Author Topic: What's your NBA Mount Rushmore?  (Read 22705 times)

What's your NBA Mount Rushmore?
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Had a discussion in another thread about how I believe that Bird isn't particularly close to being in the NBA Mount Rushmore, and I'd like to know which players you guys have in your top 4. I'm not very high on GOAT discussions, but when you start ranking players in ranges it gets interesting with so many great players in the history of the NBA.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: What's your NBA Mount Rushmore?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Easy (green glasses off): Bird, Russell, MJ, Wilt

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Seems super green to me :laugh:, but interesting list. What makes you think that Bird and Wilt are in the top 4?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 10:36:22 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Had a discussion in another thread about how I believe that Bird isn't particularly close to being in the NBA Mount Rushmore, and I'd like to know which players you guys have in your top 4. I'm not very high on GOAT discussions, but when you start ranking players in ranges it gets interesting with so many great players in the history of the NBA.

Really? Because he's one of the first people I think of.

But to answer the question

Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Shaq.

Russell, Bird and Jordan for obvious reasons.

Shaq because in addition to his 3 championships, I've never seen a center dominate in my lifetime like him.

There's likely other guys who should strongly be in consideration, but that's who comes to mind based on what I've witnessed and then Bill Russell, because of his accomplishments.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

What's your argument that Bird isn't particularly close?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Really? Because he's one of the first people I think of.

But to answer the question

Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Shaq.

Russell, Bird and Jordan for obvious reasons.

Shaq because in addition to his 3 championships, I've never seen a center dominate in my lifetime like him.

There's likely other guys who should strongly be in consideration, but that's who comes to mind based on what I've witnessed and then Bill Russell, because of his accomplishments.
Yeah he's really not close to being in it when I start comparing him to the other greats in NBA history, or at least imo. I like the inclusion of Shaq, even though he's not in my Mount Rushmore he's the closest player to my top 4. His apex was legendary, no centre save for Kareem dominated on offense like him (and even then Kareem was a rung down from peak Shaq), and his defense during his peak wasn't too shabby either!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Russell, Havlicek, Bird, Pierce.

It is MY Mount Rushmore after all!!!

😋😋😋

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

What's your argument that Bird isn't particularly close?
His offensive and defensive peaks never overlapped together (depriving him of a top 5 peak) and he had problematic longevity when compared with other All-Time greats. His offense also had enough blemishes (although I'm seriously nitpicking when I'm comparing his postseason offenses to guys like LeBron and Jordan) that he's a GOAT level offensive player instead of the GOAT offensive player. I do feel that he could've been close to the Mount Rushmore (or in it) if his MVP calibre play lasted for 3-5 more seasons while tacking on a few more good post-prime years though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Russell, Havlicek, Bird, Pierce.

It is MY Mount Rushmore after all!!!

Havlicek and Pierce weren't too bad, they actually have great arguments to be top 40 players due to their fantastic longevity imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Seems super green to me :laugh:, but interesting list. What makes you think that Bird and Wilt are in the top 4?
I just see Bird as one of the if not the greatest SF to play the game. His court vision, smarts and pure killer instinct are just unparalleled. Imagine what he could do in Lebron's body. Now imagine what Lebron would do in Bird's. I saw you picked Lebron over him for you Mt Rushmore. What's your justification? One MVP and a few all-NBA selections more? I also believe Bird played in a much more competitive period in the NBA than LBJ.

As for Wilt, it's just his monster stats, freak athleticism and durability (averaging 48.5 min per game, just absurd).

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Russell, Kareem, Jordan, Magic and Bird

I really can't separate Magic and Bird, they're so much a part of each other's story and also the story of the 80s in the NBA. Both retired too soon compared to their talent and peers historically because of injury/disease as well.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Russ and MJ for obvious reasons. Magic b/c he made his team mates so much better. And Wilt. Despite Wilt underachieving, his enormous talents and dominance earn him a spot on Rushmore. Bird would definitely be in my top 7.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Russell and Jordan are locks.

Could make arguments for Bird,  Magic,  Kareem,  Wilt,  Shaq.

I personally would round mine out with Bird and Magic, but see no issues putting any of the other three on there... I will grant that of the four I have,  Bird is the most likely to be knocked off.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I just see Bird as one of the if not the greatest SF to play the game. His court vision, smarts and pure killer instinct are just unparalleled. Imagine what he could do in Lebron's body. Now imagine what Lebron would do in Bird's. I saw you picked Lebron over him for you Mt Rushmore. What's your justification? One MVP and a few all-NBA selections more? I also believe Bird played in a much more competitive period in the NBA than LBJ.

As for Wilt, it's just his monster stats, freak athleticism and durability (averaging 48.5 min per game, just absurd).
My justification is that LeBron's prime is as long as Bird's career, and that's not even counting LeBron's first 5 seasons in the league - he tacks on 2 seasons that have an outside argument for MVP, an All-NBA season and an All-Star year in that 5 year span. And I don't think that a more competitive league would boost Bird's accomplishments to the point that 8 prime Bird seasons+3 post-prime years is more valuable than 4 years of good pre-peak LeBron+11 seasons of prime LeBron, especially when Bird didn't clearly have a better peak (I'd go so far as to argue that LeBron trumps Bird in that category as well).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Real answer:

Russell, because he is the league's greatest winner. Also, because he was so innovative. First black coach. First black leader of a team. And a major advocate for civil rights. And he was also one of the greatest rebounders and defenders ever.

Bird and Magic because besides the talent and accomplishes, they led the NBA out of the disaster that was 1970's basketball with there being two leagues and rampant cocaine and other drug problems affecting the game. They saved basketball. Ratings soared, as did revenue and basketball overtook hockey and baseball as the country's 2nd most popular sport. All because of Larry and Magic. They were that influential.

Then, of course, Michael who took everything from Larry and Magic and built on it. He also became the best player ever. The greatest shoe salesman ever(after Bird and Magic started the basketball shoes revolution and branding). And a culture changer.

Those are your NBA Mount Rushmore players, because reaching those heights means more than just counting stats.