Author Topic: Kobe Bryant, Daughter and 7 Others Killed in Helicopter Crash  (Read 24629 times)

Re: TMZ Report: Kobe Killed in Helicopter Crash
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Trae Young and Devin Booker took 24 shots each and combined for 81 points tonight.
WOW...cool

« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Hello:

I have not posted in a long while. Today I am very sad that one of the great sports legend even though he kept kicking our tails except 2008. I am learning about what a great father and guy he was on the ESPN documentary. This stinks that he died while taking his daughter to a basketball tournament. A devastating loss for humanity as I just heard Jalen Rose say on ESPN.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2020, 11:06:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Orange Coast College baseball coach John Albotelli, his wife Keri, and their daughter Alyssa were confirmed as victims on the copter.  Albotelli coached for 27 years at the school notching 700 wins.  Current Met Jeff McNeil played for him in 2012.

The more you hear, the sadder it becomes.

He coached in Cape League too.
Yup

Re: Kobe Bryant, Daughter and 7 Others Killed in Helicopter Crash
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2020, 11:49:23 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
RIP Kobe and those that died today. It is a tragedy on so many levels. I feel horrible for his family and friends in having to go through this.

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2020, 04:17:38 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Condolences to the Bryant family for the loss of a husband, father and a daughter, and Kobe was on the other side of the Celtics' NBA Championship battles during the New Big Three era but I always respected him as a player and competitor. You were never sure of any win as long as Kobe was on the other team. Not everyone can be a world class basketball player, but anyone can adopt the Mamba Mentality to try to be successful in what they do.

RIP to Kobe, Gianna and to the others who lost their lives in the crash.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:29:26 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2020, 06:10:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Absolutely devastating.
The sadness that he had to witness his daughter dying with him is something I hope I never have to experience.
The joy and happiness that this man brought to hundreds of millions of humans around the world is something that only very few humans have done.

The joy he brought me as a basketball fan, as the ultimate competitor and his attitude towards life is something I'll never forget.

As a Celtics fan, it's guys like Kobe that make basketball and the Celtics/Lakers rivalry something we are so lucky to have in our lives.

Thankyou Kobe, rest in peace legend. Your daughter is hoopin' with you in heaven.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Those poor people (and their families) - how scary that must've been. Crazy that it was Kobe - he was obviously the most well-known of the group - but I hate assigning worth to people's lives and it seems as though few are even mentioning the others (thanks Moranis) - just like they don't for the random car, motorcycle, bike, pedestrian, etc accidents each day. When a big time celebrity like Kobe goes down much younger than he should have in something that he had no control over, it really casts a spotlight on the fragility of life.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:08:33 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2020, 09:45:46 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
There are moments in life, where you will always remember where you were when you heard some truly tragic news. I’ll never forget the moment I heard about Magic Johnson’s announcement that he was HIV positive. I’ll never forget where I was when I heard Andy Gresh on sports radio suddenly stopping to talk about a plane crashing into one of the Twin Towers. And I’ll never forget how my heart sank when I saw the headline that Kobe died.

For years, there was always talk of who would be the next Jordan. There were many comparisons, and ultimately everyone failed. Then Kobe came along, who was just as gifted as a scorer, was a tenacious defender, and had a relentless desire to win. And BTW, Kobe also managed to pass MJ on the all-time scoring list as well. The only knock on him, was that he was too similar to Jordan and that he basically copied MJ’s game. I honestly don’t see how that’s a bad thing. He also played 20 seasons for one team.

My prayers go out to his family, who not only lost a husband and father, but also a daughter and sister. Obviously, prayers go out to the other families as well, who lost loved ones.

I will be glued to my TV tomorrow night to watch TNT, starting with their pregame show at 7:30. First is Celtics-Heat, followed by Clippers-Lakers. That Lakers game is going to be brutal to watch, as I don’t think they’ll be a dry eye in the house. I’ll admit, when I watched the Celtics game yesterday, I was crying when both teams took the 24 second violations. Tomorrow night is going to be rough, but necessary as Kobe was truly a legend that should be mourned and celebrated.

