Author Topic: Anyone see TA's comments on being a Celtic?  (Read 21437 times)

Re: Anyone see TA's comments on being a Celtic?
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I didn't even waste my time reading this...  I'm glad he's gone.  Low B-Ball IQ, injury prone, gang-running tool...  I won't miss him for one second and I'm glad he's Memphis' property now...  You think he's gonna win a title there?  HA - hardly...
;D

Sadly, I pretty much agree with everything you just said.

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
What's wrong with a guy wanting the chance to showcase his talents? He already won a title and realizes that there is no opportunity in the foreseeable future as a Celtic to get starters minutes.

He was not always my favorite player but I don't fault the guy for wanting a shot at big minutes.

It is different if an established starter in the league leaves a great team to go to a crappy one for more money. That is greed and ego. This is a case of a guy wanting his turn. He finally has confidence in his game and may turn into the guy we saw for 30 games in 2006 for a whole season. I am rooting for the guy personally.

Sure like Rondo so succinctly said that he wasn't surprised that Tony did what was best for him.  It would be cool though if one NBA player realized his limitations and just said.  I'm satisfied being a key reserve on a talented team. 

OJ Mayo isn't an NBA PG.  What happened to Conley? I remember more than a few posters commenting on him ending being better than Rondo. 
Conley was a guy who floated up mock drafts because there were no other PGs in his draft.

But he can shoot correct?  I get the impression some think that's more important for a PG than actually leading a team. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 11:15:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What's wrong with a guy wanting the chance to showcase his talents? He already won a title and realizes that there is no opportunity in the foreseeable future as a Celtic to get starters minutes.

He was not always my favorite player but I don't fault the guy for wanting a shot at big minutes.

It is different if an established starter in the league leaves a great team to go to a crappy one for more money. That is greed and ego. This is a case of a guy wanting his turn. He finally has confidence in his game and may turn into the guy we saw for 30 games in 2006 for a whole season. I am rooting for the guy personally.

Sure like Rondo so succinctly said that he wasn't surprised that Tony did what was best for him.  It would be cool though if one NBA player realized his limitations and just said.  I'm satisfied being a key reserve on a talented team.  

OJ Mayo isn't an NBA PG.  What happened to Conley? I remember more than a few posters commenting on him ending being better than Rondo.  
Conley was a guy who floated up mock drafts because there were no other PGs in his draft.

But he can shoot correct?  I get the impression some think that's more important for a PG than actually leading a team.  
Straw men are fun, but you really should keep them in threads that are actually about Rondo.

Conley has played pretty well overall in his time in the league showing improvement each year. The problem is more with Mayo not fitting at the 2 than with Conley.

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

Sure like Rondo so succinctly said that he wasn't surprised that Tony did what was best for him.  It would be cool though if one NBA player realized his limitations and just said.  I'm satisfied being a key reserve on a talented team. 

OJ Mayo isn't an NBA PG.  What happened to Conley? I remember more than a few posters commenting on him ending being better than Rondo. 

But he can shoot correct?  I get the impression some think that's more important for a PG than actually leading a team. 
Straw men are fun, but you really should keep them in threads that are actually about Rondo.

Conley has played pretty well overall in his time in the league showing improvement each year. The problem is more with Mayo not fitting at the 2 than with Conley.

I never said anything about Rondo you did, FYI.

Conley wasn't any good when people were mentioning in the same breath as Rondo.  Now I guess he's even worse but, we can always ignore those past comments.  But like I mentioned OJ will never be a good NBA PG. Hopefully we can bring this up like the Conley comments in a few years.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2010, 11:29:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Conley wasn't any good when people were mentioning in the same breath as Rondo.  Now I guess he's even worse but, we can always ignore those past comments.  But like I mentioned OJ will never be a good NBA PG. Hopefully we can bring this up like the Conley comments in a few years.
You really think your allusion wasn't transparent?

What where you talking about then with this comment?
Why play dumb?

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 11:32:30 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

You really think your allusion wasn't transparent?

What where you talking about then with this comment?
Why play dumb?

