Author Topic: Is Robert Horry a Hall of Famer?  (Read 14746 times)

Is Robert Horry a Hall of Famer?
« on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I figured I'd bring the discussion here since it's on the front page of espn.com

It's a good discussion actually I think.  The guy has 7 rings with three teams: Houston, Los Angeles, and San Antonio.

He earned the nickname "Big Shot Rob" for good measure with all of the winning shots he's made over his career.  He just seems to be that guy who's always in the right place at the right time.

With all that said, you look at only his career numbers (7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.3 apg) and you would think he had an underwhelming career and nowhere near hall of fame numbers.  This is of course if you had no idea about all the championships he has and the big shots he's hit.

Is he a Hall-of-Famer?  I would have to say no.  He has 7 rings yes, but besides the big shots he's hit, he's just an average or even slightly below average bench player who only shoots from behind the arc.  And you can't put someone in the hall of fame just because they hit a few game winners.  It's all about the numbers in my book.

Re: Is Robert Horry a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:30:12 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
No.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:31:20 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I don't think he's anywhere close to being a hall of famer.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yes I think he should be a Hall of Famer

No I don't think he'll get the vote

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No way.  The Hall of Fame is for the best of the best.  It is a great accomplishment winning so many times, but that doesn't make him a hall of famer.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

Sure he's made his share of clutch shots ..BUT

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!!
Kenny Lofton should be in the baseball...he's in the playoffs evry year and has a few rings

If I didn't have a life, I would do an analysis of the NBA  and come up with three dozen more deserving...

Maybe top award for the Will Smith look alike contest

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 08:53:13 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Well, it sure would open the door for Perk as Horry's career numbers are a gaudy 7 points and 5 rebounds.

Off the top of my head, Larry Siegfried won (and contributed to) 5 rings with the C's scored about 12-13 points per game while here. He shot free throws with the best of them and defended very well.  I would bet his name has never surfaced as a hall of fame candidate.  

No. Horry followed a trail of great players to his rings. Hats off to a few big shots and a few big games, but nowhere near worthy of HOF status.  

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't think so but there are a thousand other people that probably shouldn't be in it either.  I can't fathom why Dominique wouldn't make it on the first try but then other people who I've never heard of are in there.  High school coaches, European scouts, women's college coaches.  Not that I have anything against them, but shouldn't the Hall of Fame have famous people?  

If DJ and Chris Mullin aren't in there then I don't think Horry should be.  If he was on Atlanta for his whole career it wouldn't even be a thought.  He was a great role player with other Hall of Famers, he's not a Hall of Famer himself.  He never carried a team, never made an All Star team.  How can that be Hall of Fame?

It hardly matters, most of the time there is one or two people per year who are actually deserving of the HOF where 6 or 8 people usually get added.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Right place in the right time?  It is no coincidence that every team he plays for is a winning team.

I don't think he will be a Hall of Famer, but if I had a vote I'd certainly give him one.

Frank Ramsey got 7 rings as a role player and got elected to the HoF with a 13/5 career average - whose to say Horry shouldn't by the "numbers" argument.

7 rings with 3 teams is quite impressive - who else has done that?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »

Offline 86 Celtics

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
No way! Not even close!  Okay, back up a step...what team is going to retire his jersey number?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:07:21 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
No way! Not even close!  Okay, back up a step...what team is going to retire his jersey number?

Definitely not the Lakers because of their rich history and great players. Not the Spurs because he's terrible there. Closest one is probably Houston... and he won't even get his jersey number hung up there.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
No.

Agreed.  He's never been an all-star, and he's not in the top 65 of any major statistical category (and he barely reaches that bench mark in blocks, steals, and three pointers, none of which were tabulated prior to 1973).  Over his career he's averaged 7.0 points and 4.8 rebounds.  Those aren't Hall of Fame numbers.

If you want to reward a player for being a contributor to multiple championship teams, put Dennis Rodman in there, who may be the best rebounder of all time (certainly of the last 30 years). 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
No, but an interesting discussion. I have only been to the Hall of Fame once-is there some role player exhibit? Obviously it is great to put out hypothetical dream teams-but for a full league with 82 games and playoffs, you need role players. Horry fits the bill.

Alternate discussion, who are the best role players of all time?

I elect Jeff Hornacek, even though he was pretty much a strater. Guy looked like a less athletic version of my dad and prince charles. I miss him.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I guess I'm with the minority that think he should be in the Hall.

No way.  The Hall of Fame is for the best of the best.  It is a great accomplishment winning so many times, but that doesn't make him a hall of famer.

What makes you a Hall of Famer then? I'll take winning over great numbers any days.  It's not like where talking about Jud Buechler here.  When you play on 3 different multiple championship teams I think it's a little more than a coincidence.  I'd compare it to this, say James Posey wins 2 championships on this team in the next 2 years, then he signs with Cleveland for 3 years and wins a couple of more.  Then signs with another team and wins another championship.  We'd be talking 6 championship rings for Posey.  Obviously he wouldn't be a star player or even a starter on those teams, but we all know what Posey brings to the team and he's definitely an important but completely unheralded piece of the championship puzzle. When the ultimate sucess follows you around and you prove to be a vital contributor on multiple championship teams, you would get my vote to be in the Hall.  Doing it only with one team, we can call that a fluke or riding a superstars coattails, but when you do it on multiple teams with different stars time and time again, that's something that should be recognized.

If you want to reward a player for being a contributor to multiple championship teams, put Dennis Rodman in there, who may be the best rebounder of all time (certainly of the last 30 years). 

I'll put Dennis Rodman in the Hall in a second too, but he won't make it due to politics more than anything else.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:26:15 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Speaking of dennis rodman, I just found a video of him getting into it with brickowski---fun times

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQI0ZwDu4EI&feature=related][/url]