RIP Kobe and Gianna.

« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I generally don't empathize much for deaths of celebrities.  I probably have never had any meaningful human connection with them and I have no idea what kind of person they are.

There is one part of this tragedy I can empathize with -- that is watching that video which surfaced just a month ago of Kobe and Gianna courtside at the basketball game.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1208552113271382023

I can appreciate in that video the joy and happiness that Kobe gets out of the sport of basketball and I can imagine how much joy and fulfillment he gets being able to share that joy and bond over that with his daughter.  As a father of my first daughter just 5 months ago, I myself dream of having those kinds of moments with her.  So I can relate to Kobe in that way and it saddens me that many more of those truly joyful moments which life is all about have been lost for Kobe and Gianna.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:51:26 AM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2020, 08:25:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
PP says the NBA should retire Kobe's number around every arena and change the logo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsO0dWUp97Y

It won’t be the first or last time Paul is wrong.

Kobe isn’t even the best player of his era. It sucks that he died at 41, but what happens when Lebron / Larry / Magic / Bill die?
Agreed. Just posting what he said.

Personally speaking, I never held Kobe in high esteem. I'm not gonna change my mind cause he passed away in his early 40s.

Never held any athlete in high esteem based exclussevely on his sporting achievements. If you ask me, they are just entertainers. Really don't see why people keep idolising them.

Are you a Celtics Fan?
Huh? Yes, I am. What's that got to do with anything?

Then I suppose that you've "Idolized" about our Celtics 1464 times, then.

Me? Approaching 14000 times.

Some of the Mods? Wow 30-40 thousand times.

I don't believe anyone here "idolizes" ANYONE.

But I "DO" believe that folks are trying to empathize...grieve with one another.....truly understand where EACH OTHER is coming from.

At times I think it is a lost art in this country.

« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2020, 08:48:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
PP says the NBA should retire Kobe's number around every arena and change the logo.

Kobe isn’t even the best player of his era. It sucks that he died at 41, but what happens when Lebron / Larry / Magic / Bill die?

Personally speaking, I never held Kobe in high esteem. I'm not gonna change my mind cause he passed away in his early 40s.

Never held any athlete in high esteem based exclussevely on their sporting achievements. If you ask me, they are just entertainers. Really don't see why people keep idolising them.

Are you a Celtics Fan?

But I "DO" believe that folks are trying to empathize...grieve with one another.....truly understand where EACH OTHER is coming from.

With all do respect, this is sheer hypocrisy. People are dying all over the world every single day, plenty of them in dramatic ways or even under inhumain conditions. They are just not famous, so nobody listens to their story.

Anyway, I see the mods deleted my posts so I'm not gonna continue with this.

edit: my bad, they just moved the posts to the new thread
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:39:28 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Trying to keep this thread for mourning and paying tribute to Kobe. Discussing retirement of his number or anything that might not shine Kobe in the best light can be discussed in the other thread.

« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2020, 09:49:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Never held any athlete in high esteem based exclussevely on their sporting achievements. If you ask me, they are just entertainers. Really don't see why people keep idolising them.

Are you a Celtics Fan?

With all do respect, this is sheer hypocrisy. People are dying all over the world every single day, plenty of them in dramatic ways or even under inhumain conditions. They are just not famous, so nobody listens to their story.

Anyway, I see the mods deleted my posts so I'm not gonna continue with this.

edit: my bad, they just moved the posts to the new thread

There was a young Police Officer that evidently passed just recently in the area I live in. From what I gather - she had just relocated here from New Hampshire.

She passed during a traffic stop...I don't know "how" it happened because I just caught a part of the report.

The radio anchors gave her a touching moment of silence...told how her Police Chief was distraught....told how she left behind a 2 year old....

She died a Hero, no doubt. I hear these things and of course it touches me because I wore a military uniform at one time in my life...I knew what "could" happen - during the course of duty.

She got her well-deserved recognition. No one objected and it was classy.

Everyone - including Kobe - deserves the same....in one form or fashion.

