Author Topic: Report: Teams at top of draft asking about Brown trade  (Read 5300 times)

Report: Teams at top of draft asking about Brown trade
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:45:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841849-celtics-trade-rumors-teams-at-top-of-nba-draft-inquiring-about-jaylen-brown

With the Boston Celtics potentially losing some of their key free agents, teams are apparently trying to pick off more players from the rotation.

According to Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe, a few teams at the top of the draft have inquired about the availability of Jaylen Brown.

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN previously reported Brown was part of negotiations for Anthony Davis along with Jayson Tatum and Marcus Smart before the New Orleans Pelicans agreed to a deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

However, it's not yet known whether the Celtics would offer up the young guard.

Brown spent most of his time coming off the bench last season and lost out on playing time to Gordon Hayward at times, but he still averaged 13.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.

This came after he averaged 14.5 points per game in 2017-18, starting all 70 regular-season games he played. He averaged 18.0 points per game during the squad's playoff run to the Eastern Conference Finals that year while Kyrie Irving was out.

Shams Charania of Stadium and The Athletic recently reported both Irving and Al Horford could be headed elsewhere as free agents this offseason, which could push Brown once again into a bigger role.

On the other hand, he has one more year under his rookie contract and he could demand a high salary in his next deal.

Boston can potentially deal away a promising player before he hits the open market while adding more young talent to the rotation. The organization already has three first-round picks in Thursday's draft, but none higher than No. 14.

Meanwhile, another team could see Brown's upside and bet on him instead of an unknown in this draft.

Didn’t see this posted anywhere, so figured I’d post it.

Not too up to date on the top prospects in this draft, but I’m not sure that I’d trade Brown for anyone other than Zion in this draft. Maybe Morant?

Re: Report: Teams at top of draft asking about Brown trade
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 08:51:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd trade Brown for a top 2 pick (Zion or Morant), but I don't know whether I'd do it for Barrett. I feel like Barrett will just be a lesser Hayward-type to begin with.

I can't imagine Memphis move their #2 pick, especially when they have the chance to pair JJJ with Morant.
Do we think New Orleans is asking after Brown?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 08:55:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
It is a deal. Give me the #1 or #2 pick and I'll give 'em Brown!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Give us #1

His ceiling is Michael jordan without the passing or midrange game but with a better 3 lol

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Well, they can always ask.  I just don't see a yes coming in return without more added to an offer. 

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That teams at the top of the draft are targeting Brown only confirms everything I have thought about this draft. Those teams obviously believe Brown, as currently stands, is better than anyone's ceiling they could draft. This is a crap draft. Don't trade Brown for anyone other than Zion, and we all know that isn't happening.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:03:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
That teams at the top of the draft are targeting Brown only confirms everything I have thought about this draft. Those teams obviously believe Brown, as currently stands, is better than anyone's ceiling they could draft. This is a crap draft. Don't trade Brown for anyone other than Zion, and we all know that isn't happening.
or they see the Celtics might blow it up and want the cream of the crop

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

this 100%.   keep brown.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 09:10:11 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If NLOA does want Brown for Zion(not sure why, but lets go with this) if we renounce everyone can we absorb Holidays contract witch some added players like Yabu?

Could be a way to get out of Holidays contract, if it wasn't to take back contract I doubt NOLO would give the first pick for Brown, probably the 4th, which would be a no go.

But it's funny this is coming out with Browns instagram post earlier.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 09:14:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No, it's because it's a crap draft. Teams at the top of the draft seldom go looking to trade those picks unless it's to pick up an established player they think is much better than what they could get in the draft.

GMs get locked into players in the top of the draft and usually way overvalue the pick. It's great to be able to do so because those GMs are usually GMs of terrible teams and can sell the fanbase on the potential of their shiny new rookie.

Do you think the Knicks, the Pelicans or Cavs would have an easier time selling to their fans and team a brand new rookie with supposed loads of upside or Jaylen Brown, who if you look at his entire third season may have stagnated or regressed?

The answer is very easy. They keep the pick if that player has loads of upside. But, if all the players in that area are believed to have a lower ceiling than Brown's current play level or Brown's upside, they are going to trade that pick.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 09:16:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If NLOA does want Brown for Zion(not sure why, but lets go with this) if we renounce everyone can we absorb Holidays contract witch some added players like Yabu?

Could be a way to get out of Holidays contract, if it wasn't to take back contract I doubt NOLO would give the first pick for Brown, probably the 4th, which would be a no go.

But it's funny this is coming out with Browns instagram post earlier.
Zion is untouchable.  If NOLA wants to trade Holiday's contract, they will get plenty of good offers for him. 

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
No, it's because it's a crap draft. Teams at the top of the draft seldom go looking to trade those picks unless it's to pick up an established player they think is much better than what they could get in the draft.

GMs get locked into players in the top of the draft and usually way overvalue the pick. It's great to be able to do so because those GMs are usually GMs of terrible teams and can sell the fanbase on the potential of their shiny new rookie.

Do you think the Knicks, the Pelicans or Cavs would have an easier time selling to their fans and team a brand new rookie with supposed loads of upside or Jaylen Brown, who if you look at his entire third season may have stagnated or regressed?

The answer is very easy. They keep the pick if that player has loads of upside. But, if all the players in that area are believed to have a lower ceiling than Brown's current play level or Brown's upside, they are going to trade that pick.
Calling it a crap draft before any of them have taken a step on an NBA court is absolutely ridiculous. No one knows how good this draft is gonna be, no matter what anyone says.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, I can only believe it's teams outside of the top two, like New Orleans, Cleveland and maybe New York who are asking about Brown.

Like I've said before, I think this draft is deep with future serviceable players. However, I see Brown as a potential All-Star. The drop off in talent from 6-16 is really quite remarkably insignificant.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Calling it a crap draft before any of them have taken a step on an NBA court is absolutely ridiculous. No one knows how good this draft is gonna be, no matter what anyone says.

Well, this draft has crap trade value is a better description.   There could always be surprises.

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 09:24:10 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Well, this draft has crap trade value is a better description.   There could always be surprises.
That's fair. But, then again, how many times have teams made major mistakes by undervaluing draft picks like that?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum