Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics refused to make Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans  (Read 20988 times)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ainge clearly didn't play his cards without a committment from Davis. Which may be a mistake. The only other explanation is NO took a worse deal to move Davis to the big market.  I doubt that because all those no.1s the Lakers traded are worthless for a contender, which the Lakers will be for the next few years. Ainge probably just didn't play his hand.

It sounds to me like the Pelican were ready to tango with the Celtics on this one.

Ainge got cold feet after what Rich Paul said and understandably so.

What makes Ainge look bad though is we've been led to believe for soooo long that Davis was his end game and now he ends up on the Lakers.  Talk about looking like a buffoon.

And why didn't he make any moves at the trade deadline again?

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Ainge clearly didn't play his cards without a committment from Davis. Which may be a mistake. The only other explanation is NO took a worse deal to move Davis to the big market.  I doubt that because all those no.1s the Lakers traded are worthless for a contender, which the Lakers will be for the next few years. Ainge probably just didn't play his hand.

What are you talking about? The two swaps and the first round pick from 2023 - 2025 are going to be when Lebron starts reaching his forties and is likely retired. Those are likely to be goldmines, especially given AD’s health concerns over his career.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
We still have a logjam at the wing. If we keep Tatum, i hope we trade Brown for a big then. I don’t think we can move Hayward.

Smart-Tatum-Hayward-Horford-Bigman

Pretty slow lineup though

The solution is to play Tatum at PF.

That way Tatum, Brown, and Hayward will be able to start.

There's no way Hayward would be happy if he still plays 26 minutes per game coming off the bench.

The solution is playing Tatum at power forward???

If that's the solution, then we are in trouble. One of Tatum or Hayward would have to be moved. I'd like to see us improve somehow, someway. At least lie to me and tell me we are going to be good next year.

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Well at least I can buy a Tatum jersey without worrying he’ll be gone immediately after...
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
We still have a logjam at the wing. If we keep Tatum, i hope we trade Brown for a big then. I don’t think we can move Hayward.

There's no way Hayward would be happy if he still plays 26 minutes per game coming off the bench.

If that's the solution, then we are in trouble. One of Tatum or Hayward would have to be moved. I'd like to see us improve somehow, someway. At least lie to me and tell me we are going to be good next year.

Our original starting 5 post Hayward/irving acquisitions was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
For all we know kyrie said he was walking.  That with Davis saying he won’t stay and what was Ainge supposed to do....well here’s our future, let’s trade.  All for Davis to fake another injury. No thanks

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Our original starting 5 post Hayward/irving acquisitions was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

You realize Tatum is only 6'8, right?

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Tim Bontemps

Verified account

@TimBontemps
Follow Follow @TimBontemps
More
The Pelicans will get the following picks from the Lakers, league sources tell ESPN:

No. 4 pick in 2019
Top-8 protected in 2021, becomes unprotected in ‘22
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25

Tremendous haul for David Griffin & the Pelicans.

Yup, you're right. Best part is Lavar Ball's thoughts on the deal:
“the worst move the Lakers ever did in their life” and guarantees they won’t win another championship, Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN tweets."  Lol!

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/06/more-on-anthony-davis-to-lakers-trade-agreement.html

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton

Just telling you what that starting lineup was.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Just telling you what that starting lineup was.

Got it.

Don't forget though, the starting lineup on opening night in 2017 was Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Baynes.

Hayward going down led to Tatum replacing him.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Here's what the Lakers gave up:
No. 4 pick in 2019
Top-8 protected in 2021, becomes unprotected in ‘22
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25
Ingram, Ball, Hart.

Looks like an overpay to me - and it is better than Celtics package.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:30:09 PM by Kuberski33 »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

That’s not a Solution it’s a problem. Tatum is just not as effective at PF. The Solution is to trade a wing for a Center.

Trading a wing for a Center is very unlikely.

It's hard to find quality Centers.

Quality wings are common.

Smart for Myles Turner
I doubt Indiana would do this

What about a Hayward for Sabonis deal? The pacers have some space free, and they seem to have already decided they can't play Turner and Sabonis together. maybe they gamble on Haywards upside returning from injury.

That's plausible.

Good deal for both teams.

Pacers need star power, Hayward gives them that.

Celts need to rid themselves of Hayward's big contract.

It's plausible.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

We were in trouble the moment Kyrie changed his mind about re-signing with the Celts.

Right now we have to accept the fact that the Celts will be rebuilding again.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

We were in trouble the moment Kyrie changed his mind about re-signing with the Celts.

That cat was never re-signing. His plan was to get Nets back their draft pick. His allegiance was always to his childhood team.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I wonder if we try to move Hayward now? Maybe try to take back bad salary, even if its more than one year and receive future pick(s) in return. Next years free agency crop is terrible.