Author Topic: Surely the best use of the expected 27M is D'Angelo Russell  (Read 5249 times)

Re: Surely the best use of the expected 27M is D'Angelo Russell
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 11:23:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Russell is an amazing fit with everyone

And I bet he gets better.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 11:27:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, at least with DeAngelo we'd be guaranteed the same results as his BKN team last year - especially with Big Al and Kyrie's potential departures.

First round playoff fodder....a nice green salad for a higher seed to feast on.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 11:28:28 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
a 6 seed perhaps- and a rising young team with a future together, who are fun to watch

I'd much, much, much rather watch a bunch of jerks who have a chance at a championship than a feel-good underdog story who are a lock to be an early playoff exit.

For a fanbase that claims to care about winning, it's weird to me that people are so amped to be back at square one.

Do we have a choice? :o

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 11:40:20 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
a 6 seed perhaps- and a rising young team with a future together, who are fun to watch

I'd much, much, much rather watch a bunch of jerks who have a chance at a championship than a feel-good underdog story who are a lock to be an early playoff exit.

For a fanbase that claims to care about winning, it's weird to me that people are so amped to be back at square one.
I mean the offseason is a failure,  no doubt.

We lost Irving and Horford and obviously didn’t get Davis.

Last summer we looked set up for an extended period of contention, now we are far from that.

However, I don’t see the problem with taking a breath and saying “ok where do we go from here?”

Things aren’t so gloomy. We have 3 first rounders and a good deal of cap space. I don’t love Russell, but he’s a good young player who addresses a need and fits the Jays timeline.

Russel, Brown, Tatum have an average age of 22 and all have showcased all star level potential. That’s not an awful core. we have serious big man issues but I don’t see the problem with having some optimism about a fun young core with real potential.

As many have said, I’d rather watch a bunch of jerks with championship potential, but I’d rather watch a bunch if likeable 21-25 year olds battle it out and grab the 6 seed and a first round out than whatever it is we saw this year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 11:46:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Simply due to the timeline, I tend to agree. People are talking about spending $25 million on Brogdon? At least take a chance on a guy who could be an All-Star.

I am also catatonic after the Horford news. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I have to defend my guy here for a bit.

D'Angelo Russell is a terrific young player, but he can't defend, and we've been thru a scenario in which our PG is ball dominant, and that didn't work.

Malcolm Brogdon doesn't have the all-star potential as Russell does, but he's a better fit, he's a better defender, he's more efficient as a shooter, and he doesn't prevent Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown to be the main guys on offense.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 11:48:53 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Russell was a great player at OSU. Played team ball and was a real leader as a freshman for Matta.

I think he would be Kyrie minus all the on and off the court BS.

Kyrie is a malcontent. Moody and a pain in the ass. Russell is not.

Under Stevens he could be a real asset.

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 11:51:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Simply due to the timeline, I tend to agree. People are talking about spending $25 million on Brogdon? At least take a chance on a guy who could be an All-Star.

I am also catatonic after the Horford news. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

D'Angelo Russell is a terrific young player, but he can't defend, and we've been thru a scenario in which our PG is ball dominant, and that didn't work.

Malcolm Brogdon doesn't have the all-star potential as Russell does, but he's a better fit, he's a better defender, he's more efficient as a shooter, and he doesn't prevent Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown to be the main guys on offense.

So.... you want to max a player so that he can basically be a role player? Because that's what it's going to take to pry Brogdon away from Milwaukee. And even then, they still might match the offer if it means keeping Giannis happy.

If we're going to spend that cap in FA (which i'm skeptical of) spend it on the young guy who's already been an All Star and expect the Jays to grow & adapt their games for a change.

Didn't he just get busted for marijuana possession at an airport?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 11:54:09 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
this was pointed out by another poster in an earlier thread. if kyrie irritated you with his style of play and ego-centric play, brace yourselves.

russell is a far worse defender to start with. that will drive many of us crazy. at least kyrie tried ...most times. the same is not true for russell.

as i recall from that post, kyrie is a more efficient scorer than russell. it takes russell more shots to get his points. too many mid range shots for him. not enough free throws for a player of his talents. and articles i read say he is not good at finishing at the rim.

advanced stats hate him.

he also turns the ball over more than kyrie, to the tune of 3.1 times a game for the past two seasons. he doesnt make as many good decisions as he should.

finally, he is not consistent in the level of effort he gives.

yes, he is talented. yes, he can score. yes, he is a good player. but he is below kyrie and has a lot more warts. i dont want the celtics hitching their wagon to such a player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 11:55:24 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC

So.... you want to max a player so that he can basically be a role player? Because that's what it's going to take to pry Brogdon away from Milwaukee. And even then, they still might match the offer if it means keeping Giannis happy.

If we're going to spend that cap in FA (which i'm skeptical of) spend it on the young guy who's already been an All Star and expect the Jays to grow & adapt their games for a change.

Yes. But do you know how many guys in the NBA smoke weed?

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 11:56:19 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Yep, it’s Russell. I can’t imagine a better way to spend 27m.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 11:59:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yes. But do you know how many guys in the NBA smoke weed?

Yeah and that just means he's extra stupid to get busted with it.

And let's not forget that he did have issues in the Lakers locker room.

I don't mind DLo given the situation we're in - I'd take him over Terry Rozier in a nanosecond - but let's not do the revisionist history thing.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 12:00:08 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Don't call me Surely.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 12:01:54 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

He won't be a role player, he will be our starting PG.

The dude put up 15-4-3 on 28 minutes per game, shooting 50-40-90 splits. He led the league in FT%, is in the top 10 in 3PT%, and in the top 20 in EFG% and Offensive Rating. With an extended role and more minutes, it's not impossible to see a 20-5-5 guy, bordering Jrue Holiday's production. And he gives you a better fit with Tatum and Brown, and with better defense.

And if the Bucks match it, then all for it. It puts them in the tax line, or close, limiting them to either spend more money, or try to build the rest of their roster with minimum deals.

You get a very good player, and you help peg down Milwaukee a notch. Sure, it's an overpay, but will be well worth it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:12 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I'd do it and go full youth movement. Sign Russel to the max. Trade Hayward, Baynes, #20, 2020 MEM 1st to ORL for Gordon, Mozgov, #46. Sign Looney to a 2 year MLE.

Russel/Brown/Tatum/Gordon/Looney
Smart/Langford (#14)/Jared Dudley (vet min)/Ojeleye/Williams
Dozier/Hunter/Windler (#22)/Schofield (#46)

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 12:41:07 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
I'd do it and go full youth movement. Sign Russel to the max. Trade Hayward, Baynes, #20, 2020 MEM 1st to ORL for Gordon, Mozgov, #46. Sign Looney to a 2 year MLE.

Russel/Brown/Tatum/Gordon/Looney
Smart/Langford (#14)/Jared Dudley (vet min)/Ojeleye/Williams
Dozier/Hunter/Windler (#22)/Schofield (#46)

lol, he's getting more than that