Would u make the trade

Yes
5 (8.8%)
No
51 (89.5%)
Yes, with One first instead.
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Poll: Horford+Rozier, Two firsts for Drummond  (Read 4939 times)

Re: Poll: Horford+Rozier, Two firsts for Drummond
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 04:26:09 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
If you pointed a gun to my head, and I had to take him...I'd say no.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 06:25:24 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Honestly, I love that the OP is thinking outside the box.  I voted no because of how critical I think Horford will be offensively come playoff time, but there's ALWAYS an argument to be made for a Drummond/Deandre Jordan/Dennis Rodman type shotblocker and rebounder in the post.

I think ironically what the Celtics need more than anything is to just use Al Horford correctly.  On nights when the team is just clanging threes and not able to drive the ball it's ok to rely on the guy who is money scoring and passing from inside the arc...   

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
RPG volume isn't all that. Look at Brook Lopez, his teams rebound better when he's on the floor despite his low individual career RPG for his position.

Okay but who's a better rebounder Al Horford or Andre Drummond.

Nobody is saying that Horford is the better rebounder. We're saying that Horford is (by far) the better player.  Being the better rebounder does not make you the better player if you are significantly worse in every other aspect of the game
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 07:57:03 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Grass is always greener.

I do like this trade for Detroit though. I think this makes them 6th in the East and possibly fighting with Indiana for 5th.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Not only no - but HECK no.

Big Al can shoot from deep, is a great facilitator for a big and is our defensive anchor.

He has played well and proven himself in crunch time in the playoffs last year - vs the likes of Giannis and Embiid.

Embiid has NO Real Estate in Big Al's head.

Big Al Horford is overall a better player and I'm glad he's on our team.

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Poor Al.  Forever underrated.

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2018, 08:30:09 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would not trade Horford for Drummond straight up, never mind adding Rozier and two 1sts

You're greatly underestimating Horford's impact on both ends of the floor for this team. His outside shooting and passing skills, along with his leadership and defense are huge for us.

No I don't..he's a great role player at this point. 10.4 RPG in his prime. Guess when that was. When he was 26 years old. What is he avg now? 6.4 RPG.

This is just plain old lazy and incorrect statistical reference in order to try to prove your point. Horford was not in his prime during the 12-13 season, the season you’re referencing in your argument. In fact, he didn’t even make the all-star team. Regardless here are things you failed to extrapolate from his stats:

MPG
During the 12-13 season he played a career high 37.2 mpg, last year (I used last season as a reference since it provides a full year’s worth of data) he averaged 31.6 mpg. So while the raw stats show you’re correct and the 12-13 Horford was a better rebounder than last year 10.2 rpg to 7.4 rpg, what happens when those minutes are similar? Lucky for us there are per 36 stats and that immediately reduces the gap to just a 1.5 rpg differential - 9.9 to 8.4.

3PG & ORB
So I guess you’re right and Horford’s rebounding has diminished, right? Wrong! What you also failed to consider is that Horford is now a 3pt shooter and as result he’s playing much further from the rim, so thinking logically it’s likely his offensive rebound numbers suffer. Last season he had 226 3pt attempts, while just 6 during the 12-13 season. As a result, his per 36 of 2.5 offensive rebounds per game (ORB) were better during the 12-13 season, 2.5 to 1.6.

Conclusion
However, when you remove the ORB from the stats to account for the difference in his new perimeter oriented style, do you know the difference is between “peak” 12-13 Horford and last year’s all-star version? 0.5 rpg! That’s it! 7.3 defensive rebounds per game to 6.8. So let’s ease up the false narrative you’re using to try to help your weak argument.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:37:10 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Poor Al.  Forever underrated.

one guy proposes a not very smart trade idea AH and about 20 dismissed the it without second thought

I"d say Horford is very well respected

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Trading for someone Embiid routinely dominates isn't a good idea.  At least you didn't suggest Whiteside. 

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Trading for someone Embiid routinely dominates isn't a good idea.  At least you didn't suggest Whiteside.

This is a great point, seeing as we will likely be facing Embiid in the playoffs for the next few years. On this basis alone, it may be a good idea to say no.

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'd rather trade for KAT and keep Horford in the process.

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Who fits better in BS's style of play?

Drummond is an old school 5. He is very good at it but in the playoffs he will be useless. Taking him out of the paint and he is lost. Old as he may be Horford did much better job against Embiid that Drummond. And let's not talk about teams without real center like GS.

Baynes Guards Embiid much better than Horford. Plus Baynes can shoot the 3 if needed for spacing.

Your overrating stylyof play IMO. Drummond is much better he's 7 years younger.

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i think C's might have won the game , if Al was playing healthy . Too many game played  in aweek in the first place

people trying to throw Al under the bus and the dude is sitting on the bench hurt unable to contribute.

wow...SMH

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 11:36:20 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I love how this trade idea is not one, but TWO firsts.

LOL in that case, throw in Jaylen or Tatum, add 2 more 1st rounders and offer it for AD in the summer. Pelicans may still say "no" but that's a better offer on our end than this one for Drummond
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Horford just brings way too much to the table. Drummond is a guy who is really good at what he does best, which is rebound, but he’s a fairly limited player outside of that. Horford literally does everything on the floor: he can pass, shoot, and defend both individually and as a help defender. On a team like this you need a jack of all trades guy like Al, who can be effective on both ends without getting a ton of shots. Even to drastically improve in rebounding wouldn’t be worth it based on everything else we would lose going from Horford to Drummond.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler