Author Topic: I’m a Smart hater  (Read 24490 times)

Re: I’m a Smart hater
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I'm a Smart hater and still am!

I think you guys are giving him way to much credit for those last 2 calls and instead should be giving it to the ref who finally had the courage to make the right calls against a guy that pushes off on every play!

I'll keep saying it Smart is a decent role player when he plays within his abilities. Unfortunately WAY to often he tries to play above his abilities which always hurts the team.

Traded at the trade deadline if anyone will pony up something of value for him.

Nonsense.  They teach all basketball players at the lowest levels on the need to sell offensive fouls.  How many charges are called when a defender stays standing?  Zero.

That is all defensive positioning, instinct, and his ability to foul/annoy people to the point that they elbow him to the ground.

No it's not. Watch next game Smart aka Stupid will foul a 3 point shooter at the end of the game and we will lose because of it. If you go back and watch all the games this year I bet you will easily see for every great play Stupid makes he makes a horrible one. Even worse what I have noticed is he compounds his Stupid plays. Meaning he will come down on the offensive end make a horrible turnover, realizing he screwed up he will race down and foul a jump shooter. Turning 30 seconds into a 4 point swing for the other team. He does this constantly, constantly!!!!

Yet Stevens still plays him starter minutes. Wonder if Coach calls him stupid too? Nah, you obviously know more than him.

Well we don't have much of a bench so take that it into account. Otherwise I'm calling it like I see it and would be happy to have someone start keeping an unbiased watch on this. Watch the game through unbiased eyes and I'm willing to bet you will find out I'm right.
and yet, is that not exactly what the other posters on this board are saying to you? 

may i suggest you strengthen your arguments with evidence, examples, stats, and the like.

for example, you invite us all to watch smart foul a three point shooter at the end of games. this implies that this happens regularly, or at least more often than for other players. please provide some proof to back all this up.

and yes, the burden of proof does fall on you since you are the one making the argument.

so, please let us all know about the above example you bring out. thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Smart certainly won the game for us against Houston yesterday by using the time honored technique of being aggressive on D and selling the retaliation  to the refs. 

Marcus is certainly a better player than either Jaylen or Jaysen right now.
That being said Tatum is a way better offensive player and you my friend need to discover something called stats that prove this beyond measure.

?

Tatum is a better offensive player than Marcus.

There is more to the game than just offense, and Marcus is clearly the more impactful player, in terms of winning, than Jaysen or Jaylen.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.  Marcus impacts the game with his passing and Defense but he impacts the game in a negative way with his offense with some of those horrible shots.  Tatum plays very good D for a rookie and impacts the game with his offense, especially in the 4th quarter as much as Smart Impacts the game with his D.  Tatum has ice in his veins and can make that game winning shot.  You can't teach that.  Both impact the game in positive ways with the things they do well.  Last night Tatum had big buckets in the 4th and had a huge block on Harden when he could have iced the game with a 3ball with under a minute to go.

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I think you guys are giving him way to much credit for those last 2 calls and instead should be giving it to the ref who finally had the courage to make the right calls against a guy that pushes off on every play!

I'll keep saying it Smart is a decent role player when he plays within his abilities. Unfortunately WAY to often he tries to play above his abilities which always hurts the team.

Nonsense.  They teach all basketball players at the lowest levels on the need to sell offensive fouls.  How many charges are called when a defender stays standing?  Zero.

That is all defensive positioning, instinct, and his ability to foul/annoy people to the point that they elbow him to the ground.

No it's not. Watch next game Smart aka Stupid will foul a 3 point shooter at the end of the game and we will lose because of it. If you go back and watch all the games this year I bet you will easily see for every great play Stupid makes he makes a horrible one. Even worse what I have noticed is he compounds his Stupid plays. Meaning he will come down on the offensive end make a horrible turnover, realizing he screwed up he will race down and foul a jump shooter. Turning 30 seconds into a 4 point swing for the other team. He does this constantly, constantly!!!!

Yet Stevens still plays him starter minutes. Wonder if Coach calls him stupid too? Nah, you obviously know more than him.

Well we don't have much of a bench so take that it into account. Otherwise I'm calling it like I see it and would be happy to have someone start keeping an unbiased watch on this. Watch the game through unbiased eyes and I'm willing to bet you will find out I'm right.

Hey don't backtrack now, either you want him to play or you don't want him to play. If you resort to name-calling, you might as well publicize that you would tell Brad to play Rozier/Larkin/Ojelye more minutes over Smart. Actually, at this rate, can we start the timer on when you start a "Fire Stevens" thread?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Smart certainly won the game for us against Houston yesterday by using the time honored technique of being aggressive on D and selling the retaliation  to the refs. 

Marcus is certainly a better player than either Jaylen or Jaysen right now.
That being said Tatum is a way better offensive player and you my friend need to discover something called stats that prove this beyond measure.

?

Tatum is a better offensive player than Marcus.

There is more to the game than just offense, and Marcus is clearly the more impactful player, in terms of winning, than Jaysen or Jaylen.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.  Marcus impacts the game with his passing and Defense but he impacts the game in a negative way with his offense with some of those horrible shots.  Tatum plays very good D for a rookie and impacts the game with his offense, especially in the 4th quarter as much as Smart Impacts the game with his D.  Tatum has ice in his veins and can make that game winning shot.  You can't teach that.  Both impact the game in positive ways with the things they do well.  Last night Tatum had big buckets in the 4th and had a huge block on Harden when he could have iced the game with a 3ball with under a minute to go.

Maybe as soon as next year you might be right.

If I needed to pick one of them to help me win one game right now, I go with Marcus 10 times out of 10.

I don't see that being all that debatable.

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Hahah. TP. I just copy/pasted and sent this to about 10 of my buddies. They all love it.

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I just gave you 5 TPs for this fwf. Awesome!!!

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Calling Celtics such derogatory names is clear baiting. Do not continue this.

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Dreamgreen, another poster gave you an opportunity to present your case that Marcus makes big defensive mistakes at the end of a game. You chose to not defend this statement.

I wanted to give you another opportunity to provide evidence "for every great play [Smart] makes he makes a horrible one."

I'm assuming that you won't respond, because your statement isn't based in reality.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:14:22 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I definitely don't think Smart is stupid.

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »

Offline wvcelticsfan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4

Can you cite a game where this has happened? ie, Smart fouling a 3 point shooter at the end of a game costing us the game? I can't recall one.  If you are going to make accusations like that, you should back them up with facts.

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I'm not a Smart hater, but he's not the third best player on the team.  His intangibles are very valuable but so is efficient scoring at decent volume, and this year, Smart vs Tatum:

Tatum: 17.6 PER, 4.8 WS, 2.8 OWS
Smart: 9.6 PER, .9 WS, -.8 OWS

Now, clearly the advanced metrics are missing something quantifying Smart, however, there is obviously an argument to be made that Tatum is already better.  In a league where the Warriors win titles by outscoring anyone and the Cavs have a poor defense but are still a clear top 3 team, Tatum is extremely valuable to keep pace, just as Smart is to slow them down.

Even at just 19, Tatum is playing like Otto Porter this season, and Porter just got a max deal.  Smart, based on his numbers this year, will be lucky to get half a max deal this summer. 

In fact, though this isn't the argument being discussed, when Tatum comes off his rookie deal, he'll likely get more $$ a year than Smart ever will. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07