Author Topic: Delonte West  (Read 13599 times)

Re: Delonte West
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I rather have Eddie back. Our D was nice this year, but when we went in to those scoring droughts...I was saying if we had Eddie the 3 three will fall, but for West he can't shoot it better than Eddie, he can defend better though...shoot better no Eddie got'em in that department.

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Do it.

He is almost as good a Defender as TA..only an inch shorter. His offensive game is slightly better than TA, so that would be a plus.

If he comes to us, on offense no team could cheat off of him, especially if he spelled Ray, which is what my assumption is his role would be. In the past, when we put TA in - with him and Rondo in the backcourt, I think we lost some offense there.

Check out these NBA.com stats for Delonte:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/delonte_west/career_stats.html

I don't think we could pay him a lot, but if he agreed to a vet min, then why not?

As much as I love Eddie, I think Delonte could provide us with a little more in the Defensive category, as well as an option that opponents cannot cheat off of when he's in.

Basketball-wise, there is not too many chinks in the man's armor. Offcourt issues? A valid reason for concern, but if Danny can get this done, I think Delonte could reap benefits for us, and I don't see him as being an issue at all on a true contender.

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Do it.

He is almost as good a Defender as TA..only an inch shorter. His offensive game is slightly better than TA, so that would be a plus.

If he comes to us, on offense no team could cheat off of him, especially if he spelled Ray, which is what my assumption is his role would be. In the past, when we put TA in - with him and Rondo in the backcourt, I think we lost some offense there.

I don't think we could pay him a lot, but if he agreed to a vet min, then why not?

As much as I love Eddie, I think Delonte could provide us with a little more in the Defensive category, as well as an option that opponents cannot cheat off of when he's in.

Basketball-wise, there is not too many chinks in the man's armor. Offcourt issues? A valid reason for concern, but if Danny can get this done, I think Delonte could reap benefits for us, and I don't see him as being an issue at all on a true contender.

I think you nail all the issues.

I think there is no question that Minny cuts him, but I think there is a question about whether some other team offers hime money above the minumum.  If so, then he goes there.  If not, ie if teams are only offering him the vet min, which is all boston could offer him, then I think there's a decent chance he comes here, and frankly he is well worth the risk. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2010, 10:39:30 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
Delonte makes a ton of sense.  You could probably acquire him in a straight up swap for Rasheed and he can play the 2 guard backup to Ray Allen.    He has some position versatility as well with Nate Robinson AND Avery Bradley where his ballhandling skills would be a positive.   

No need to Sheed for this. West is getting released. He can be signed for the min.

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Do it.

I think you nail all the issues.

I think there is no question that Minny cuts him, but I think there is a question about whether some other team offers hime money above the minumum.  If so, then he goes there.  If not, ie if teams are only offering him the vet min, which is all boston could offer him, then I think there's a decent chance he comes here, and frankly he is well worth the risk. 

While of course anything is possible, I seriously doubt any team will offer him more than the league minimum given his recent issues and the fact that he will be under a form of house arrest while playing. I think the Celtics are the only team that could pull it off, PR wise, because Boston is the only City whose fans, for the most part, still think fondly of the guy, and would be open to bringing him back. Plus, he would get a good shot at a ring here, and play back into the rotation. I know that Doc liked Delonte a lot when he was here.

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 11:37:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Do it.

"almost as good a defender as TA" is awfully generous.

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He used to be a tough defender at his position, but not really comparable to TA, since he's 2 inches shorter, and can't guard 3 positions. It seemed to me that the off-court issues and riding the pine in Cleveland last year softened him a bit.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:22 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Just so we're clear, I am 100 percent opposed to the expenditure of any asset - including Sheed's contract - for Delonte West and his baggage.

Only if he can be signed for the vet's minimum is he worth a look. Anything else is FAR too high a price for his baggage.

Agreed. He's good value for the minimum. That's it.

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:24 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
First and foremost, I would like to say that I would love Eddie and Delonte back in Green. :) (for cheap that is) $ ;)$

I got online late tonight to start a "In defense of Delonte" post, but respectfully decided to post here as an oldschool CB'er.

So,

Let's not forget-

Delonte was considered the better of the two when he and TA were on our squad, and despite what some may say about his character issues lets consider how he compares to our recently departed wing- (TA) on paper.

*Better shooter from all areas of the court
*BBIQ+
*Passing+
*Ball handling/TO ratio +
*Not quite the Mano y Mano defender, but arguably very good at guarding the 1/2.
*As crazy if not crazier than TA  ;D
*Plays with Heart!: Was at times LeQueen's best teammate on the floor, esp when LeBron quit on his team.
*Same Height, arguably less injury prone
*Wicked cool birth mark
*Red Hair
*Could be had on the cheap, so could save us a bit of $

All jokes aside, I think Delonte could be great in Green and could hopefully play to his full potential here. 

I hope that he is doing well personally, and I don't buy into the media drama too much.  Delonte wasn't shipped out due to character issues here, and I don't remember him being red flagged as a trouble maker since he had to endure the LeQueen debacle.

I understand that the gun charges are serious and seem very damaging to his image, but if anyone should give the guy a second chance it should be the team who drafted him. 

Give the guy a shot!

Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
He used to be a tough defender at his position, but not really comparable to TA, since he's 2 inches shorter, and can't guard 3 positions. It seemed to me that the off-court issues and riding the pine in Cleveland last year softened him a bit.

He wasn't necessarily a bad defender, but even at his best he couldn't have harassed Wade or Kobe like TA did in the playoffs.

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:11 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
There is no guarantee Delonte gets waived.

This is David Khan we are talking about. A guy who picked 3 point guards in the first round of the same draft.

I don't want to try and guess what he is thinking but I bet it ain't logical.

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2010, 01:15:28 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Wow!

Ok - I posted on the main Blog about D-West not being as explosive as TA, but look what I found onn youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGqi3YSucOA

How many people do this to J-Smith?

haha - Smitty looks like someone took his lunch afterwards.