Author Topic: Offer Malcolm Brogdon the max contract!  (Read 9227 times)

Re: Offer Malcolm Brogdon the max contract!
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
why?

EXACTLY.

With Big Al possibly leaving AND Kyrie's probable leaving why saddle Malcolm with a probable Lottery Team?

I absolutely LOVE Brogdon but I wouldn't want to be in BOS with the possible departures.

Bring back Big Al? Kyrie? SURE - sign him. But if these two leave?

Why sign Brogdon? Can he play point?

I would want NO PART of BOS the way things are looking.

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 11:18:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Vastly overpaying players who aren't worth it is how a team gets itself trapped in a cycle of mediocrity. Terrible idea. Robs flexibility if a star becomes available.

Just for comparison.

Jrue Holiday career Per 36.

16.9 points, 4.2 rebounds, 6.9 assists, 1.6 steals, 45 - 35 - 78 splits.

Malcolm Brogdon career Per 36.

16.4 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 1.6 steals, 48 - 40 - 89 splits.

They look like pretty similar players.

Jrue Holiday will make around $26 million this year, that will be around what Malcolm Brogdon's max will be at the start.

I guess it boils down to how we percieve Brogdon as a player. Maybe he's just a role player to some, I see a quality starting PG in him. Yeah, a bit of an overpay, but to get him, and take him away from the Bucks, I think it's worth paying a little bit more.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2019, 11:21:23 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
why?

EXACTLY.

With Big Al possibly leaving AND Kyrie's probable leaving why saddle Malcolm with a probable Lottery Team?

I absolutely LOVE Brogdon but I wouldn't want to be in BOS with the possible departures.

I think the idea of getting a big time FA with that slot is going to be tough like you said. Do not see anyone out there willing to commit to Boston right now. It is a mess.

Think it will be a lot of one or two year deals with second and third tier players just to fill out a roster.

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 11:24:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
why?

EXACTLY.

Oh yes he can.

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
horrible idea that would saddle us with an albatross contract.

remember when the lakers signed Mozgov to a 4 year/64 million dollar deal and then had to PAY to unload that contract?

Brogdan would be even worse/more impossible to get rid of because max deal.

Hell to the no!

This smells of desperation.  I'd rather sign a hobbled Cousins to a 1 year nonguaranteed for 25m than pay Brogdan max dollars for 4 years.  PS I don't want Cousins in his current injury condition.

What free agents are out there?  Durant - suffered serious injury.  Would we revisit or is he hellbent on New York?

HOnestly?  Push for Kawhi Leonard.  He's a proven champion.  If he doesn't return to Toronto or goto the Clippers/Lakers what other team can offer him a better platform to contend?

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
why?

EXACTLY.

I think the idea of getting a big time FA with that slot is going to be tough like you said. Do not see anyone out there willing to commit to Boston right now. It is a mess.

Think it will be a lot of one or two year deals with second and third tier players just to fill out a roster.

You left out the HOT part.

As much as I love The Boston Celtics we are potentially becoming the love child of a train wreck and dumpster fire.

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
horrible idea that would saddle us with an albatross contract.

remember when the lakers signed Mozgov to a 4 year/64 million dollar deal and then had to PAY to unload that contract?

Brogdan would be even worse/more impossible to get rid of because max deal.

Hell to the no!

This smells of desperation.  I'd rather sign a hobbled Cousins to a 1 year nonguaranteed for 25m than pay Brogdan max dollars for 4 years.  PS I don't want Cousins in his current injury condition.

What free agents are out there?  Durant - suffered serious injury.  Would we revisit or is he hellbent on New York?

HOnestly?  Push for Kawhi Leonard.  He's a proven champion.  If he doesn't return to Toronto or goto the Clippers/Lakers what other team can offer him a better platform to contend?

How? Malcom Brogdon's max contract will be 4 years / $117 million. Is it really that crippling of a contract to carry? And he will carry that until he's 30, so for the duration of that contract, he's in his prime.

He's not Mozgov. He averaged 15 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists on 50-40-90 shooting playing 28 minutes a game last season. He led the league in FT%, and is in the top 10 in 3PT% and top 20 in Offensive Rating and EFG%. With an extended role, and more minutes, it's not hard to project him as a 20-5-5 guy with great efficiency, versatility, and defense.

I think it's unfair to compare a player like Brogdon to a stiff like Timofey Mozgov. Brogdon is good.

Yeah, it's a bit of an overpay, but we are getting a very good player in him, and we take him away from our competition. I think it's worth the little more money we spend on him.

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 12:23:51 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Why does it seem like everyone is treating Marcus Smart as strictly a back up? I've read we need to sign Terry Rozier to be our starting PG. This topic is about giving a max contract to Malcolm Brogdon. Am I the only person that thinks Smart can be a serviceable starting PG? I'd rather use the cap room to improve the front court, which is by far the Celtics biggest weakness right now.

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 12:26:34 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Why does it seem like everyone is treating Marcus Smart as strictly a back up? I've read we need to sign Terry Rozier to be our starting PG. This topic is about giving a max contract to Malcolm Brogdon. Am I the only person that thinks Smart can be a serviceable starting PG? I'd rather use the cap room to improve the front court, which is by far the Celtics biggest weakness right now.

1. Which front court player is available that fits our rebuilding timeline? We either would have to trade for one (would cost assets), or sign somebody that by the time Brown and Tatum reaches their primes, will be on the older side.

2. I would love for Marcus Smart to be the starting PG, but his shooting makes it hard for me to look at him as such.

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 12:38:23 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

1. Which front court player is available that fits our rebuilding timeline? We either would have to trade for one (would cost assets), or sign somebody that by the time Brown and Tatum reaches their primes, will be on the older side.

2. I would love for Marcus Smart to be the starting PG, but his shooting makes it hard for me to look at him as such.

There is no reason to ruin cap flexibility for 2020, by throwing max money for a serviceable, at best, player like Brogdon. If the Celtics have cap room for next season, there is Davis, Drummond and Porzingis. For all we know, Davis could end up hating his experience in LA and playing with LeBron.

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 06:07:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think the Lakers should offer Brogdon the max.

I am open to a team like LAL paying Brogdon that type of money because they already have Anthony Davis and LeBron James on board. Two of the most talented players & high usage offensive players in the league. They can afford to overpay a low usage brilliant efficiency strong defensive glue guy.

Boston are not in the same boat. They do not have a LeBron James. They do not have an Anthony Davis.

They only have a Tatum and Jaylen.

I don't think the C's can afford to overpay a glue guy like Brogdon. They need to keep that cap flexibility to find a star player sometime down the road.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 06:28:54 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Right now, we are desperately hurting in the front court. I’d like to see us focus there.

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 06:29:44 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Vastly overpaying players who aren't worth it is how a team gets itself trapped in a cycle of mediocrity. Terrible idea. Robs flexibility if a star becomes available.

Just for comparison.

Jrue Holiday career Per 36.

16.9 points, 4.2 rebounds, 6.9 assists, 1.6 steals, 45 - 35 - 78 splits.

Malcolm Brogdon career Per 36.

16.4 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 1.6 steals, 48 - 40 - 89 splits.

They look like pretty similar players.

Jrue Holiday will make around $26 million this year, that will be around what Malcolm Brogdon's max will be at the start.

I guess it boils down to how we percieve Brogdon as a player. Maybe he's just a role player to some, I see a quality starting PG in him. Yeah, a bit of an overpay, but to get him, and take him away from the Bucks, I think it's worth paying a little bit more.

Nba execs figure his next contract will be 4/60.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briansampson/2019/04/17/malcolm-brogdon-has-money-on-the-line-this-postseason/

Lakers etc will not offer brogdon 26 mill when all reports indicate that 15 mill is his value and 18 -19 mill is the number bucks will not match.

https://www.brewhoop.com/2019/2/20/18229673/time-is-money-looking-at-the-milwaukee-bucks-summer-of-2019-nba-draft-free-agency-salary-cap-cba

Lakers, nyk, bucks, clippers

They are looking at
Kawhi
Durant
Klay
Cousins
Kemba
Butler
Harris

Not brogdon.

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 06:34:33 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Point guard will get addressed first, imo, as it potentially opens more options for front court help.

For example
 Offer kemba the MAX. Should he accept, it opens door forba sign and trade of someone the Jordan wanted on his team. Hayward.

Then team still has max space to go after front court help (cousins and randle)

Or if Brogdon signs at 22, you offer smart in a sign and trade to the bucks saving 12 mill leaving you with north of 25 in capspace.

Pg will be the first domino imo.

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 06:39:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Point guard will get addressed first, imo, as it potentially opens more options for front court help.

For example
 Offer kemba the MAX. Should he accept, it opens door forba sign and trade of someone the Jordan wanted on his team. Hayward.

Then team still has max space to go after front court help (cousins and randle)

Or if Brogdon signs at 22, you offer smart in a sign and trade to the bucks saving 12 mill leaving you with north of 25 in capspace.

Pg will be the first domino imo.

I don't want Kemba. It'll be nice to get away from these score first PGs like Isaiah and Kyrie.

I also think Kemba will have similar fit issues with Tatum and Jaylen that Kyrie had.