Author Topic: Hated Tonight, and Now Woj + Shams Both Hint at Vuce Interest  (Read 7187 times)

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I usually only come on here during the offseason and trade deadlines so my apologies if this has been brought up but in just browsing I didn't see it here yet, but both Woj and Shams reported on interest the C's have in going after Vucevich in FA.

That's be the perfect topping on this crap-sundae.

I think Danny panicked after everything w/ Kyrie and Al, plain and simple. I don't think he knew what to do tonight so he played half upside and potential (Langford) and half playoff team pushing for wins (GW) and it ended up netting us a wing who can't shoot and plays like a poor man's Melo and a woefully undersized 4 who either needs to gain 2 inches or drop 20 lbs and add speed in order to be able to guard anybody in the nba.

And then the Vuce news.  I for the life of me will never understand why we'd trade a $5M center who can play defense and is coachable, just to clear space for a (will be) 29 year old  Center who granted has skills offensively, but will be a poor replacement for Al on offense and/or Baynes on D. 

Am I crazy?  Just punt rebounding (it clearly wasn't enough of an issue for you to worry about addressing with any of your 3 picks tonight).  Worry about the youth movement and building a core that can grow together and maybe get to the point of contending for a title in 2-3 years.  If I'm wrong tell me but isn't that the most logical path to take at this point?  And if so, wouldn't the only FAs who fit that profile this offseason be one of either Randle, Brogdon, or (my preference) D'Lo?

I have respect for Vuce's game but he's been around or above a 20 PER player since his 2nd year in the league and it's just made no difference for his team (nevermind the fact that prior to this past season he had 2 years in a row where his DRtg was higher than his ORtg).

Someone talk some sense into me?

Re: Hated Tonight, and Now Woj + Shams Both Hint at Vuce Interest
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 01:50:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I can't explain it. I'm a loss for words with what is going on this off season. Maybe the dysfunction last year started with DA and we are seeing more of it now.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:51:30 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I usually only come on here during the offseason and trade deadlines so my apologies if this has been brought up but in just browsing I didn't see it here yet, but both Woj and Shams reported on interest the C's have in going after Vucevich in FA.

That's be the perfect topping on this crap-sundae.

I think Danny panicked after everything w/ Kyrie and Al, plain and simple. I don't think he knew what to do tonight so he played half upside and potential (Langford) and half playoff team pushing for wins (GW) and it ended up netting us a wing who can't shoot and plays like a poor man's Melo and a woefully undersized 4 who either needs to gain 2 inches or drop 20 lbs and add speed in order to be able to guard anybody in the nba.

And then the Vuce news.  I for the life of me will never understand why we'd trade a $5M center who can play defense and is coachable, just to clear space for a (will be) 29 year old  Center who granted has skills offensively, but will be a poor replacement for Al on offense and/or Baynes on D. 

Am I crazy?  Just punt rebounding (it clearly wasn't enough of an issue for you to worry about addressing with any of your 3 picks tonight).  Worry about the youth movement and building a core that can grow together and maybe get to the point of contending for a title in 2-3 years.  If I'm wrong tell me but isn't that the most logical path to take at this point?  And if so, wouldn't the only FAs who fit that profile this offseason be one of either Randle, Brogdon, or (my preference) D'Lo?

I have respect for Vuce's game but he's been around or above a 20 PER player since his 2nd year in the league and it's just made no difference for his team (nevermind the fact that prior to this past season he had 2 years in a row where his DRtg was higher than his ORtg).

Someone talk some sense into me?

Losing Baynes does hurt...but you get the feeling that it was HIS choice to move on, especially if Horford is leaving as most think.

I think that there are still several more things that will happen before we know all the names in green this year.  Until then, I'm reserving judgement on tonight. 

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 02:03:34 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
The draft on paper looks darn good, and Vucevic is a far better fit and player than Baynes. It isn’t even close.

On June 30th, you’re in the mix for anybody and everybody. What’s there to be upset about ?

