Who says 'no'?

Phoenix Suns
16 (29.6%)
Boston Celtics
34 (63%)
Both say 'yes'
4 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who says 'no': Gortat, Beasley and Tucker for Green and Bass  (Read 14838 times)

Re: Who says 'no': Gortat, Beasley and Tucker for Green and Bass
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I just say NO to Beasley ..PERIOD.... don't want him in any deal for anybody that land s him on the Celtics.

If we want Gortat (and I do), we have to eat Beasley. No Bradley, no Sully, they're gonna want us to eat Beasley.

Re: Who says 'no': Gortat, Beasley and Johnson for Green, Bass, and Melo
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 11:49:53 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Unless Fab's stock is really high, which I don't think it is, I really don't want to just throw him in to every trade as filler. We didn't take him because he was the sexiest player available. We would have taken PJ3 if that were the case.

I would probably consider Green/Bass for Gortat/Beasley plus any minor filler if necessary[Collins]. I really think that Phx is getting the better players, but we would be filling a need. I still think Beasley could excel in the right environment, but I am probably in the minority with that opinion.

Unfortunately, he needs to be in there in this trade due to the hard cap the Cs are up against, and the fact that they're taking more salary on here. See here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aybhpul

I also think Phoenix would want Melo in the deal. Green and Bass is reasonable, but risky, value in return for Gortat... even if we are taking Beasley.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Unless Fab's stock is really high, which I don't think it is, I really don't want to just throw him in to every trade as filler. We didn't take him because he was the sexiest player available. We would have taken PJ3 if that were the case.

I would probably consider Green/Bass for Gortat/Beasley plus any minor filler if necessary[Collins]. I really think that Phx is getting the better players, but we would be filling a need. I still think Beasley could excel in the right environment, but I am probably in the minority with that opinion.

Unfortunately, he needs to be in there in this trade due to the hard cap the Cs are up against, and the fact that they're taking more salary on here. See here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aybhpul

I also think Phoenix would want Melo in the deal. Green and Bass is reasonable, but risky, value in return for Gortat... even if we are taking Beasley.

That's what I was afraid of. I just don't like the prospect of sending out melo right now as just filler. Like I said, I just don't think that is why we brought him in here...we'll see, tough call for Ainger - if something like this is even on the table...

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Felt like bumping this thread. I still believe PHX is one our 2 / 3 most likely trading partners.

One adjustment: Tucker is the kind of find that tends to stand in the way of deals like this. The team who has him very rarely wants to give up that diamond in the rough, especially when they're rebuilding. With Bradley and Lee on the roster, I don't think he's key to this.

So I'd adjust as follows:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a8cpl7w

To Boston: Gortat, Beasley, Wes Johnson
To Phoenix: Green, Bass, Melo

I believe both teams would need to seriously consider this.

Playoff line-up: Gortat starts at the 5, and Garnett at the 4. Sully is 1st off the bench in the front court, with Collins or Wilcox getting some minutes as needed depending on match-up. The other one is our last ditch / safety net.

Johnson backs up Pierce to the tune of 12 minutes a night, assuming PP is going to play about 35-36 a night in the playoffs.

In the bits I've seen him play, Johnson's defense has impressed me. Basically, Pierce is going to play the bulk of minutes regardless -- if Green can be used as an asset to net a 5, I'm comfortable with the risk of a guy like Johnson as a slight defensive downgrade. Neither guy can stop LeBron anyway -- no one can. I envision him making 2 3s a game and playing some D.

Beasley is a wildcard back-up. If the 2nd unit simply cannot score, I'd insert him in spots. Probably mostly as a 4, particularly against smaller teams. Yes, he's a defensive liability. But i still think there's a place for a bench guy who can and will get his own shot every time he hits the floor. He's there as that 10th, 11th guy. You have to take luggage if you're going to dish some -- Beasley is that guy in this deal. 

OK, now tell me how bad this idea is, because...

I like this trade. I like Green, Bass, and Melo, but you have to give up value to get value, and I see Gortat filling a huge need for us. Plus, I see Bass as expendable with Sully in the fold, Pierce (like you said) is going to get the bulk of the SF minutes in the playoffs anyway, and this trade creates (if possible) even more flexibility for us: You start with Pierce, KG, and Gortat, then you have Sully as the primary backup 4, with Wilcox able to back up the 4 and the 5, and Beasley being able to back up the 3 and the 4, AND you still have Wesley Johnson as another backup 3 (not to mention that Courtney Lee can play spot minutes at the 3 in certain matchups). And we also still have our awesome guard rotation, but then we'd also have the required size in the middle.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Gortat would be important to get but beasley  :o  that makes a big no
green is very key to our teams success

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

One way to look at it... forget the filler for a moment: who is more essential to the Cs championship hopes in 2013 -- Gortat or Green?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I been involved with Suns players security for the last 7yrs. And if this makes any difference to any on Celtics blog, Gortat & Beasley has become best friends off the court as teammates this year. Clubs, dinner together frequently as best buds. If a trade happened where they were shipped together, I think they would love it! But what a weird pairing! Never saw those two hitting it off but they have.

*On another note the trade winds are swirling Big-Time amongst players as they talk about it quite often with each other. Friendly but uneasy locker room knowing major changes are about to go down. In my 7yrs I have never seen the Arena so empty, Fans think this team has no star power & the city is looking more towards the Mercury #1 pick & possibly Brittney Griner instead of the Suns. So look forward to the Suns trying to acquire a star. How idk but its the buzz!

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

One way to look at it... forget the filler for a moment: who is more essential to the Cs championship hopes in 2013 -- Gortat or Green?
hard question to answer, we need a big
paul pierce cannot guard lebron & carmelo in playoff series at his age, see last knicks game pp did a good job and green didn't let up at all on carmelo
terry looks more like the guy to move, we have had a lot of guys have slumps so far
green, pierce at the start of season, lee, bass
all those guys have looked much better terry still isn't doing much for us so if it was terry and bass i'd go all in
beasley looks like he needs to play on a lottery team to look any good at all

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

hard question to answer, we need a big
paul pierce cannot guard lebron & carmelo in playoff series at his age, see last knicks game pp did a good job and green didn't let up at all on carmelo
terry looks more like the guy to move, we have had a lot of guys have slumps so far
green, pierce at the start of season, lee, bass
all those guys have looked much better terry still isn't doing much for us so if it was terry and bass i'd go all in
beasley looks like he needs to play on a lottery team to look any good at all

if it's a toss up in your opinion, think minutes. Gortat is going to play far more. Pierce is the SF for this season's champ hopes.

meanwhile, interesting to see Gortat flying a hardcore flag for Stan Van Gundy on his twitter feed. hard to see SVG ending up there, but (to me) indicative of Gortat's discomfort with current magmt there......
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The suns say NO. Also i don't want Beasley sniffing a Celtics jersey let alone donning one.

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Since Beaz has negative value, the Suns would be wise to insist he be included in a Gortat trade.  The Green, Bass, Melo for Gortat, Beaz and filler trade works because it gets the Suns out from under Beaz's money, gives them a project center with a ton of upside, and gives them two solid rotation players right now at a reasonable cost.

I have a feeling that the Suns would want a first round pick in the deal.  Maybe Ainge can get a 2nd rounder back.

I'm not afraid of the Beaz on this team, although I've been a long time non-fan.  He's the cost of doing business when you're trying to get an affordable center and don't want to give up young rotation players.  Doc and Boston is as good a place as any to see if his talent can be harnessed.       

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Since Beaz has negative value, the Suns would be wise to insist he be included in a Gortat trade.  The Green, Bass, Melo for Gortat, Beaz and filler trade works because it gets the Suns out from under Beaz's money, gives them a project center with a ton of upside, and gives them two solid rotation players right now at a reasonable cost.

I have a feeling that the Suns would want a first round pick in the deal.  Maybe Ainge can get a 2nd rounder back.

I'm not afraid of the Beaz on this team, although I've been a long time non-fan.  He's the cost of doing business when you're trying to get an affordable center and don't want to give up young rotation players.  Doc and Boston is as good a place as any to see if his talent can be harnessed.     

Thanks. I think the pick exchange is splitting hairs, particularly in a weak draft (should those picks be this year). But it's usually the big pieces, not the little ones, that stand in the way of deals.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)