Author Topic: Fines will be imposed for clear cases of flopping next season  (Read 12989 times)

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100
In a related story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3416579

edit - this needed it;s own thread
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:35:59 AM by wdleehi »

Re: Fines will be imposed for clear cases of flopping next season
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:39:40 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Terrible idea. 

Get ready to see FT parades.  The only way to avoid blocking calls that should be called charges is to fall down.

Players start losing money, they are going to have to just foul. 

Or worst, get out of the way.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:42:11 AM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I think suspension would be a better idea. After 3 flops you lose a game.  If do 3 more flops 2 games and so on...

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 01:43:04 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
A big step in the right direction, it is completely out of control and completely ruins the game. I remember when players used to actually try to block shots. Only problem is the refs still don't know how to call it, they need to remove that circle, they use it as a crutch rather than using obvious logic, if a player is standing still you should never be allowed to run over him. That being said, I'll believe it when I see it.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:52 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Terrible idea. 

Get ready to see FT parades.  The only way to avoid blocking calls that should be called charges is to fall down.

Players start losing money, they are going to have to just foul. 

Or worst, get out of the way.

I kind of agree and disagree, in today's game, it is officiated so that if you don't fall down, it is a block, that's why players flop, but I also hate flopping, so the intention to get rid of it is good. However, that's not the solution, the fine line between block/charge needs to be examined finely by the refs in the offseason instead. What has the league's officiating come to nowadays...geez
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:15:38 AM by kw10 »
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:11:30 AM »

Offline rmcc4444

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
best idea since the 3 pt. line. 

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:47:20 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
In Europe the refs give a warning for the first flop. If any player flops again a TF is is
called. I think is better than a fine.
When you flop you earn something for your team. So the "punishement" should take something from the team also.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 06:18:01 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
In Europe the refs give a warning for the first flop. If any player flops again a TF is is
called. I think is better than a fine.
When you flop you earn something for your team. So the "punishement" should take something from the team also.

This actually seems like a very good idea to me, something along these lines would be much better, someone bring this up to David Stern, btw TP for u.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 06:39:10 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
You want to stop flopping?

1. Don't call a foul JUST because a guy falls down.  Defenders give up enough uncontested layups, they'll stop flopping.

2. Start actually calling offensive fouls even when the defender doesn't land on his ass.  It CAN still be a foul when the offensive player hits the defender but he doesn't go flying across court.

Of course, this all requires a certain level of competance among NBA referees than may be, well, unrealistic to expect...

Regarding Hack-A-Shaq, I can't believe they didn't go with very simple change...  an intentional (non-flagrant) foul off the ball becomes a technical foul, one free throw and the ball out of bounds.  Very simple solution.  Still lets teams foul at the end of games when they'r down four or five with fifteen seconds left. 

Almost totally off-topic, I had a thought last night...

When teams need to foul at the end of the game, why do they ALWAYS foul the guy with the ball?  Why not employ "Hack-A-Shaq" on whoever the worst free throw shooter is?  If the Celtics inbound to Ray Allen, why does everyone rush to foul him instead of putting Rajon Rondo in a bear hug?  Are the rules different for the last few minutes, or is it just that refs won't call an off-the-ball foul at the end like they would in the second quarter?

I mean, you're usually only going to have pretty good FT shooters on the court at the end of the game, but someone's always going to be the shakiest.  Why can't you just foul whoever's on the court?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:46:50 AM by the_Bird »

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:38:51 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Flopping and hack-a-shack are totaly different things.

I can`t understand why commiting fouls should be penalised. Unless the fouls puts in danger the health of a player then wh`ts the problem. Free throws are part of the game. Why protect players that can`t hit them?

On the other side when flopping you are not taking advantage of something.It`s a "fraud". The rules describe what is a foul and not what looks like a foul.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »

Offline 86 Celtics

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Wow, this is going to take away a lot of Manu and Rip Hamilton's games!!!  Oh no!!!  When I hear "Flop"...these are the two biggest culprits.  They have taken flopping to a new level, using it on both ends of the court.  I hate watching both of these players.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »

Offline TheConnection

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Almost totally off-topic, I had a thought last night...

When teams need to foul at the end of the game, why do they ALWAYS foul the guy with the ball?  Why not employ "Hack-A-Shaq" on whoever the worst free throw shooter is?  If the Celtics inbound to Ray Allen, why does everyone rush to foul him instead of putting Rajon Rondo in a bear hug?  Are the rules different for the last few minutes, or is it just that refs won't call an off-the-ball foul at the end like they would in the second quarter?

I mean, you're usually only going to have pretty good FT shooters on the court at the end of the game, but someone's always going to be the shakiest.  Why can't you just foul whoever's on the court?

This results in a free throw and the ball for the offensive team, when it is under 2 mins to go.  We did this to Ben Wallace a couple times with like 4 mins left in games.  Mike Brown would take him out immediately, or at least until the 2 min mark.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 08:52:39 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Thanks, never knew that.  TP!

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »

Offline bostonsportsfan

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
i dont see why you just cant call a personal foul for flopping The Nhl does it thats one of the few things they do correctly make it a penalty. I could deffinatly see a tech being called but id be happy if they just called a personal foul

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:11:23 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
i'm glad the league is trying to do something about the flopping epidemic, but i don't think they are going about it the right way. there would be no need for fines or suspensions if the refs would do their job and stop rewarding king james, manu, and chauncey with freethrows everytime they flail their arms. is it that hard to NOT blow a whistle for these fools? i mean, come on.