The draft is a crap shoot btw. You can’t get too hyped about anything for awhile. Just draft talent and let’s see how it develops.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 02:06:02 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Horford is on the back end of his career as a big. And Baynes will give you 6 games and sit out 11 games for every 17 games- simply unreliable.

Tough loss, but it's anticipated. Vuce will help big time. Ainge needs to get a starting point guard too. We're loaded at SG and especially SF.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 02:08:40 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I quite liked the draft. Langford is a classic Ainge choice who will probably be better than we expect.  Grant sounds like a guy we will all learn to love very quickly.

I don't really buy that the team will be in on Vooch.  He will either sign in Orlando or go to a team that isn't in a rebuilding phase.

Danny will either use that cap space to take on a bad contract or two and add more future picks or sign some high character veterans to one or two year deals, similar to what he did with Amir Johnson.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 02:20:11 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
Horford is on the back end of his career as a big. And Baynes will give you 6 games and sit out 11 games for every 17 games- simply unreliable.

Tough loss, but it's anticipated. Vuce will help big time. Ainge needs to get a starting point guard too. We're loaded at SG and especially SF.

Kemba, at the point. I think he (Ainge) loves this player and has since he came out.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 02:22:25 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Let's say we're in on Vucevic, and we bring back Rozier and give him the starting role.

Rozier/ Smart/ Langford/ Edwards (guards)
Brown/ Tatum/ Hayward/ Ojeleye (wings)
Vucevic/ Williams/ Williams/ Yabusele (bigs)

Not a ton of ball handlers, but keep in mind that Vucevic and Grant Williams are both excellent passing bigs.

I mean, it's interesting...

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 02:23:18 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
I quite liked the draft. Langford is a classic Ainge choice who will probably be better than we expect.  Grant sounds like a guy we will all learn to love very quickly.

I don't really buy that the team will be in on Vooch.  He will either sign in Orlando or go to a team that isn't in a rebuilding phase.

Danny will either use that cap space to take on a bad contract or two and add more future picks or sign some high character veterans to one or two year deals, similar to what he did with Amir Johnson.

I love the draft as well. Forget free agency for a minute. The first three picks tonight were all leaders and big time college players. Let’s see how they develop.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 02:26:19 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
Let's say we're in on Vucevic, and we bring back Rozier and give him the starting role.

Not a ton of ball handlers, but keep in mind that Vucevic and Grant Williams are both excellent passing bigs.

June 30th is going to be a big day. I think someone we have no clue about will be added to that list of yours right there. Now that’s even more interesting.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 02:47:51 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Drafted tons of versatile 1to4 players because the writing is on the wall.. Rozier will be let go and going into this season we might have to let Smart run the PG duties with GH at point forward.
These players we drafted will be coming off the bench anyways because if your not drafting a top 5 PG.. He ain't starting.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 02:49:22 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I might not be thinking straight but I’d hate going “all in” on Vucevic. Maybe his game has evolved from when I last saw him but how good is he really? Like a substandard Al Horford (aka a real Average Al)?

I’d rather we land a role player with a couple of real elite skills than an average all arounder.
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 07:44:38 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I loved the night.  Romeo, if he doesn't get hurt, is probably a top 10 draft pick, if not top 5.  Now, time to move on and get the big to replace Baynes and Al, and that is Vuc, who averaged almost 21/12/4.  If the report is right, Orlando wants to do a deal with the C's, probably a S+T.  I say, a dual S+T with them Rozier going and Vuc coming.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 07:52:01 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I am pro Vucevic. He’s underrated by most in here. He’s not the defender all is but he’s a much better and well rounded offensive player. Most importantly, he’d be a good fit in this system. He can provide the best interior scoring option they have had in a long time.

Honesty not concerned about PG. I think they are going to go with more point Hayward this year.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 07:55:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I am pro Vucevic. He’s underrated by most in here. He’s not the defender all is but he’s a much better and well rounded offensive player. Most importantly, he’d be a good fit in this system. He can provide the best interior scoring option they have had in a long time.

Honesty not concerned about PG. I think they are going to go with more point Hayward this year.

I suspect they’ll bring Rozier back.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes