Author Topic: Thinking outside the box for Jaylen Brown and Brogdon trades  (Read 3272 times)

Re: Thinking outside the box for Jaylen Brown and Brogdon trades
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Why do we want the Celtics to take a step back?

TP.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2023, 11:55:14 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71

TP.

It’s not that we want that, I can only speak for myself but I’m scared of both jays on a Supermax contract which would be 70% of our cap. I think this pairing has reached its peak and the supporting cast is only going to get weaker with the new cba…
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2023, 12:04:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

TP.

It’s not that we want that, I can only speak for myself but I’m scared of both jays on a Supermax contract which would be 70% of our cap. I think this pairing has reached its peak and the supporting cast is only going to get weaker with the new cba…

I can understand the approach to "diversify" away from building the team around two max wings, I get the concern there.  But trading Brown for prospects and draft picks is not the answer in my mind.  Our window is NOW.  Trade Brown for Towns.  Trade Brown for Murray and Collins (just using for example).  Get proven reliable vets for Brown.

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2023, 04:22:27 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White

TP.

I can understand the approach to "diversify" away from building the team around two max wings, I get the concern there.  But trading Brown for prospects and draft picks is not the answer in my mind.  Our window is NOW.  Trade Brown for Towns.  Trade Brown for Murray and Collins (just using for example).  Get proven reliable vets for Brown.

Probably you're right, but also depends on how you view scoot. I would never trade brown for future picks, that would be stupid. But if scoot is a future superstar then it might be worth it.. I just really like his energy/confidence/leadership, which is also why I don't want towns on this team.
Memphis Grizzlies
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2023, 04:41:35 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
I think I've seen just about enough of JB letting the C's down in big moments. This is his 7th playoff appearance as a Celtics and he still hasn't helped gotten us a title yet, or even a second NBA finals appearance.

When your number 1 player is injured, you pulled a dud of a Game 7 performance at home to some lesser team. When you drive into the lane you do so with 3 defenders in front of you, causing you to turnover the ball. And his ballhandling skills has been sus all these years.

To top it off, his offcourt personality is just ehh. Called out the Garden. Making empty tweets like "energy shifting" after the 76ers series before going down 0-3 against the Heat. Seems very bff with Kyrie and possibly affecting his mental attitude. That's just my view on the guy.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2023, 06:07:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Very weird idea I had recently… don’t think I heard it before. But what about brown for #2 (scoot Henderson) and Hayward. It’s definitely risky because of the injury risk, but Hayward is better next to Tatum in theory and if Scoot is really a Westbrook/Rose/Morant type player I would go for it.

I prefer Anfernee Simons from Portland with the #3 pick over Hayward and the #2 pick. Even it means missing on Scoot and taking Brandon Miller instead.

I love Hayward but he hasn't finished a season healthy since he went to Charlotte. Far too much of an injury risk to be depended on. He keeps ruining CHA's seasons. He would do the same here.

A young & healthy Hayward would have been a fantastic complement to Tatum. If that Hayward still existed, I'd happily trade Jaylen for him straight up. Hayward much more of a team player.

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2023, 07:18:07 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
With all the trades involving Jaylen Brown it's talking about bringing back a superstar for the most part besides the Simmons and the 3rd pick from the Blazers.  What if we went to a team who's always trying to get a superstar and would give Brown his own team.  Plus with Brogdon he's an expensive 6th man and we should use him to gain some bench depth.  I'd be interested in seeing what everybody would think.  As this sets us up now and in future years when contracts run out for current Celtics.

Celtics Trade - Jaylen Brown, Payton Prichard and Luke Kornet and our 2nd round pick.
Pistons Trade - Jalen Duren, Jaden Ivey and the 5th pick.

Celtics Trade - Malcolm Brogdon
Nets Trade - Dorian Finney-Smith and Royce O'Neale

Celtics do this as Jaylen Brown is going to be to expensive for us to keep with Tatum in the long run yo have a team around them.  This give Tatum for lead of the Celtics and Brown gets the Pistons.  Duren gives us a young center behind Williams and can be a starter plus with Williams injury history will keep Williams fresher.  (Fits when Williams contract is up)  Ivey is a young guard that can start or become our new 6th man (Cheaper, younger and fits timeline for when Smart and White are up for contracts).  With the 5th pick it gives us options, a trade if we'd like to go for a star or we draft one of the players there.  First choice would be Scoot Henderson if he falls to 5.  If not we're looking at players like Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson, Cameron Whitmore and Jarace Walker.  With the Malcolm Brogdon trade it helps us gain two wings and Brogdon would become a starter again with the Nets.  This gives the Nets a starting point guard to put next to Bridges.

I think I prefer the Portland option of brown for Simmons. #3, and a filler on the brown side.  I do like the brogdan for dfs and Royse O'Neal in addition.

White, smart
Simmons, pp
Tatum, oneal
Dfs, hortford,Watford
Rw3, muscala, Korner

Very deep, with the #3 pick for youth and additional depth.

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2023, 09:27:26 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

TP.

Drafting a rookie is resetting the clock. It's going to be years before a 2023 draft pick can contribute to a title run. History supports that. No matter how you slice it, whoever you draft in June is not going to seriously impact the team right away. The clock is ticking on Tatum. He's not going to wait around for the team to sift through rookies. And he definitely shouldn't.

It's the 3rd year of the Jays era - when we stopped trying to make the remnants of the Hayward/Kyrie/Kemba moments works. In that time, we've been to the Finals and the ECF. The only year we didn't make a deep playoff run was when Jaylen broke his wrist. The idea that we're just going to punt on a 25 and 26 year old is completely wild.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2023, 10:40:42 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White

TP.

Drafting a rookie is resetting the clock. It's going to be years before a 2023 draft pick can contribute to a title run. History supports that. No matter how you slice it, whoever you draft in June is not going to seriously impact the team right away. The clock is ticking on Tatum. He's not going to wait around for the team to sift through rookies. And he definitely shouldn't.

It's the 3rd year of the Jays era - when we stopped trying to make the remnants of the Hayward/Kyrie/Kemba moments works. In that time, we've been to the Finals and the ECF. The only year we didn't make a deep playoff run was when Jaylen broke his wrist. The idea that we're just going to punt on a 25 and 26 year old is completely wild.

Maybe scoot is magic johnson 2.0?  ;D
Memphis Grizzlies

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2023, 11:21:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd be fine with a draft pick trade, but there has to be a win now component which is why the Portland trade makes a fair amount of sense i.e. Simons, Little, and 3 for Brown.  Simons slots in as the starting SG and you get Scoot or Miller for more long term development.

Really thinking outside the box on this one

Boston - 2, Sengun, Eason, Rozier or Hayward
Charlotte - 4
Houston - Brown

So basically acquire 4, Eason, and Sengun for Brown and then take on a big salary from Charlotte to move up from 4 to 2.  That gives Boston its choice between Henderson and Miller, while adding a 3rd year Horford replacement in Sengun, a somewhat promising 2nd year PF, and of course the familiar face from the Hornets who can step in right away and help. 

Charlotte gets out of a big contract and still gets a top 4 pick. 

Houston gets an established star to pair with Smith, Green, Porter, etc. and still has some room to add someone else (and plenty of assets if need be).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2023, 11:33:58 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
I'd be fine with a draft pick trade, but there has to be a win now component which is why the Portland trade makes a fair amount of sense i.e. Simons, Little, and 3 for Brown.  Simons slots in as the starting SG and you get Scoot or Miller for more long term development.

Charlotte - 4
Houston - Brown

So basically acquire 4, Eason, and Sengun for Brown and then take on a big salary from Charlotte to move up from 4 to 2.  That gives Boston its choice between Henderson and Miller, while adding a 3rd year Horford replacement in Sengun, a somewhat promising 2nd year PF, and of course the familiar face from the Hornets who can step in right away and help. 

Houston gets an established star to pair with Smith, Green, Porter, etc. and still has some room to add someone else (and plenty of assets if need be).

Interesting idea, but if I was a hornets fan I would get a severe depression. Trading the second pick with two players in the top tier of the draft to get rid of a bad salary would be so frustrating and would also cement jordans legacy as a terrible owner (if scoot is as good as I think he is)
Memphis Grizzlies

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2023, 06:38:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would probably do the Detroit trade to be honest. I am a huge, huge Duren fan. I think he has Dwight Howard-like potential, but see him more likely being a Jarrett Allen type.

I think Ivey is a strong prospect. There are some worries about him with his efficiency, but I think he'll grow into a very solid player. His athleticism and ability to draw fouls reminds me of a small DeRozan.

At #5 Jarace Walker or Taylor Hendricks would be brilliant Horford replacements. Both super defenders with different offensive skills, but I rate both highly.

Smart / Brogdon
Ivey / White
Tatum / Hauser
Horford / Walker
Williams 3 / Duren

Would take a step back next season, but I think the season after that the team would be ready to explode. See All-Star potential in all of Ivey, Duren & Jarace Walker
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2023, 07:39:20 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

TP.

I see your concerns with taking a step back here but what if this could be fixed by adding a third team.  Mind you I'm trying to stay outside the box some still.  You brought up the Hawks, they've been trying to get rid of Collins and would probably like to cash in the on failed Murray backcourt.  This trade does work money wise. 

Celtics trade - Brown and Prichard and 35th (To Pistons)  Brogdon and S&T Grant Williams (To Hawks)
Pistons trade - Ivey and Duren (To Celtics), 5th overall (To Hawks)
Hawks trade - Murray and Collins (To Celtics)

Celtics get some youth and two great starters, Pistons get there super star they're looking for, Hawks get a cheaper PF, a replacement for Murray and a high draft pick.

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2023, 07:49:53 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

Charlotte - 4
Houston - Brown

Thank you for thinking outside the box on this one.  I love the idea but personally I'd change 2 things.  I'd send Prichard to Hornets and take Rozier instead of Hayward.  I don't think the Rockets would want to give up Eason so I'd rather take Martin Jr. 

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2023, 08:26:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407

Charlotte - 4
Houston - Brown

Thank you for thinking outside the box on this one.  I love the idea but personally I'd change 2 things.  I'd send Prichard to Hornets and take Rozier instead of Hayward.  I don't think the Rockets would want to give up Eason so I'd rather take Martin Jr.

Rozier would be a nice complement / contrast to our guards. More of a scoring guard. Very good shooter nowadays although he had a down year this season. I like the way he would fit next to Smart & D White. I also like his fiestiness vs Brogdon's slow and steady ways.

I'd be interested in a Rozier for Brogdon swap. Reunite the old gang here in Boston. Smart and D White to run the PG and defend bigger SGs. Rozier to score, to play SG on offense and PG on defense.