Author Topic: Marcus Morris: better to trade or stretch?  (Read 9209 times)

Marcus Morris: better to trade or stretch?
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
C's close to signing Marcus Smart to a fair priced long term contract. Assuming C's want to remain under lux tax threshold one last season (maybe they don't care, but lets assume they do), something/someone has to give, and that someone is probably Morris.

I think there are still four teams with enough cap space to absorb Morris's 5,375,000 contract (thus C's take no salary back, just a trade exception, I think?), but C's will have to also give up a 2nd round pick and maybe some cash as well to get other team to play ball.

Another option would be for the C's to waive, then stretch Morris's contract over 3 years.  This path could also get C's under the tax while keeping a future 2nd rd pick.

Option 1:  part with 2nd rd pick and maybe some cash

Option 2:  pay full 5,375,000 salary, but keep the 2nd rd pick

If the goal is to stay under the luxury tax threshold, which option do you prefer?

A side note:  all of the lux tax computations happen at the end of the season, so Morris could be traded as late as the trade dealine (early/mid Feb) or waived by ??? (someone help me here)

Re: Marcus Morris: better to trade or stretch?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 09:26:14 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Neither. We're going for banner 18, we keep Morris and all the depth and versatility we can get.

Ainge and ownership have already said several times they are ready to pay the luxury tax to win.

Morris provides versatility, is a solid defender, can get buckets in a flash off the bench, and has the toughness that you want in a bench veteran on a title team.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:31:20 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Trade.  Stretching keeps money on the books this year, as well as in 2020 and 2021.

My first option would probably be to trade Yabu, though.  I don't think he's an NBA rotation player, now or in the future.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:30:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
1) There are several teams with trade exceptions who could take Morris
2) Stretching a player must occur by September 1st, so you wouldn’t get any of Morris’ contributions during the season this way
3) A team under the tax could get Morris by sending back a shade over $3 million in salary, so there are potentially other options to move a couple million of salary in getting rid of Morris if truly needed.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Better to just keep. He's a good bench player and brings a sense of bully/toughness to the team. He's def about that life.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Trade.  Stretching keeps money on the books this year, as well as in 2020 and 2021.

My first option would probably be to trade Yabu, though.  I don't think he's an NBA rotation player, now or in the future.

This ^ Yabu is a wasted roster spot. Morris is more bark than bite but I would rather hold on to him if only for the intimidating presence he brings. When he's good he's good but when he's bad he totally sucks. Call me crazy but I still would rather play with him then against him.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Another option would be for the C's to waive, then stretch Morris's contract over 3 years.  This path could also get C's under the tax while keeping a future 2nd rd pick.

Stop. There's zero chance Morris is waived and stretched this season. There are multiple aspiring playoff teams he'd play a significant role on league-wide if Boston did in fact choose that particular mechanism of getting under the tax.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 10:27:51 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
2) Stretching a player must occur by September 1st, so you wouldn’t get any of Morris’ contributions during the season this way
3) A team under the tax could get Morris by sending back a shade over $3 million in salary, so there are potentially other options to move a couple million of salary in getting rid of Morris if truly needed.

How does that work? Isn't that still just using a Traded Player Exception? I am looking at Larry Coon's section describing the differences between Simultaneous and Non-Simultaneous transactions. Are both those options in play?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

How does that work? Isn't that still just using a Traded Player Exception? I am looking at Larry Coon's section describing the differences between Simultaneous and Non-Simultaneous transactions. Are both those options in play?

Yeah, that’s the traded player exception in a simultaneous trade, or what we normally just call “matching salaries” in a trade.  You don’t have to match exactly.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Neither.... we need all the depth we can muster, and having a good scoring wing who can hold his own defensively against the better wings in the league off the bench is a massive plus.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 09:51:50 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
An important question here is, how much would we need to shed if smart signs for say, 12 million this year?  I was thinking it would be about 5 mil, which means stretching or Yabusele wouldn’t get it done.

Second, to answer the OP’s original point, no, we cannot simply cut someone to shed salary.  In that case, we would shed zero salary.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 10:01:48 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
It's only logical to assume that Morris has value around the league. No need to stretch him when we can trade him.

There are rumors that Smart's new contract could be frontloaded and decline year to year. If this is the case, I bet Morris will be traded for salary relief + minor asset.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:19:05 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Could trade Morris to Grizzlies for Wayne Selden and Andrew Harrison and save $2.285 million.

Could trade Morris and Yabusele to Grizzlies for Jarell Martin, Wayne Selden, and Andrew Harrison and save $2.548 million.

Then I'm assuming they could attach either Harrison or Selden to a 2nd round pick and try to get someone to take them off our hands?

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Could trade Morris to Grizzlies for Wayne Selden and Andrew Harrison and save $2.285 million.

Could trade Morris and Yabusele to Grizzlies for Jarell Martin, Wayne Selden, and Andrew Harrison and save $2.548 million.

Then I'm assuming they could attach either Harrison or Selden to a 2nd round pick and try to get someone to take them off our hands?

All of these would push the Grizzlies above the tax, so they’re a no-go.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Keep him..never know bout injuries during course of the year
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin