Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics refused to make Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans  (Read 20786 times)

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Un-effing-believable.

I've heard that Danny wanted to do this trade, but one of the owners blocked it. I swear, if we just missed out on AD because Pags wanted to keep his Duke boy who played with his son...

If this is true, Danny needs to come out and flat out say so. "I wanted to make the Davis trade, but the owners nixed it." Otherwise it's his head on the chopping block.

Danny gets paid the big bucks to make the hard decisions. If, after a 15 year tenure, he still can't put his foot down and draw a line in the sand, then what is he even good for? Otherwise were just at the whim and mercy of a non-basketball guy's ideas of how to run a successful basketball franchise.
[dang], can you provide a link for that?

Yes, please expand on this. Lol

Nah, I can't really provide a source for this. There's a supposed insider on the realgm forum who has broken a few trades before they happened, LarryBirdsFingr. People consider him credible, but there's no real source.

last post on the first page
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1853484

You can choose to believe it, or you can choose to believe the Deli guy, but the rumor is out there...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Un-effing-believable.

I've heard that Danny wanted to do this trade, but one of the owners blocked it. I swear, if we just missed out on AD because Pags wanted to keep his Duke boy who played with his son...

If this is true, Danny needs to come out and flat out say so. "I wanted to make the Davis trade, but the owners nixed it." Otherwise it's his head on the chopping block.

Danny gets paid the big bucks to make the hard decisions. If, after a 15 year tenure, he still can't put his foot down and draw a line in the sand, then what is he even good for? Otherwise were just at the whim and mercy of a non-basketball guy's ideas of how to run a successful basketball franchise.

Nah, I can't really provide a source for this. There's a supposed insider on the realgm forum who has broken a few trades before they happened, LarryBirdsFingr. People consider him credible, but there's no real source.

You can choose to believe it, or you can choose to believe the Deli guy, but the rumor is out there...

I have an inside source who, since January, was saying the Celtics really love Tatum, not just his talent but his attitude, work ethic and mindset, and there were discussions ongoing about handing over the keys to Tatum and letting Kyrie walk. A lot of the Celtics brass were fed up even back then with Kyrie and could not see him leading the team long term.

I didn't buy into what he was saying much back then, but looking back now, I believe it.

This source is a name most of you would recognize who worked for the Celtics and still has ties to them FWIW.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Un-effing-believable.

I have an inside source who, since January, was saying the Celtics really love Tatum, not just his talent but his attitude, work ethic and mindset, and there were discussions ongoing about handing over the keys to Tatum and letting Kyrie walk. A lot of the Celtics brass were fed up even back then with Kyrie and could not see him leading the team long term.

I didn't buy into what he was saying much back then, but looking back now, I believe it.

This source is a name most of you would recognize who worked for the Celtics and still has ties to them FWIW.

I just think Rich Paul saying AD would be a one-year rental killed the deal. If word didn't get out that Davis clearly wanted and would only sign with LA in free agency, Ainge would've made this deal. I'd like to hope no one in their right, sober mind would pass up trading Tatum for a talent like AD, if there was at least a 20% chance he could be convinced to stay in Boston.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Un-effing-believable.

Very interesting, but something doesn’t add up.  Ainge isn’t the type of GM to let an asset like Irving go for nothing.  He’s always trying to gain an upper hand in case anything else comes his way.   

So if management felt that way about Tatum then that made a Davis trade very unlikely to happen. So why not try to trade Irving at the deadline?  Maybe to drive up the price for the hated Lakers faking liking your interested in trading for Davis? Lol

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Un-effing-believable.

How do you guys get all of these inside sources lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Un-effing-believable.

Very interesting, but something doesn’t add up.  Ainge isn’t the type of GM to let an asset like Irving go for nothing.  He’s always trying to gain an upper hand in case anything else comes his way.   

So if management felt that way about Tatum then that made a Davis trade very unlikely to happen. So why not try to trade Irving at the deadline?  Maybe to drive up the price for the hated Lakers faking liking your interested in trading for Davis? Lol

Keeping Irving was the .... "I have to see the river card" 

but you missed on a flush

you can also say, you couldn't get back in return an equivalent talent anyways

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Un-effing-believable.

Yeah, it was just a random occurrence. The source frequents my cousin's place of business practically every day, and they became good friends, so he introduced him to me and this guy has basically no filter on his thoughts and inside info on the team. I keep most of this stuff out of the message boards and internet forums, etc though, but this one is harmless and has stuck in my mind with recent events. He kept insisting back in January that the organization really, really loves Tatum and he was adamant that they should ditch Kyrie and hand the keys over to Tatum. I thought it was crazy talk, but it looks plausible now.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Un-effing-believable.

Yeah, it was just a random occurrence. The source frequents my cousin's place of business practically every day, and they became good friends, so he introduced him to me and this guy has basically no filter on his thoughts and inside info on the team. I keep most of this stuff out of the message boards and internet forums, etc though, but this one is harmless and has stuck in my mind with recent events. He kept insisting back in January that the organization really, really loves Tatum and he was adamant that they should ditch Kyrie and hand the keys over to Tatum. I thought it was crazy talk, but it looks plausible now.
Holy cow that is sweet. TP for sharing. Wish I can someday talk to team officials of a team I support lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
If the Pelicans were asking for 5 unprotected first round picks, I wouldn't have put Tatum on the table, either.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Un-effing-believable.

I just think Rich Paul saying AD would be a one-year rental killed the deal. If word didn't get out that Davis clearly wanted and would only sign with LA in free agency, Ainge would've made this deal. I'd like to hope no one in their right, sober mind would pass up trading Tatum for a talent like AD, if there was at least a 20% chance he could be convinced to stay in Boston.

Ainge is a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them. He wasn't convinced that AD would re-sign after free agency, it's as simple as that. Tatum is a great prospect but you don't let him become a roadblock to an AD trade - unless you don't think AD will stay and so you would lose Tatum for a one year rental.

The AD trade was never a goer. The guy doesn't want to play here and with the powers of choice that superstars have in free agency in this league, plus the Rich Paul connection, it wasn't going to happen unless we got a discount on AD.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
One thing that should be over is people claiming the Celtics are "all about titles."

They chose a sustainable future with no clear path to contention over a single year of contention.

That's defensible but it means they have priorities other than just winning a title at any cost.

Nonsense.  They went for it with Hayward + Irving, and Hayward broke his leg, and Irving had surgery, and thus the plan did not work out.

I think that experience, plus what happened with KG's knee 9 years ago, shows them how much can go wrong with the "assemble superstars" strategy.

AD is a chronically injured player.  Are you willing to throw away your entire young coure for one season of that risk, particularly without Kyrie re-signing?

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Un-effing-believable.

Keeping Irving was the .... "I have to see the river card" 

but you missed on a flush

you can also say, you couldn't get back in return an equivalent talent anyways

Also, why would Ainge deal Kyrie at the deadline when the playoffs were around the corner.
at that time, we where kinda on the fence as to where Kyrie can lead this team in the POs...we found that out now but obviously in hindsight, you just do not trade a star at the deadline when you have the Playoffs coming up.

Its like saying Utah should have traded Hayward at the deadline in 2017 when they kinda knew GH wasn't returning. They let things play out and Utah was kinda decent still in the playoffs despite losing to GS in round 2.

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Well, pressure is on him to step up this year.

Can't be a glorified Rudy Gay like he was last season

Though tbh it's probably the lack of guarantees that did the spooking here
Why isn't there pressure on $30 million Hayward?

Never said there wasn't any on him either.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Well, pressure is on him to step up this year.

Can't be a glorified Rudy Gay like he was last season

Though tbh it's probably the lack of guarantees that did the spooking here
Why isn't there pressure on $30 million Hayward?

Never said there wasn't any on him either.

No excuse for Hayward next year. It's do or die for him. And I expect Utah Hayward performance if we wanna hang with the big boys in this league.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Un-effing-believable.

TP and neat story! It’s always cool when these things happen in real life.

On the topic of random occurrences and reliable legit sources, my uncle has a friend too who works at a pretty high position (not with the C’s, unfortunately) and used to be with the Kings. While he didn’t spill any thoughts on current players (like yours did with Tatum), he did share some stuff regarding IT4. Apparently, not the easiest guy to handle and had some major problems with boogie. Similar to Kyrie (assuming Irving is gone) I guess in that the brass didn’t think he was worth the locker room rift and so they shipped him off.

Fortunately for us, IT landed in our laps in a perfect situation where he could finally be the man and make the locker room all about him, rather than clashing with another strong personality. The whole personality “issue” makes sense too when you think about his stint with LeBrons Cavs. LeBron was able to keep that ship fairly steady (albeit unhappy) but it became a powder keg of selfishness and finger pointing when IT got there.

Never bothered sharing this before because he was mostly beloved by this board but figured I’d do it now since were campfire sharing haha
- LilRip