Author Topic: Dragan Bender Sports Science  (Read 9910 times)

Dragan Bender Sports Science
« on: June 19, 2016, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLBuKOjTCBQ

I thought I would put this up here for those of us who enjoy the sports science. Lots of interesting tidbits about how elite of a frame he has for an NBA power forward.

One of the things I found interesting was the section about his shot. Most people on here that are critics of Bender list his slow shot release as a reason why he will struggle in the NBA.
The Video highlights 2 facts about his shot

1.) Has tightened the speed of his release on his 3pt shot to .47 seconds on average. This is almost a 15% faster stroke than the average NBA players' speed of .54 seconds.

2.) He gets good lift on his shot. When he shoots the ball, the apex of his shot is 16.1 feet above the floor (almost identical to Curry,) which doesn't mean anything, except that the ball is approaching the basket at an optimal 43 degree angle. This means he isnt shooting it too flat, or putting insane arc on the ball, but that he shoots it like as shooter.

Let the Dragan hate spill forth.

PS Happy Fathers Day
#JKJB

Re: Dragan Bender Sports Science
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I like it, so it's like Karl Anthony Towns and Curry had a love child. I like it. Let's get the Dragan!!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
TP - Thanks!

The shot release was the most important part to me. He needs to get that speed down.

I'd be interested to see how consistently his shot came down in that "optimal angle" range. If it was fairly consistent, that would encourage me about his shooting.

It's also good to hear that his center of gravity is low. Tall guys who can't get low do struggle to defend in the NBA, but it's good to hear he does.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Stop, please stop!

My heart can't take this!!

Now I'm back on the Bender train!!

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 02:12:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Triboy, CoachBo, and Celtics4Ever are going to really hate that video....so TP!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 03:01:29 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Grrrrrr people throwing around TPs, mean while I only get one lol.

All kidding aside, I think Bender has an insane amount of potential. And his work ethic is amazing. This kid could be brads sponge who he could mold into the perfect modern big. (Well not perfect, that's KAT) but you know what I mean.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 03:11:56 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Grrrrrr people throwing around TPs, mean while I only get one lol.

All kidding aside, I think Bender has an insane amount of potential. And his work ethic is amazing. This kid could be brads sponge who he could mold into the perfect modern big. (Well not perfect, that's KAT) but you know what I mean.

I got your back, Future!

TP!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Triboy, CoachBo, and Celtics4Ever are going to really hate that video....so TP!!!!!

Good one! TP for the TP 

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 03:29:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Stop, please stop!

My heart can't take this!!

Now I'm back on the Bender train!!

Me too. Although I still have a reservation on the Brown Express.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 03:45:40 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
One thing that stands out about Bender is his potential to guard smaller players. And how the NBA is going small, to have some one that tall able to switch in the pick and roll would be nice. He's very tempting, and it's not like any one 3-10 are sure things.

This has to be one of the toughest drafts after pick 2. Any one could be an all star, any one could be a bust. DA wont be sleeping this week thats for sure.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He has a zero mid range game. No post game.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Bender would have just graduated High School....and he played his H.S. games against Pro players overseas, Not against other H.S. players.

Really hope Ainge is thinking long term with this pick, if he uses it. Use the other Picks to move up for a shooter if he can.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

Good thing he isn't playing 20 years ago. His lack of a midrange could be viewed as high bball iq. The least effective shot is the mid range jumper. The fact that he has a floater for the midrange shouldn't be ignored. And do you really think if someone said to take a mid range shot he would struggle?

Honestly how many great post scorers have come along recently? Okafor. Look how his first year worked out. He's a dinosaur. Also bender while not polished at all has a minor hook in close range which should atleast be average due to his high skill level and bball iq. He's 18.....let's not forget that.

Worst case scenario he is a good spot up shooter, an amazing passer for his size, a great rim runner, and the definition of a modern nba defender.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Good thing he isn't playing 20 years ago. His lack of a midrange could be viewed as high bball iq. The least effective shot is the mid range jumper. The fact that he has a floater for the midrange shouldn't be ignored. And do you really think if someone said to take a mid range shot he would struggle?

Honestly how many great post scorers have come along recently? Okafor. Look how his first year worked out. He's a dinosaur. Also bender while not polished at all has a minor hook in close range which should atleast be average due to his high skill level and bball iq. He's 18.....let's not forget that.

Worst case scenario he is a good spot up shooter, an amazing passer for his size, a great rim runner, and the definition of a modern nba defender.

Seriously?

His scouting report will be easy. Either lookout for the 3 pt shot or prevent the drive in

I dont mean a guy just having  mid range or post game but being well rounded.

And i disagree. The mid range game is still a part of todays game. Especially when you need a crucial bucket to stop the bleeding

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 04:13:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Can freaking Thursday get here already? I'm tired about stressing who we should pick. I've never been all that enthralled about Bender, but every time I see stuff like this I can see his immense potential.

I'm pretty set on the "high ceiling" train of thought, even if they do have higher bust chances. Brown, Bender, Chriss, or trade for a star and I'll be happy, or of course if Ingram falls.