Author Topic: Anyone see TA's comments on being a Celtic?  (Read 21440 times)

Re: Anyone see TA's comments on being a Celtic?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2005/10/tony-allen-and-whataburger-incident.html

They're not "out of left field." They've been discussed frequently on this board.

I'll always be here providing perspective for the Celtics fans who refuse to see the forest for the trees, especially in the instance of a one-trick pony who's been pathologically overrated by Celtics fans on the Internet for a half-dozen years.

The good news is that we can add "Bring Back Tony Allen" threads every summer to the list as some of you pine longingly for the lousy 2007 team.

And all this time I thought Whataburger was a fictional establishment on "King of the Hill". Is there a Megalomart as well. I want to meet Chuck Mangione.

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
The good news is that we can add "Bring Back Tony Allen" threads every summer to the list as some of you pine longingly for the lousy 2007 team.

TP, made me laugh.  :D

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah ... I will miss Tony's game, and especially his defense off the bench ... but if it means an improved career for him and a better fit that will make more of his talents, and help him to mature even more than he did last year, then I'm actually happy for the guy. Sounds like he feels much better about this fit, and that's great for everyone involved ... I hope he soars there.
Nice to see your opinion change after actually reading his comments. Your earlier post was a bit unwarranted.

Tony sounds like a good guy in the article who just wants the chance to be the player he thinks he can be. Good luck to him. He is admirable in that despite wanting some of the spotlight, he is an ideal teammate even when in the coaches doghouse. He is a true team first guy.

There isn't even anything in the article that is anti-Celtics.

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Tony can continue to be a legend in his own mind.  I wouldn't have minded if he came back, but I'm honestly glad he's moved on.  The guy had a couple of mediocre half-seasons here (along with some poor ones), and people act like he's D. Wade.

I'll miss his defense.  I won't miss his turnovers, his utter lack of a jump shot, or his gangland persona.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Tony's gonna surprise people this year.  He'll get 14 and 4 easy while still playing some of the best lock down D in the league.

STAY HEALTHY TA!
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 02:41:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Tony's gonna surprise people this year.  He'll get 14 and 4 easy while still playing some of the best lock down D in the league.

STAY HEALTHY TA!

In how many minutes, though?  And is the "4" the number of turnovers you're expecting?  ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 02:44:48 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Tony's gonna surprise people this year.  He'll get 14 and 4 easy while still playing some of the best lock down D in the league.

STAY HEALTHY TA!

In how many minutes, though?  And is the "4" the number of turnovers you're expecting? 

I don't understand Tony with this shadow thing.  He's still going to be in the shadow in Memphis.  This time instead of it being two aging stars in Paul and Ray its going to be two up and coming stars in Mayo and Gay. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:58:23 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 02:45:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

STAY HEALTHY TA!

In how many minutes, though?  And is the "4" the number of turnovers you're expecting?  ;)
No Roy, that would be the 14!!

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

STAY HEALTHY TA!

No Roy, that would be the 14!!

Haha.  TP.

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Tony's gonna surprise people this year.  He'll get 14 and 4 easy while still playing some of the best lock down D in the league.

STAY HEALTHY TA!
I'm assuming he is expecting the 3 of them to get a lot of minutes at the 1, 2 & 3.

I don't understand Tony with this shadow thing.  He's still going to be in the shadow in Memphis.  This time instead of it being two aging stars in Paul and Ray its going to be two up and coming stars in Mayo and Gay. 
His comments make perfect sense. The press wants to know why he moved. When he is put in front of the press, what do you expect him to do? Just stand there and say nothing?

He was behind Pierce, Ray and Rondo. That is 3 stars. Memphis is not the same.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:03:29 PM by guava_wrench »

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Tony can continue to be a legend in his own mind.  I wouldn't have minded if he came back, but I'm honestly glad he's moved on.  The guy had a couple of mediocre half-seasons here (along with some poor ones), and people act like he's D. Wade.

I'll miss his defense.  I won't miss his turnovers, his utter lack of a jump shot, or his gangland persona.

Co-sign that on all levels.  Pretty much my exact thoughts.

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2010, 01:15:58 AM »

Offline Celticsfan336

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
I was surprised when I saw it, but it makes sense. I just don't get what he meant when he said he has more to his game. He can slash and play defense. If he expects to be the next reggie miller........he gotta get his mind right.

I loved TA's time here in boston...but i think this is a blessing in disguise for both sides....he won't be "overshadowed" (although he will be by the upcoming rudy gay) and the celtics will see Quisy's talent.

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2010, 12:33:27 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Tony said he's just going to let his experience "marinate" among his new teammates.  Love it!  And always loved Tony.

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

STAY HEALTHY TA!

In how many minutes, though?  And is the "4" the number of turnovers you're expecting? 

Completely agree.  He'd be in Pay and Ray's shadow for a much shorter time frame than in Mayo and Gay's.  There's definitely something else going on here
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Tony's quotes about why he left
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This is his quote from the Globe: "I don't mind embracing the role [of defensive stopper], but there is more to my game. Let's not get that twisted." The implication is that he seems to want more minutes/offense, because he felt "overshadowed" here.

Fair enough. But apparently someone forgot to tell him the following facts, all of which make Memphis just about the worst possible choice for a player looking to expand his minutes/touches:
1. He just went from a team that was #2 in the league in assists to the team that was DEAD LAST. Not too many touches there.
2. On his new team, the 2/3 slots are manned by two young, healthy players who averaged 38 and 40 minutes per game last year. Not too many minutes either.
3. Finally, just to cap things off here is what Hollinger says about the three primary options on his new team:
    a. Rudy Gay: "Gay also has developed some serious tunnel vision at the offensive end. Three different times he took more than 20 shots without a single assist; for the year he had the worst pure point rating among small forwards. He assisted on only 7.7% of his possessions, a worse rate than Darko Milicic's or Darrell Arthur's..."
    b. OJ Mayo: "As for the rest of his offensive game … did I mention he can really shoot? Mayo is a good dribbler but rarely evaded defenders or set up teammates. He ranked only 58th among shooting guards in pure point rating..."
    c. Zach Randolph: "The reason Randolph gets in trouble is that he equates points with success and will fire any shot that seems halfway reasonable to him. Consequently, he'll also force the action against double-teams."

Hmmmm. Let's see how that works out.