Author Topic: If Yao retires this coming season, was he Houston's 2nd coming of Ralph Sampson?  (Read 4013 times)

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
When Yao first came into the league, there was a ton of hype around him...  ' 7'6" Giant from the East, Ready to take on Shaq' and other types of slogans and the coming of age of b-ball in Asia, etc.

Then, he even did one-on-ones with former great (if not greatest), Hakeem Olajuwon, to modify his game to that of the league.

In the end, however, he resembled Hakeem's former injury prone Rocket's sidekick, 7'4" Ralph Sampson, than the 2nd coming of Wilt a/o Hakeem from Asia. Sampson was the much vaunted Virginia superstar of the early 80s, who was suppose to anchor & dominate the post game for the Rockets, picking up where Moses had left of. Now, like Ralph in '89, his career is about over for good.

The question is ... is his legacy that of a Sampson? Or will he be remembered for more?

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Yao is a great player and person from what ive read.. and while i do not pretend to know how the future will shape out, i hope for him that he will be remembered in houston years after he retires.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
He won't be he's not very appreciated there. Houstonians are very fair weathered from what I've personally seen. And don't even get me started on their "Red Rowdies". God awful gimmicky idea created by Jeff Van Gundy. Also the first time I've seen a vuvuzela in an NBA arena. Although I did hear them in our games against Milwaukee of all places last year. But I hate the things and think they should be banned altogether or left to soccer stadiums. The drum banging and vuvuzela blaring if the Red Rowdys section really took away from my experience there. And made me appreciate Boston Celtics fans even more.

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Quick answer is no.  Yao is SOOOO much better than Ralph Sampson ever was.  Yao's injuries might be comparable but their is nothing similar to their games.

IF Yao is healthy the Rockets can potentially battle the Lakers for the west.  He is just that good of a player.

Offline CeltsRoxfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
He won't be he's not very appreciated there. Houstonians are very fair weathered from what I've personally seen. And don't even get me started on their "Red Rowdies". God awful gimmicky idea created by Jeff Van Gundy. Also the first time I've seen a vuvuzela in an NBA arena. Although I did hear them in our games against Milwaukee of all places last year. But I hate the things and think they should be banned altogether or left to soccer stadiums. The drum banging and vuvuzela blaring if the Red Rowdys section really took away from my experience there. And made me appreciate Boston Celtics fans even more.

Trust me dude, as a Houstonian, we are not fair weather fans. Yes the Red Rowdy's are annoying as hell but at least they show spirit. And Yao is very appreciated here, our whole season depends on his status this year.

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
Just my personal opinion man. Dressing up in costumes banging drums and noise makers doesn't neccesarily equate to showing good team spirit. In my humble opinion it takes away from the actual product on the floor not to mention detracts from other fans experience at the venue. It more or less puts the spotlight and attention on the Rowdys. When it should be on the Rockets. The silly sideshow acts happen in every arena including Boston but that one in particular is on the fans. It's just not in my taste man that's all. No offense man. I didn't like the Ricky Davis fan section much either and I was a HUGE Ricky apologist lol. But they weren't half as bad as the Rowdies. Bringing vuvuzelas pots and pans drums and other annoying noise makers crosses a certain line with me. And if it happened in Boston I'd be sad and ashamed. Doubt I will tho. Were old school up here and I greatly appreciate that. ;)

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Quick answer is no.  Yao is SOOOO much better than Ralph Sampson ever was.  Yao's injuries might be comparable but their is nothing similar to their games.

IF Yao is healthy the Rockets can potentially battle the Lakers for the west.  He is just that good of a player.

Yao is under-appreciated because he's just not flashy but he's a great player.  He may be remembered for injuries plaguing his career but others (namely Walton) come to mind with similar legacies.

Yao Ming healthy is a great player and he seems to be a really good person.  I think he will have a much better legacy than Ralph Sampson.  I don't think Ralph Sampson was ever considered the best or 2nd best C in the NBA for any stretch.  

And also keep in mind that in China Yao is hugely famous and popular.  He's like Tiger Woods there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:05:04 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think the only similarities between the two is that they were deprived due to injuries and they were both rockets. their games are a lot different from each other. while yao is good.....sampson was dynamic (think kg b4 kg) and an mvp caliber player

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
i think the only similarities between the two is that they were deprived due to injuries and they were both rockets. their games are a lot different from each other. while yao is good.....sampson was dynamic (think kg b4 kg) and an mvp caliber player

Yao was definitely a MVP caliber player in '09.  He was the best center in the league that year, and yes that means better than Dwight Howard (And IMO a lot better).  Had he not gotten injured the Rockets definitely would have beaten the Lakers.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think Sampson got Houston farther, but of course he had a guy named Olajuwon to help him along. When those two played together, they formed a very imposing frontline.

Too bad they ran into a buzzsaw in 1986 called Bill Walton.

If it wasn't for Bill's contributions that year, Ralph and Hakeem would've given us more trouble than they did. We beat HOU in 6 games that title year, but they were tough games.

Yao will be remembered as a true center, I think...Ralph, while great, was more perimter-oriented.

Ralph was a once-in-a-lifetime player, though...a 7'4" "point-Forward"...I'll never forget his shot to send the Lakers home that year, at the buzzer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7rsqsNf4SE

Ralph and Hakeem had pummeled LA's frontline that series, but Kareem was holding his own.

I had an empty feeling seeing LA lose that year - I wanted Boston to beat them.

Offline CeltsRoxfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
CelticsHooligan3, sorry if I sounded a little mean in my post, I too find the Red Rowdies a little to loud for my taste.

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
No worries man. It's not the loudness of the cheering. After all the Garden can be explosive at times. It's the manner they do it in. I say save that stuff for the soccer stadiums. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Ralph started his career as essentially a 20/11 guy before getting hurt in year 4.  He was never the same after that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip