play. My question is, what's the standard to compare with, and how can this possibly be objective?

I personally have no problem with it, if it can be done objectively and fairly, and if opinion and favoritism can be ruled out somehow. I truly hate flopping ... it's not remotely ethical, and it taints the game on many levels. Faking on any level is lying, and I sincerely hope this can be done in a way that's constructive, and not detrimental to the game. I'm a bit doubtful, personally.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »

Offline teddykgb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
varejao holding out for all that extra money suddenly makes a lot of sense, he's going to need it to pay for all these fines

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Many moons ago when I was much younger, I'd go to any NBA game if I was in town or watch every one I could just to experience the moment.  With the exception of an occassional fight, the games had a similar theme to hockey.  The games were very physical.  Each team had an enforcer if the games got too physical or dirty.  The players policed themselves.  Now the only games I watch are our's.  Sad, because with some of today's players, the most talented ever, the game should be more entertaining than it ever was even without the ****esque cheerleading squads and the theatrical player introductions.  Instead we have Earl Boykins driving into the paint into a statuesque Leon Powe...A "collission" ensues where Powe falls like he's been shot.  Gets the flopping call.  Pumps his fists, and the crap starts all over again.

I can't come up with a good word for today's game.  Pussified comes to mind.  The flagrant fouls called in last night's game might have been no-calls in a bygone era.  The enforcers would have coldcocked the floppers.  There would be no fines....maybe for the enforcer...there just wouldn't be any flopping.  How many times did Isiah screw around with the Jazz after Malone got done with him?  How many times did any other Piston screw around with the Jazz after that?  Because the officiating wasn't subjective, or star oriented, there is no way a Tim Donaghy would have functioned in that era.

So any steps to get rid of some of the stupidity that makes the game so boring and aggravating to watch is fine by me.

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 07:33:49 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
Good thing Vlade Divac retired or he would be a very poor man.

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just a random thought.

Does anyone think that the public relations disaster that was the Detroit/Indiana fight fiasco a few years ago affect the way the game is officiated and hence played.

Fights used to happen in the NBA. It was a way of letting the competition know that certain infingements were going to stop if the referees weren't going to stop it. Yes, fines and a game or four suspension ensued, but it set a tone to future opponents that your team wasn't going to take certain crap or an enforcer was going to come off the bench and take out your star.

But when that fight spilled over into the stands the front office went "martial law" on the league and fights, coming off the bench, and the way contact was called in the game changed. Gone were the New York Knicks/Miami Heat style of defense and basketball that would escalate to ultimate physicality.

Referess couldn't be questioned. Players had to wear proper business attire if not activated and sitting on the bench. Minor contact fouls came fast and furious.

Did this help to usher in the era of "Flop Basketball"?

It may not, but it sured contributed to it in my book. Yeah, the league was tightening the strings before that game and things like coming off the bench were already being strictly enforced, but I think that game took the pussification of basketball to the next level once the players realized that physicality in the game was a bygone thing and was not to be tolerated.

So now players like Boynkins, Rondo, Steve Nash, and Raymond Felton run into 6'9" 250lb guys and have the size and strength to send them sprawling across the floor at breakneck speed because they touched. And the refs call it because physicality to the point of something that might escalate to a fight will not be tolerated and will be cut short before it turns into something else.

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
If a player flops, make him stay down for 30 seconds.  During that time his team must play four on five-- sort of like going to the penalty box in hockey.  Not only that, while the guy is lying there, if someone inadvertently steps on him it isn't a foul, although brutal kicks to the head should probably be prohibited.

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The next thing you'll see is players ALMOST flopping. They'll be "losing the balance" and get "pushed back" and end up in the laps of people in the 3rd row.

One rule should state "There is no possible way for a point guard under 6ft 4 to knock over another player 6ft 9 or bigger." If Shaq or Eddy Curry ever ended up on the ground cause of a guard everyone should just laugh at them.

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
They'll never fine a guy that got the call >:(

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 10:21:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I think the Refs should get a fine for allowing a flop to be called a foul. I think a 5,000 dollar fine per bad call would stop it in a heartbeat.

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 10:27:17 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I think the Refs should get a fine for allowing a flop to be called a foul. I think a 5,000 dollar fine per bad call would stop it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, really, Liam ... TP! Fine the moronic officials who can't tell the difference between a flop and a foul ... even my 8-year-old niece can tell when a player is faking!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Yeah, really, Liam ... TP! Fine the moronic officials who can't tell the difference between a flop and a foul ... even my 8-year-old niece can tell when a player is faking!

Totally. The flops are just like little kids trying to get away with something, most just look silly. Even though these refs see it over and over again they're still fooled, but if there cash was on the line it would be a different story.