Author Topic: 2010 USA Basketball Men's World Championship Team Finalists  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/usa_mwc_15finalists_2010_07_28.html

Named as finalists for the USA World Championship Team were Chauncey Billups (Denver Nuggets); Tyson Chandler (Dallas Mavericks); Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors); Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder); Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies); Eric Gordon (Los Angeles Clippers); Danny Granger (Indiana Pacers); Jeff Green (Oklahoma City Thunder); Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers); Brook Lopez (New Jersey Nets); Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves); Lamar Odom (Los Angeles Lakers); Rajon Rondo (Boston Celtics); Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls); and Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder).

OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans, Gerald Wallace, and JaVale McGee cut.

Is it a good thing or bad thing that Rondo made the cut?  I don't know how I feel about Rondo making the squad. Part of me is ecstatic and really happy for him, but another part of me feels that he may now lose out on time to improve the weaknesses in his game particular the jump shot and free-throws.

At least I'll get to see Rondo in New York at the Hoops Festival  ;D!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:22:02 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: 2010 USA Basketball Men's World Championship Team Finalists
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Named as finalists for the USA World Championship Team were Chauncey Billups (Denver Nuggets); Tyson Chandler (Dallas Mavericks); Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors); Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder); Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies); Eric Gordon (Los Angeles Clippers); Danny Granger (Indiana Pacers); Jeff Green (Oklahoma City Thunder); Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers); Brook Lopez (New Jersey Nets); Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves); Lamar Odom (Los Angeles Lakers); Rajon Rondo (Boston Celtics); Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls); and Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder).

Is it a good thing or bad thing that Rondo made the cut?  I don't know.
How Chandler made it over McGee baffles me.
Are Eric Gordon and Jeff Green really better than Evans and Wallace?
If it was up to me Green is replaced by Wallace and McGee replaces Chandler.

Mayo vs Gordon vs Evans I guess is understandable because Gordon can shoot.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:14:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Is it a good thing or bad thing that Rondo made the cut?  I don't know how I feel about Rondo making the squad. Part of me is ecstatic and really happy for him, but another part of me feels that he may now lose out on time to improve the weaknesses in his game particular the jump shot.

PG: Chauncey Billups, Stephen Curry, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose
SG: Andre Iguodala, Eric Gordon
SF: Kevin Durant, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger
PF: Jeff Green, Lamar Odom, Kevin Love
C: Tyson Chandler, Brook Lopez

Okay is it just me or is this team a little light on big men and very heavy of PGs?

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:16:18 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Is it a good thing or bad thing that Rondo made the cut?  I don't know how I feel about Rondo making the squad. Part of me is ecstatic and really happy for him, but another part of me feels that he may now lose out on time to improve the weaknesses in his game particular the jump shot.

Okay is it just me or is this team a little light on big men and very heavy of PGs?

No you're right about that.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 03:28:30 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
When do there games/scrimmages start?

Anybody got a link to schedule?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like Rondo making team (there is still another cut) because it will emphasize even more the need for a jumper.

I like him playing in D'Antoni's offense because he will be forced to shoot open jumpers, and I feel Rondo shoots better when he has to and there is no room for self-doubt and second guessing himself. That could be a confidence builder.

If he plays well, it will also help Rondo in all-star voting. Would be cool if he could be #2 among guards after Wade.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 03:43:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

PG: Chauncey Billups, Stephen Curry, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose

Well, I would not be surprised if Durant, Gay, and Granger all play a bit at PF (if not exclusively), similar to how Melo did in the Olympics.  And I think Westbrook and definitely Curry will be used at SG.  Love will also play a lot of Center.

I think they could get in trouble if they have any injuries at Center, but otherwise, I think this is a relatively balanced and versatile roster.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

They will be playing Curry and Billups at the 2 guard spot for sure.  They'll be running a lot of 2 "PG" lineup I'm sure.

And as Chris said Durant will be playings some PF I'm sure, Odom and Love might even see some C.

I'm surprised McGee didn't at least make this cut though, considering how few bigs they have.

As for Rondo, I'm happy for him.  It'll be good to see him out there and if he can't find time to work on his FT shooting while practicing he never will.  Same with the jump shooting.  This should be a time for him to work on that stuff more.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Why so much love for McGee?

He is still a very limited player especially on the defensive end of the floor.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I wouldn't say it was big love for him so much as surprise because they don't have many real bigs.  He is pretty limited on D but in international ball I can see him being better.  And he is a pretty good shot blocker on defense, that is something he would bring.

Not a huge loss, just a little surprising all considered.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I saw part of the scrimmage, and the thinking seemed to be that he got the invite based on his stellar summer league play. Hardly a ringing endorsement IMO.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 04:39:13 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I like Rondo making team (there is still another cut) because it will emphasize even more the need for a jumper.

I like him playing in D'Antoni's offense because he will be forced to shoot open jumpers, and I feel Rondo shoots better when he has to and there is no room for self-doubt and second guessing himself. That could be a confidence builder.

If he plays well, it will also help Rondo in all-star voting. Would be cool if he could be #2 among guards after Wade.

I'd like it a lot better if he was playing D'Antoni's defense, too.  Half the injury risk since he'd only have to play on one end of the court.  Half the waste of time, too.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I saw part of the scrimmage, and the thinking seemed to be that he got the invite based on his stellar summer league play. Hardly a ringing endorsement IMO.

You're partially right but I'm prediciting a breakout year for him in Washington alongside Wall.  They already looked like a great tandem in the Summer League and that will only grow. 

He's not bulky enough but McGee can throw down and he's a freak athlete.  Also predicting him in the dunk contest this year.