San Antonio in 4
San Antonio in 5
San Antonio in 6
San Antonio in 7
Lakers in 4
Lakers in 5
Lakers in 6
Lakers in 7

Author Topic: San Antonio vs LA Lakers - Western Conference Finals  (Read 41153 times)

Re: San Antonio vs LA Lakers - Western Conference Finals
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
What's wrong with Manu?

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2008, 10:50:40 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Rondo should really imitate Tony Parker in getting on the break after a defensive board. Like Parker he can just turn on the jets and beat everyone else down the floor.

Yup ... Parker got that from studying tape of Dennis Johnson - DJ was a master of the one-man fast-break - about 3 or 4 times every game, he'd somehow know when the perfect time was, and as soon as the ball was inbounded to him, he'd be off down the floor and have a layup before anyone on either team knew what had happened! The amazing thing was that it seemed like he only took 4 or 5 steps to get the length of the floor, as he used these amazing long, low strides ... it was really a joy to watch, and would leave everyone thinking: What the heck just happened? What was that blur of green and brown?!? Really sweet ... and smooth! (Miss you, Deej!)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2008, 10:57:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Rondo should really imitate Tony Parker in getting on the break after a defensive board. Like Parker he can just turn on the jets and beat everyone else down the floor.

Yup ... Parker got that from studying tape of Dennis Johnson - DJ was a master of the one-man fast-break - about 3 or 4 times every game, he'd somehow know when the perfect time was, and as soon as the ball was inbounded to him, he'd be off down the floor and have a layup before anyone on either team knew what had happened! The amazing thing was that it seemed like he only took 4 or 5 steps to get the length of the floor, as he used these amazing long, low strides ... it was really a joy to watch, and would leave everyone thinking: What the heck just happened? What was that blur of green and brown?!? Really sweet ... and smooth! (Miss you, Deej!)
DJ did a great job of using his strength and pinning the defenders on his hip, just riding them up the court and never allowing them to get back in the play, then laying it on home.

Deron Williams does the same thing. Actually Sam Cassell does too when he runs which isn't much these days..

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Just turned the game on tonight but why is Gasol allowed to put 2 hands on Duncan every time in the post? They seem to call it every time in the Eastern playoffs.

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2008, 11:21:34 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Barry might get less lift on his J than Cassell does.  I didn't think that was possible.  His seem to go down more often though.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2008, 11:25:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It's not rocket science. Play Brent Barry minutes and you're a better basketball team. All playoffs long I've wanted this guy to get minutes. He was a key last night and he's the reason (after Duncan/Parker) the Spurs are still in this game.

Brilliant shooter. Quality passer. Good ballhanlder. Long, active, plays solid D, moves well without the ball, runs the floor. That sounds like a player that is worth having on the floor. Especially when you've been dying on perimeter shots all series and have been inconsistent throughout the playoffs and mediocre throughout the regular season from three as a team. Spurs need more shooters.

Barry does for San Antonio what Korver does for Utah. He needs minutes.

Glad to see Pop playing him tonight, must continue playing him to have any hope in this series.

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Uh-oh it's Kobe time.  He smells blood in the water.  I really, really can't stand him, but you gotta respect him.  He's the best this league's got.  Just saying that makes me cringe, and feel a little bit like Wes Mantooth...

http://www.vvaughn.com/videos/cameos/2004%20-%20anchorman/anchorman04.jpg
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
It's not rocket science. Play Brent Barry minutes and you're a better basketball team. All playoffs long I've wanted this guy to get minutes. He was a key last night and he's the reason (after Duncan/Parker) the Spurs are still in this game.

Brilliant shooter. Quality passer. Good ballhanlder. Long, active, plays solid D, moves well without the ball, runs the floor. That sounds like a player that is worth having on the floor. Especially when you've been dying on perimeter shots all series and have been inconsistent throughout the playoffs and mediocre throughout the regular season from three as a team. Spurs need more shooters.

Glad to see Pop playing him tonight, must continue playing him to have any hope in this series.

But he is a little bit streaky.

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yeah ... I would love to have Barry in green, he's one of those bench guys who always gives 120%, who brings energy to the game, and who has that contagious enthusiasm, (the same qualities I love about Big Baby, actually) ... also a great shooter and passer, and that's always a good thing! If I was an NBA coach, I'd love to have Brent warming the wood for me, (BBD too, for that matter).

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2008, 11:43:23 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Uh-oh it's Kobe time.  He smells blood in the water.  I really, really can't stand him, but you gotta respect him.  He's the best this league's got.  Just saying that makes me cringe, and feel a little bit like Wes Mantooth...

I know the feeling ... but don't apologize for calling him the best, he very clearly IS, however we feel about him personally, (anyone who says otherwise is in denial).

That said, I'd love to see the Lakers NOT win tonight, OR the series, but it's looking negative at this point.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2008, 11:55:25 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics

I know the feeling ... but don't apologize for calling him the best, he very clearly IS, however we feel about him personally, (anyone who says otherwise is in denial).

That said, I'd love to see the Lakers NOT win tonight, OR the series, but it's looking negative at this point.

Ever since I said that he's been playing pretty poorly.  That could either be reverse psychology or the voodoo doll I have  ;)

I agree, let's see the Spurs pull something off here.

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Totally a foul.  Wow.  Terrible officiating.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2008, 11:57:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
officials just stole that game from LA...total garbage the NBA has to do something that was as easy a foul to call as anything

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
And the refs are a storyline again in this one.  What's that old saying, "if the refs aren't part of the story then they did their job."  I'd say they're not doing their job too well in this playoff run.  At least it's not just us, even when I can look at them objectively and without bias they still suck.

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2008, 11:58:03 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Totally a foul.  Wow.  Terrible officiating.

Well, they obviously want the Lakers in the finals. That foul was impossible to miss! But the refs  pointedly look the other way.