Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Patriots / Football / Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Last post by tazzmaniac on Yesterday at 10:27:07 PM »
I think it would be hard to quantify what a hit or bust is.

For example, if MHJ averages say 750 yards a year for the next 7 or 8 years, is he a bust? No of course not. I just wouldn't call that a hit either.

Going by the contract also seems silly.

What do people think the chances are that MHJ turns out to be a bust? I’d probably go with about 10%. This is why I hope the Pats take him at 3. Drake Maye on the other hand seems like he has 75% chance of being a bust. Obviously both are positions of need, but MHJ seems about as close to a sure thing as you can get.
There is no way Maye is at 75% to bust. More like 20%. Daniels is far more likely to bust based on college, his fast huge rise, etc.  Maye has been projected as a very high pick for multiple seasons. Those guys bust at a mich lower frequency.

No way is Maye only a 20% chance to bust. He regressed this season. I don’t think any of the QB’s in this draft are close to being a lock.
Depends on how you define bust and what the other options are.  If he hangs around the league as backup for 10 seasons, that certainly isn't what you want from a top pick but I wouldn't call it a bust.

If a top-3 pick turns into a career backup, I'd call him a bust.
Then don't reach for QBs or anyone for that matter.  Maye isn't a top-3 talent in this draft and he certainly isn't top 3 in chance of having a successful career. 

Edit - Maye did little in his college career to inspire confidence in his NFL potential.  Against a pretty weak ACC schedule his performance in the tougher games should raise concerns.  Now maybe he just needs a couple more years of development but is he going to get that as a top-3 pick? 
Game Threads / Re: Heat (0-1) at Celtics (1-0) Round 1 Game #2 4/24/24
« Last post by SparzWizard on Yesterday at 10:26:26 PM »
Wish we had Coach Spo. He ran circles around Joe Schmoe.
I’m just frustrated. Don’t know who to blame
Around the NBA / Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Last post by hpantazo on Yesterday at 10:24:25 PM »
OKC taking care of business at home so far tonight like a legit #1 seed.
Around the NBA / Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Last post by celticsclay on Yesterday at 10:21:07 PM »
I hope the Lakers beat the Nuggets as the Nuggets are the only team in the sport I'd favor against the Celtics. It will not happen, but it sure would be nice.

We all know why you want the lakers to win and it isn’t this lol. I appreciate it though got a badly needed chuckle when I was feeling completely miserable so tp.
« Last post by tazzmaniac on Yesterday at 10:20:27 PM »
Well s***, if the other team shoots 54% from three on high volume then you're gonna lose.  That just is what it is.

Onto the next one.

Most optimistic take. Thanks. Yeah, 23-43 is difficult to defeat, especially when you are shooting a pedestrian 12-32.   33 point differential.  The downside of the take is -- they had way too many good looks.

This is the most important point, though. It wasn't like they were hitting super contested, difficult threes. We were gift wrapping them wide open threes of the PnR because of a poor defensive gameplan and lack of adjustments.

You can't claim a fluke when you're giving them wide open threes. They're still professional basketball players on a team that is known for three point shooting.
They're not going to shoot that well from 3 in three more games.  If they had gone 19-43, they would have shot an excellent 44% but lost the game.

Very unlikely, but the difference is Spo will continue to adjust to get the most out of his inferior roster. The same simply cannot be said about Joe, who demonstrated complete futility when it came to making any kind of adjustment tonight.
In a 7-game series, a significant talent advantage almost always wins out regardless of coaching.  The Celts shot well from 3 and they took the ball to the basket a bunch.  Besides the Heat's unsustainable shooting, Porzingis had a really bad night.  Now Jaylen's freethrow shooting might cost us in a close game.  Spo might just try a hack-a-Shaw on him. 
I'm asking a Yes/No question to this entire forum: Are these issues the same as the last 8 years?

Because honestly, I feel they are. And that was even with Ime/Stevens. Also, the team has guys like JVG, Cassell, etc. as assistant coaches and advisors. At some point I start to look at the players more. A ton of reliance on the 3. Players becoming soft and mentally weak. Some terrible lapses in-game.

Mazzulla deserves some blame but I think blaming primarily him is just missing the point frankly.

Jaylen Brown is a culprit. He's been here the longest. Time to ship him out! And take Joe with him.
I'm asking a Yes/No question to this entire forum: Are these issues the same as the last 8 years?

Because honestly, I feel they are. And that was even with Ime/Stevens. Also, the team has guys like JVG, Cassell, etc. as assistant coaches and advisors. At some point I start to look at the players more. A ton of reliance on the 3. Players becoming soft and mentally weak. Some terrible lapses in-game.

Mazzulla deserves some blame but I think blaming primarily him is just missing the point frankly.

I’m starting to think it has something to do with Tatum as the alpha. Maybe both Tatum/Brown.
Everyone’s wanted to blame Kyrie/hayward/kemba/marcus/all the coaches.
They’re all gone and it’s still the same things happening.

A shame what happened with Ime because at least he got us to the finals. And then the same ole problems reared their ugly head
Patriots / Football / Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Last post by Roy H. on Yesterday at 10:18:03 PM »
I think it would be hard to quantify what a hit or bust is.

For example, if MHJ averages say 750 yards a year for the next 7 or 8 years, is he a bust? No of course not. I just wouldn't call that a hit either.

Going by the contract also seems silly.

What do people think the chances are that MHJ turns out to be a bust? I’d probably go with about 10%. This is why I hope the Pats take him at 3. Drake Maye on the other hand seems like he has 75% chance of being a bust. Obviously both are positions of need, but MHJ seems about as close to a sure thing as you can get.
There is no way Maye is at 75% to bust. More like 20%. Daniels is far more likely to bust based on college, his fast huge rise, etc.  Maye has been projected as a very high pick for multiple seasons. Those guys bust at a mich lower frequency.

No way is Maye only a 20% chance to bust. He regressed this season. I don’t think any of the QB’s in this draft are close to being a lock.
Depends on how you define bust and what the other options are.  If he hangs around the league as backup for 10 seasons, that certainly isn't what you want from a top pick but I wouldn't call it a bust.

If a top-3 pick turns into a career backup, I'd call him a bust.
« Last post by SparzWizard on Yesterday at 10:17:02 PM »
This “historically good super team” just lost home court advantage in round 1 game 2 against the worst team in the playoffs without their best player.

They. Are. Frauds.

Same ole story

Let’s see how they respond in game 3. Still think they win in 5.

You have more confidence than me. The way that game just played out and tatums  disgusting body language has me shook. Miami has literally nothing to lose and this is a legacy defining playoff run for some of these Celtics. Lots of pressure. It’s not going to be a cake walk in Miami and I have no idea why anybody would think that or that the Heat are not going to play well again. I guarantee you the Heat will play well again.

We've actually done really well in Miami in recent years. Last two postseasons, a combined 5-2 there. That's not some "home court advantage" for them either, when the stadium is only like 50% filled  :P

Well the silver lining is we've won two straight in Miami in postseason games. Including 5 of the last 6 dating back to 2022. And the C's played pretty well on the road in the playoffs last two years, so let's see if that magic continues
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10