Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics refused to make Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans  (Read 20984 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Again, basketball is still a big man's game. Cs need bigs.

Big mans game? Who was the lasz big man mvp, finals mvp?

On a top 20 list, how many Pf, C?
I think you can acknowledge that most of the teams to win recently have had a solid big-man. Toronto had Gasol and Ibaka, GSW had Draymond/Bogut/Durant, San Antonio had Timmy, Miami had Bosh, Dallas had Dirk, LA had Pau and Bynum, we had KG, so on and so forth.

Interior defence is massively important. Even the contenders who haven't won a ring like Milwaukee, Philly, Denver and Houston all have good big-men.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
That’s a crazy package LAL is giving up for AD. Glad Ainge didn’t match that!
Reminds me of the Brk package which crippled their franchise. AD is younger so less risk but I can certainly see NO getting a lot of vlaue from it

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That’s a crazy package LAL is giving up for AD. Glad Ainge didn’t match that!
Reminds me of the Brk package which crippled their franchise. AD is younger so less risk but I can certainly see NO getting a lot of vlaue from it
Yeah, but LeBron is close to PP's age at the time. Plus, Jason Kidd is still involved ;D

I think this could turn out to be a disaster for LA. If they don't add some guards and guys who can defend they're in a world of trouble.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Again, basketball is still a big man's game. Cs need bigs.

On a top 20 list, how many Pf, C?

To be fair, KD is a 7 footer. Giannis too. Small ball isn’t what works. Having highly skilled players work. Augment that with length and you got something special.

Length < skill < length+skill

- LilRip

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
We still have a logjam at the wing. If we keep Tatum, i hope we trade Brown for a big then. I don’t think we can move Hayward.

Smart-Tatum-Hayward-Horford-Bigman

Pretty slow lineup though

The solution is to play Tatum at PF.

That way Tatum, Brown, and Hayward will be able to start.

There's no way Hayward would be happy if he still plays 26 minutes per game coming off the bench.

The solution is playing Tatum at power forward???

If that's the solution, then we are in trouble. One of Tatum or Hayward would have to be moved. I'd like to see us improve somehow, someway. At least lie to me and tell me we are going to be good next year.

Our original starting 5 post Hayward/irving acquisitions was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

You realize Tatum is only 6'8, right?

Just telling you what that starting lineup was.

Got it.

Don't forget though, the starting lineup on opening night in 2017 was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Baynes.

Hayward going down led to Tatum replacing him.

2017 opening night lineup was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Night 1, Cavs, for 5 minutes until Hayward injury. That was the starting lineup. Tatum at the 4.

Yes, and I didn't like it back then. I thought that line-up wouldn't work anyway. Too small and not enough defense.
It was far from a certainty, that even if Hayward hadn't gone injured, the Celtics would become a championship level team without another move. On the other hand in 2017 the East was so weak that we'd probably steamrolled into the NBA Finals with a healthy Irving and Hayward.

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
We still have a logjam at the wing. If we keep Tatum, i hope we trade Brown for a big then. I don’t think we can move Hayward.

Smart-Tatum-Hayward-Horford-Bigman

Pretty slow lineup though

The solution is to play Tatum at PF.

That way Tatum, Brown, and Hayward will be able to start.

There's no way Hayward would be happy if he still plays 26 minutes per game coming off the bench.

The solution is playing Tatum at power forward???

If that's the solution, then we are in trouble. One of Tatum or Hayward would have to be moved. I'd like to see us improve somehow, someway. At least lie to me and tell me we are going to be good next year.

Our original starting 5 post Hayward/irving acquisitions was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

You realize Tatum is only 6'8, right?

Just telling you what that starting lineup was.

Got it.

Don't forget though, the starting lineup on opening night in 2017 was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Baynes.

Hayward going down led to Tatum replacing him.

2017 opening night lineup was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Night 1, Cavs, for 5 minutes until Hayward injury. That was the starting lineup. Tatum at the 4.

Yes, and I didn't like it back then. I thought that line-up wouldn't work anyway. Too small and not enough defense.
It was far from a certainty, that even if Hayward hadn't gone injured, the Celtics would become a championship level team without another move. On the other hand in 2017 the East was so weak that we'd probably steamrolled into the NBA Finals with a healthy Irving and Hayward.

That year, in that east, and with a healthy Irving, yeah I think we would have made the finals.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Someone who might be available after this AD trade is Lonzo, I think it was rumoured earlier that he didn't want to play for Pelicans

Pass on the drama train, how could anyone want him after all the Kyrie drama.   I a looking forward to a team more about basketball than individuals and with his father that is not possible.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Someone who might be available after this AD trade is Lonzo, I think it was rumoured earlier that he didn't want to play for Pelicans

Pass on the drama train, how could anyone want him after all the Kyrie drama.   I a looking forward to a team more about basketball than individuals and with his father that is not possible.
The drama is his father not him.  By all accounts Lonzo was a great team player and his teammates all liked him.  If the distraction is not from the player it is easy to remove and ignore (and let's be clear we heard almost nothing from Lavar this year after James joined the team and made the team shut that crap down).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Kyrie will go down as one of the most useless and pointless Celtics ever. What did he accomplish here? He stunted the growth of Tatum and Brown. Hayward had no idea where he fit in and could not play with him. Helped turn the locker room into a toxic pool. Was a moody A hole.

He missed the playoffs, didn't show in the playoffs. Was hurt...a lot.

Boston losing him is addition by subtraction. Five more years of his aloofness, his injuries, his so called leadership would have hurt the Cs even more.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I’d be open to trading for Lonzo Ball. His value is low, he defends well, his shot can be fixed and he is a brilliant team guy with great court vision. So what if his dad is overbearing.

My guess is it would take Smart and a draft pick to get him. I love Smart but you’d have to consider it.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

The drama is his father not him.  By all accounts Lonzo was a great team player and his teammates all liked him.  If the distraction is not from the player it is easy to remove and ignore (and let's be clear we heard almost nothing from Lavar this year after James joined the team and made the team shut that crap down).

Agreed.

I liked BAll, but his father is something else. I think the kid needs a new environment. if he can get his shooting to a competent level he'll be good. Just don't know if he could handle Boston being a LA boy and all. LOL

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

2017-18   NBA   Kevin Durant   
2016-17   NBA   Kevin Durant   
2010-11   NBA   Dirk Nowitzki   
2004-05   NBA   Tim Duncan   
2002-03   NBA   Tim Duncan   
2001-02   NBA   Shaquille O'Neal   
2000-01   NBA   Shaquille O'Neal   
1999-00   NBA   Shaquille O'Neal   
1998-99   NBA   Tim Duncan   
1994-95   NBA   Hakeem Olajuwon   
1993-94   NBA   Hakeem Olajuwon   
1985-86   NBA   Larry Bird   
1984-85   NBA   Kareem Abdul-Jabbar   
1983-84   NBA   Larry Bird   
1982-83   NBA   Moses Malone   
1977-78   NBA   Wes Unseld   
1976-77   NBA   Bill Walton   
1971-72   NBA   Wilt Chamberlain   
1970-71   NBA   Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

The game has adapted but I would present that there is more a lack of dominant big men than them not being important.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Un-effing-believable.

I've heard that Danny wanted to do this trade, but one of the owners blocked it. I swear, if we just missed out on AD because Pags wanted to keep his Duke boy who played with his son...

If this is true, Danny needs to come out and flat out say so. "I wanted to make the Davis trade, but the owners nixed it." Otherwise it's his head on the chopping block.

Danny gets paid the big bucks to make the hard decisions. If, after a 15 year tenure, he still can't put his foot down and draw a line in the sand, then what is he even good for? Otherwise were just at the whim and mercy of a non-basketball guy's ideas of how to run a successful basketball franchise.
[dang], can you provide a link for that?

Yes, please expand on this. Lol

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

2017-18   NBA   Kevin Durant   
2016-17   NBA   Kevin Durant   
2010-11   NBA   Dirk Nowitzki   
2004-05   NBA   Tim Duncan   
2002-03   NBA   Tim Duncan   
2001-02   NBA   Shaquille O'Neal   
2000-01   NBA   Shaquille O'Neal   
1999-00   NBA   Shaquille O'Neal   
1998-99   NBA   Tim Duncan   
1994-95   NBA   Hakeem Olajuwon   
1993-94   NBA   Hakeem Olajuwon   
1985-86   NBA   Larry Bird   
1984-85   NBA   Kareem Abdul-Jabbar   
1983-84   NBA   Larry Bird   
1982-83   NBA   Moses Malone   
1977-78   NBA   Wes Unseld   
1976-77   NBA   Bill Walton   
1971-72   NBA   Wilt Chamberlain   
1970-71   NBA   Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

The game has adapted but I would present that there is more a lack of dominant big men than them not being important.

In the last 20 years 8 "big men" have won it. And I wouldn't consider Dirk and KD traditional big men that around going to clog the paint and get you boards, they are more perimeter players.

So I would say it's not a long athletic mans game. 

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Un-effing-believable.

I've heard that Danny wanted to do this trade, but one of the owners blocked it. I swear, if we just missed out on AD because Pags wanted to keep his Duke boy who played with his son...

If this is true, Danny needs to come out and flat out say so. "I wanted to make the Davis trade, but the owners nixed it." Otherwise it's his head on the chopping block.

Danny gets paid the big bucks to make the hard decisions. If, after a 15 year tenure, he still can't put his foot down and draw a line in the sand, then what is he even good for? Otherwise were just at the whim and mercy of a non-basketball guy's ideas of how to run a successful basketball franchise.
[dang], can you provide a link for that?

Yes, please expand on this. Lol

yes if thats the case ....then Danny should not fall on the sword for that moron ....i wouldn't ......if the owner nixed the trade then he needs to STEP forward and OWN it