Yes - Kobe made millions. Yes - he was our hated foe. Yes - he made mistakes in his life - some that affected others. I can understand why others would want to bring it up.

But thankfully the worse part was not the total part for him.

At the end of the day WE ALL - have Skeletons. How do YOU want to be remembered?

« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
My friend's a helicopter pilot, and she gave me her personal take on this.

She mentioned that disregarding the volatility of the weather, and the systematic approach of normalization of deviance may have led to the untimely deaths of the passengers aboard.

First off, the pilot who passed away in the accident was flying the Sikorsky S-76, was also the chief pilot of the charter company. Sikorsky is a twin-engine turbine aircraft which means even in the event of any kind of engine failure, the pilot should be able to land the helicopter safely, it's also rarely has any safety problems. He's really well known in the aviation field, and his experience is vast. He probably flew this route over a hundred times. I would imagine the situation he found himself and his attendees prior to crashing was absolutely the last thing on his mind when they took off.

She said pilots have to always do PAVE check: Pilot, Aircraft, EnVironment, and External factors. It seems like he avoided doing a good routine check on the last two items, with weather reporting low visibility, and low ceilings. Now, there is a pretty good chance that the pilot had flown the route in probably worse conditions, but he also probably didn't want to let any of his passengers down by cancelling their flight.

Based on numerous reports, the NTSB may clear up any mechanical or malfunctioning issues. The pilot was given a special VFR, which dictates that he had to be out of the clouds and retain a 1 mile flight visibility.

John: “A Special VFR Clearance is an ATC authorization for a VFR aircraft to operate in weather that is less than the basic VFR minima. Basic VFR minima are 1,000-foot ceiling and 3 miles visibility. If the reported weather is less, a pilot can request a Special VFR Clearance.

My friend says in conclusion, it seems most likely pilot found himself in the clouds with zero or limited visibility and found himself in a tight spot, and a lot of variables inevitably played a role in unexpected and accelerated situation. Either being so low to the ground with a low field of vision, probably led to flying into a hill or making a sharp turn and the aircraft most likely spun out of control and crashed.

When it struck the ground, the helicopter was flying at about 184 mph and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute, the data showed.

That's pretty sad, and it seems like everyone on the aircraft instantaneously died.

[ABC7] Shortly after 9:40 am the helicopter turned again, toward the southeast, and climbed to more than 2,000 feet. It then descended and crashed into the hillside at about 1,400 feet, according to data from Flightradar24. Data also revealed the chopper lost control about 15 seconds before impact.
Some snippets:

Bryant's helicopter left Santa Ana in Orange County shortly after 9 a.m. and circled for a time just east of the 5 Freeway, near Glendale. Air traffic controllers noted poor visibility around Burbank, just to the north, and Van Nuys, to the northwest.

After holding up the helicopter for other aircraft, they cleared the Sikorsky S-76 to proceed north along the 5 Freeway through Burbank before turning west to follow the 101 Freeway. Shortly after 9:40 a.m., the helicopter turned again, toward the southeast, and climbed to more than 2,000 feet. It then descended and crashed into the hillside at about 1,400 feet, according to data from Flightradar24. Data also revealed the chopper lost control about 15 seconds before impact.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation, but dense fog at the time was such that the Los Angeles Police Department and the county sheriff's department grounded their helicopters.

Justin Green, an aviation attorney in New York who flew helicopters in the Marine Corps, believes weather may have contributed to the crash. Pilots can become disoriented in bad weather, losing track of which direction is up. Green said a pilot flying an S-76 would be instrument-rated, meaning they could fly the helicopter without relying on visual cues from outside.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said his department's choppers would not have left their airport in Long Beach in such weather conditions.

Jeez, this actually just gets more and more worse I read it...

So it seems like for about 15 seconds, they knew they were either going to be bracing for impact, or sharply descending to their deaths...

What a sad week for basketball. Ugh, I cannot imagine the look on Kobe's face when he looks into his daughter's eyes and know they may not make it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 05:11:17 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different