Author Topic: Delonte West  (Read 13600 times)

Re: Delonte West
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
He doesn't fill any need for the Celtics.

We're still looking for defensive size at the wing. That's not Delonte.

We've got our backup point guard. And he's not Delonte.

And we could also use another big or a wing who can create his own shot and finish. Neither of those are Delonte.

I don't get the interest...?

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dthKAiQDt4: Anybody remember this block and assist?

I think he had another similar one on either Yao or Shaq that same season.

Like we've said with so many other headcases: Low Risk, High Reward. Still don't like the limitations of going to his right, though. But,would still take the chance.

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
He busts his tail on both ends of the floor and is a decent shooter.  That's enough for me.  If he misses games it won't be a big deal.  We've got Bradley, Marquis and possibly Eddie, or someone else, to backup the 2 guard spot....Nate might even get some minutes there....

Pretty sure if all the bi-polars in the U.S. stayed home from work tomorrow, the economy would tank......

Could not agree with you any more.

Delonte busts his tail off every night. On Both Ends of the Court. Period.

And on the bi-polar topic, I would just simply guess that most Americans are igorant on the topic. One of my roommates just asked, "well how would you know which Delonte would show up?" He thought bipolar was the same as split personality disorder or schizophrenia. The most conservative estimates are around 1% of the population, or a couple million adult Americans. Almost all of which are able to function normally in society, especially with the help of medication.  I would guarantee that everyone on this blog has a person in their life that is bipolar, but you would never know.

It's not like Delonte wasn't bipolar during his first 3 years here in Boston. He has a proven record of success here.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

And we could also use another big or a wing who can create his own shot and finish. Neither of those are Delonte.

I agree.  However, as I've been saying for weeks, beggars can't be choosers.  

Ideally we'd get some defensive size.  

However, if the choice is going into the season with Daniels and Bradley as the primary backups vs. Daniels and West, I'll take Daniels and West.  

Daniels can guard 3s and West can guard 2s and hit outside shots.  So there are worse things in the world.  

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 06:24:04 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

I agree.  However, as I've been saying for weeks, beggars can't be choosers.  

Ideally we'd get some defensive size.  

However, if the choice is going into the season with Daniels and Bradley as the primary backups vs. Daniels and West, I'll take Daniels and West.  

Daniels can guard 3s and West can guard 2s and hit outside shots.  So there are worse things in the world.  

The Celtics are not beggars. And they must be choosers.

There are plenty of players still unsigned, looking for a place to play, at the vet minimum, and trade opportunities for guys both at that salary level and higher.

With commitments to Rondo, Nate and Quis, Delonte simply isn't useful to us relative to the other options we can pursue and relative to our needs.

It's sort of the opposite situation as the draft. There - you take the BPA. But when filling out your roster - you want to plug holes and find guys to perform certain functions.

Delonte may be the BPA, but he doesn't fit.

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I disagree in that Delonte doesn't fit. I think the ideal 2 guard next to Nate can play the point so that Nate can play off the ball on offense for certain sets. But the 2 guard still needs to be able to defend his position. We're also looking for more shooting and scoring off the bench because those are two things Daniels won't give.

Bench:

Nate / Bradley
Dwest
Daniels
Baby/ Harangody
JO

plus whatever we can get for Sheed's contract (Shaq?).

Has shooters/scorers in Nate and Dwest. Has defense in Dwest and Daniels. Has size inside with JO, scoring inside with Baby and JO. Rebounding inside (Dwest is also a very good rebounder for his size, especially on the offensive glass). Add Shaq as the final piece and I'll take our chances against Miami and LA any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtOirsbw4_Y

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I would not be opposed to Delonte, but I would prefer that we signed a bigger wing to guard the bigger 3's like Kobe and Lebron. I don't think Quis is physically strong enough to guard those guys and would be better suited guarding shooting guards.

However, I do think Delongte plays hard and can spread the defense and defend 2G's. He can also play some point in a bigger lineup with Paul and/or Ray on the floor as well.

I am still hoping we sign either Josh Boone or Kwame Brown and do the S&T for Howard with Sheed's contract.

Delonte is still a much better option for this team than Eddie.

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Too erratic and too slow.  He won't be able to guard a guy like Lebron or D-Wade.  And if you ever have to rely on him to make shots down the stretch, he'll fail more often than he'll succeed.

Right now athletic 2's and 3's are going to be a problem for this team and Delonte doesn't help that situation.  And that's before we even get to his other 'issues'. 

No thanks.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I would not be opposed to Delonte, but I would prefer that we signed a bigger wing to guard the bigger 3's like Kobe and Lebron. I don't think Quis is physically strong enough to guard those guys and would be better suited guarding shooting guards.

However, I do think Delongte plays hard and can spread the defense and defend 2G's. He can also play some point in a bigger lineup with Paul and/or Ray on the floor as well.

I am still hoping we sign either Josh Boone or Kwame Brown and do the S&T for Howard with Sheed's contract.

Delonte is still a much better option for this team than Eddie.

I agree that the Celts should still pursue JHoward and another big.  And Delonte may be a better option than Eddie on the court, but you have to factor in the locker room aspect of it.  Not for nothing but Delonte is a bit of a kook.  
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

He's tough, can shoot the ball and will allow Marquis to slide to the three, making it easier to rest both Ray and Pierce.

Futhermore, assuming the T-pups waive him and Boston signs him to a vet min deal...what would be lost?  A vet min deal for Delonte would not preclude bringing in another wing on a vet min deal or by trading Sheed's contract.  But if neither of those things happen, Boston still has a decent bench player who's certainly got playoff and big game experience.

Ainge and Wyc would have to be completely confident that Delonte won't go crackers during the season, but what would be the downside to getting Delonte on a vet min deal as insurance if nothing else?

Mike

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 07:05:48 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I’d rather have Delonte than House. So thats what i break it down to.

Robinson
West, Bradley
Daniels, Harangody
Davis
(Shaq), Erden

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

He's tough, can shoot the ball and will allow Marquis to slide to the three, making it easier to rest both Ray and Pierce.

Futhermore, assuming the T-pups waive him and Boston signs him to a vet min deal...what would be lost?  A vet min deal for Delonte would not preclude bringing in another wing on a vet min deal or by trading Sheed's contract.  But if neither of those things happen, Boston still has a decent bench player who's certainly got playoff and big game experience.

Ainge and Wyc would have to be completely confident that Delonte won't go crackers during the season, but what would be the downside to getting Delonte on a vet min deal as insurance if nothing else?

Mike

Completely agree with Mike.

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

Mike

unlike your posts about Shaq, I completely agree with you on Delonte. He's a tough, big game player who can help, sign him up.

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Our two main backups that aren't bigs are 6'6 and 5'6. Why wouldn't we have a need for a player like Delonte? I'm not a huge fan, especially with his issues, but he would fill a need for us. I don't know what to expect from Bradley, but who fills in if Rondo or Ray or Nate are out for a few games? West isn't ideal but we could probably use a player like him.

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not a fan of the player. Certainly not a fan of the person.

Don't really think he fits a need for this bench.

But if he's cheap - not a cent above the minimum - then how can you argue? Dude can be cut the first time he acts up.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."