I wasn't playing dumb,  the comment was pertaining to those think a player like Conley is any good at PG because he can make a 17 fter disregarding the most important attributes of real PG have nothing to do with shooting jumpers.  You extrapolated Rondo into the discussion.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I wasn't playing dumb,  the comment was pertaining to those think a player like Conley is any good at PG because he can make a 17 fter disregarding the most important attributes of real PG have nothing to do with shooting jumpers.  You extrapolated Rondo into the discussion.
Who are these "people" and what sorts of players are they talking about?

What other PGs do they dismiss because they can't shoot? Because the only two potential PGs I can think of are Andre Miller and Rajon Rondo. You're definitely playing dumb if you claim it wasn't a swipe at "detractors" of Rajon Rondo.

Either way it was still a silly straw man, positing an argument for Conley that no one else made in this thread.

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Who are these "people" and what sorts of players are they talking about?

What other PGs do they dismiss because they can't shoot? Because the only two potential PGs I can think of are Andre Miller and Rajon Rondo. You're definitely playing dumb if you claim it wasn't a swipe at "detractors" of Rajon Rondo.

Either way it was still a silly straw man, positing an argument for Conley that no one else made in this thread.

Fair enough you appear to be one of those 'people'  that I was referencing, ironically (thou dost protest too much so to speak) but, this 'strawman' (not even sure that's a correct usage of the term) that I created did indeed take this thread off course.  Sorry about that please continue with the TA comments.

The point though just for clarification (strawman) is that Conley can shoot...lol
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:53:56 AM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What other PGs do they dismiss because they can't shoot? Because the only two potential PGs I can think of are Andre Miller and Rajon Rondo.

Russell Westbrook can't shoot, either. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
What other PGs do they dismiss because they can't shoot? Because the only two potential PGs I can think of are Andre Miller and Rajon Rondo.

Touche Roy, add Westbrook and Earl Watson to the list.

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Touche Roy, add Westbrook and Earl Watson to the list.

Not for nothing, but Conley's not a great shooter. He can hit the three nut he's not that great from inside the arc.

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Do you have a link? I'd love to read it, (TP for your help). It doesn't surprise me at all ... Tony's ego has always gone far beyond his ability, unfortunately, and I can see how he'd be happy to be in a place where he'll get more attention. I don't mean that as a slam, just the way it is.

Thanks Bahku!

For some odd reason, I am only surprised that TA couldn't see that his role on the C's was to be the defensive stop that he is. Not offense, or to be the show of the game. He had his moments, and his best games of his career, but for him to feel that way, when he knows his shooting ability was not THAT great is weird.

I know he's not saying it to slam the big three, or Doc for not putting him in more.. but its quite obvious minutes were a problem for him, and that's why he left.

Sorry, but the words "TA", "shooting ability", and "great" don't belong in the same sentence. Ever. Period.

Seriously though, Tony's slingshot release was/is pathetic. He has no range and isn't even streaky.

Certainly he'll play outside of his strengths (defense and slashing) in Memphis and will cripple his own stock value, not to mention the chemistry in Memphis.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2010, 12:02:39 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i guess the part I find most amusing in all this is that, while a Celtic, Tony terribly lacked confidence.  The guy had the talk and body language of a man who was beaten in the knee caps with a ball bat (oops!! - guess I should be careful saying that in reference to Tony...don't want his posse to get any ideas)...

But all of a sudden, he sounds like a guy who just oozes it...  I don't buy it.  His whole career and game is a mirage.  He seems like a player you really need then suddenly find his game has many holes and deficiencies...

I can only guess he ate a plate of Sal-mon and potatoes before the interview.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2010, 12:38:31 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Good luck to the guy.  I honestly hope it pans out well for him in Memphis.  Obviously, he is looking to be on a team where he can have a more significant role, maybe even have a shot at being more of a team leader.  I think his comments could, to some degree, be taken as a little improper, or poor, word choice, but whatever...best of luck.

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2010, 12:59:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
i guess the part I find most amusing in all this is that, while a Celtic, Tony terribly lacked confidence. 

I think that one of the main reasons he lacked confidence was that so much of his playing time came when he was recovering from injury.