Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76875 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Love Gronk, but he took it way too far today.

Even if he's frustrated about the lack of calls (and there were a lot), you don't just pull a WWE move on some defender who's already on the ground 3 whole seconds after the play was over. Poor defender probably got a concussion from that.

It's honestly pathetic seeing some of our fan-base actually defending Gronk here too. It was a completely boneheaded move that probably injured a defender well after the play.

I predict Gronk WON'T get suspended though, but he'll definitely get fined heavily. BUT IF he is suspended, it will only be for one game, which is fine since we need him MORE for that Week 15 game @Pittsburgh.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2017, 05:43:32 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Patriots Fan here: I believe Gronk should get suspended. That was classless, and much worse than throwing a punch on someone who is looking at you.

Truly disturbing.

« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2017, 06:29:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I dont think there is really a precedent for him to be suspended.

Wouldnt mind a 1 gamer. Dont think we need him next week and there is no way this is a multi-game thing.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Another game Belichick is leaving Brady and Gronk and various other guys in there way way too long because he either doesn't have confidence in Hoyer or his defense or both. I wish just one journalist or reporter had the guts to call him on it but none of them do.
Im gonna go ahead and trust Bill here.
He's not perfect. He's actually a human being. He makes mistakes. It's ok to recognize that. I would have trusted Hoyer and the defense.
I think finishing the games is part of the overall culture in New England and a big part of the success Bill has had.

He keeps guys in for a reason.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2017, 06:36:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I understand Gronk's frustration. He had a bogus pass interference called against him. He was constantly being held downfield, and the guy that intercepted the pass held AND interferred with Gronk. No call.

That said, that was a pretty scummy move by Gronk and he probably deserves a suspension and definitely deserves a fine.

« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2017, 06:46:25 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
4 more wins then home field throughout!

I’d absolutely love to see the Steelers drop one tomorrow night.

« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
4 more wins then home field throughout!

I’d absolutely love to see the Steelers drop one tomorrow night.

Same, but still think they win. I have no hope from the mediocre Bengals.

BUT.. that Week 14 game could be one they drop. Baltimore have looked VERY GOOD lately and those PIT-BAL games are always fiesty and tough. Could see PIT dropping one there.

« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Jay Cutler on national TV against the Patriots is gonna be interesting.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Well, it's never easy for the Pats whenever they play AT Miami, so we'll see.

Also worried because the Dolphins may look to hit Brady all night like they did a week ago (w/Suh, Wake, etc.)

« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2017, 01:13:20 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Also worried because the Dolphins may look to hit Brady all night like they did a week ago (w/Suh, Wake, etc.)
Have lost 3 out of the last 4 in Miami.

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2017, 03:21:31 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Pretty dumb move by gronk but I definitely understand the frustration on his end. Refs not only this game but throughout his career have let defenders get away with murder against him. They called a bs pass interference on him as well as a hold later in the 2nd half where he definitely didn't hold and let the defense grab and hold him almost every play. The actual play before the cheap shot he was held as well as interfered with and nothing. He's just gotta keep his cool better, and for the most part he does a great job of it. I could see a 25k fine but I can't see them giving a suspension when they didn't give one to AJ green for going ufc on jalen Ramsey earlier this year
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2017, 08:36:15 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Another game Belichick is leaving Brady and Gronk and various other guys in there way way too long because he either doesn't have confidence in Hoyer or his defense or both. I wish just one journalist or reporter had the guts to call him on it but none of them do.
Someone called him for it last week and Belichick shut them down pretty quick. He wasn't nice about it either.
He had cop out answers and someone should say that to his face. "Tell me the play he'll get hurt on."  What a stupid thing to say. And this from the guy who routinely holds players out of preseason games and has had plenty of seasons ruined by injuries.
Belichick has had a bunch of seasons ruined by injury? They have been to 11 AFC championships, 7 Superbowls and won 5 Superbowls. Kinda hard to say he had too many seasons ruined by injury.
Well there were the Gronk arm seasons. There was the Brady ACL season.  This season things don't look great on the injury front.

By "ruined"  I mean there was an opportunity to do better there.

Did those seasons get ruined by leaving guys in too long? I don't think so. But there have definitely been seasons where injuries played a significantly negative part
Maybe I read it wrong but it sure seemed to me that you were saying that Belichick was somehow responsible for injuries that "ruined" seasons for the Pats. If you aren't saying that then what is your point?

Injuries are part of the game. You deal with them much like they did with Gronk last season and with how they are dealing with injuries to Edelman and Hightower this year. The only way you can complain about Belichick leaving guys in too long is if someone gets injured in blowout garbage time. I don't think that's ever happened.
I don't think a Pats season has ever been ruined by an injury that Belichick was responsible for. I don't think he was responsible for Brady's knee, nor when they targeted Gronk's knee. I do think he was responsible for having Edelman out there in a meaningless preseason game, but this season isn't ruined by that. If we get to the Super Bowl and the other team just covers all our guys and nobody can get open.....it would be a stretch, but I think under that circumstance you could say "Shouldn't have had starters in a meaningless preseason game they didn't need to be in."

I agree I can't think of a time a player ever got hurt in garbage time (unless you see preseason as garbage time) but just because it doesn't happen doesn't mean it never could.

« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Someone called him for it last week and Belichick shut them down pretty quick. He wasn't nice about it either.
He had cop out answers and someone should say that to his face. "Tell me the play he'll get hurt on."  What a stupid thing to say. And this from the guy who routinely holds players out of preseason games and has had plenty of seasons ruined by injuries.
Belichick has had a bunch of seasons ruined by injury? They have been to 11 AFC championships, 7 Superbowls and won 5 Superbowls. Kinda hard to say he had too many seasons ruined by injury.
Well there were the Gronk arm seasons. There was the Brady ACL season.  This season things don't look great on the injury front.

By "ruined"  I mean there was an opportunity to do better there.

Did those seasons get ruined by leaving guys in too long? I don't think so. But there have definitely been seasons where injuries played a significantly negative part
Maybe I read it wrong but it sure seemed to me that you were saying that Belichick was somehow responsible for injuries that "ruined" seasons for the Pats. If you aren't saying that then what is your point?

Injuries are part of the game. You deal with them much like they did with Gronk last season and with how they are dealing with injuries to Edelman and Hightower this year. The only way you can complain about Belichick leaving guys in too long is if someone gets injured in blowout garbage time. I don't think that's ever happened.
I don't think a Pats season has ever been ruined by an injury that Belichick was responsible for. I don't think he was responsible for Brady's knee, nor when they targeted Gronk's knee. I do think he was responsible for having Edelman out there in a meaningless preseason game, but this season isn't ruined by that. If we get to the Super Bowl and the other team just covers all our guys and nobody can get open.....it would be a stretch, but I think under that circumstance you could say "Shouldn't have had starters in a meaningless preseason game they didn't need to be in."

I agree I can't think of a time a player ever got hurt in garbage time (unless you see preseason as garbage time) but just because it doesn't happen doesn't mean it never could.
I am torn with preseason games. The games definitely help players get up to game speed and provides time to get your body, timing, and instincts up to what you want. They are also necessary for the coaches to assess talent and teach the system in gam situations.

On the other hand, long time vets probably need this less if they are committed to being in shape during the offseason. And, with 4 games, it just increases the chances of injury.

Not sure I would blame the coach for having a vet playing in the preseason and getting hurt. Again, its part of the game and I am sure most vets want to get some preseason playing time in to assess where they are and what they have to do moving forward.

« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Have lost 3 out of the last 4 in Miami.
I'd much rather just not have Gronk @Miami and perhaps even vs. Buffalo. Don't wan't to have to worry about goons like Kiko Alonso taking his knees out.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."