Author Topic: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??  (Read 13350 times)

Re: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2017, 02:03:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
He won't get Olynyk money. Olynyk is a stretch 4 that scores efficiently and plays decent team defense. That's valuable in today's game. A defensive minded combo guard that can't shoot can found much more easily. MLE is all he is worth in today's offensive minded game.
This is where I see him also. The max he gets from the Celtics is 3/27 with the third year a team option. He has earned rotation minutes because of effort, defense and ball handling. He is not a reliable enough scorer to warrant bigger money.

Terry Rozier may take his job as second unit playmaker  next year if we don't re sign him.

Bigger question is who do we keep between him and Baynes if it comes to that? They may both be in the same salary range.
I don't think it's a Baynes or Smart situation.  We have no bird rights to Baynes iirc so we have to pay him with an exception(MLE most likely) or cap money.  we have no cap room next year so unless he takes the MLE to return, he's gone.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't command that much next season.  Smart is someone we can resign without cap interference.

Baynes' situation is actually super interesting.

Look forward to seeing what Danny does with him.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 06:31:23 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
DA could always sign Smart to a Bradley or Crowder kind of contract and ship him out for assets.

Yes, sign him for a 4/30 contract or something. If the situation turnes out that we still need him as a bench player we keep him and otherwise you trade him and possibly get a valuable asset.

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He won't get Olynyk money. Olynyk is a stretch 4 that scores efficiently and plays decent team defense. That's valuable in today's game. A defensive minded combo guard that can't shoot can found much more easily. MLE is all he is worth in today's offensive minded game.
This is where I see him also. The max he gets from the Celtics is 3/27 with the third year a team option. He has earned rotation minutes because of effort, defense and ball handling. He is not a reliable enough scorer to warrant bigger money.

Terry Rozier may take his job as second unit playmaker  next year if we don't re sign him.

Bigger question is who do we keep between him and Baynes if it comes to that? They may both be in the same salary range.
I don't think it's a Baynes or Smart situation.  We have no bird rights to Baynes iirc so we have to pay him with an exception(MLE most likely) or cap money.  we have no cap room next year so unless he takes the MLE to return, he's gone.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't command that much next season.  Smart is someone we can resign without cap interference.

Baynes' situation is actually super interesting.

Look forward to seeing what Danny does with him.

I wish we just signed Baynes to a 2 or 3 year deal so we could use the exception on someone else if we wanted to.

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2017, 10:50:54 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
At some point this year, one of our three rotation bigs will be out for a few games, and Yabusele will get to play. I'm confident that he can do anything Baynes can do and more. He just needs half a year of rotation experience to get there. I'm not worried about Baynes. I'm more worried about Theis, who I think is already better in many circumstances.

Marcus will not be here next year. He has two roles on this team. He serves as the second team point guard, and he also serves as the 5th guy with the starters in certain spots, particularly at the end of games.

He is useless as the second team point guard, because he does not have the ability to create with any consistency, he cannot shoot when covered, and he is not a particularly good decision maker.

He is quite useful as the 5th guy with the starters. He servers as a secondary ball handler, but he doesn't have responsibility to break down the defense. Teams cheat off him, and when he gets a shot, he's much more open. He's the last option, and his primary role is to be opportunistic off the ball, which is his one elite offensive skill.

Unfortunately, that just isn't enough to pay the man good middle class NBA wages. He needs to do both to stay ready, and he is so bad as the second team point guard that he will inevitably lose that role whenever the team comes up with a viable option, which is inevitable.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:13:28 AM by td450 »

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2017, 10:54:53 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Boston will have Baynes Non-Bird Right's this summer, which means we can pay him up to 120% of his current salary while going over the cap. This equates to a little over $5 mil.

I'm not sure what the market for Baynes will be, but I'm not sure why we should expect to have to pay him that much more than are currently. It's not like he all of a sudden became a better player. The Baynes we are getting is who he has been for a few years now.

As for Smart, I'm beginning to think that unless he signs for money similar to his QO he's gone.  I have no doubts Wyc will pay the lux tax when the time comes, but I'm not sure Smart is worth paying it to keep around. That just means they'd have to pay the repeater tax one year earlier when the tax will be unavoidable.

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
1. I just dont know what teams are going to look at marcus smart, a guard who for all his defensive prowess and energy shoots 25% is going to say "lets sign that guy to big $$ to play a large role" Unless you have other guys who can score the rock he doesnt add much value to a team as say....avery bradley does who can provide shooting along with his defense.

HOWEVER, with hayward coming back, another year of development for tatum and possibly another high draft pick the C's will have to weight how much marcus is worth. likely your end game lineup will be kyrie/jaylen/tatum/morris/horford....you still have rozier. is marcus worth paying large $$ to be a defensive roleplayer off the bench?

without the injury to hayward, I wonder how many minutes marcus would be getting right now?

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't think smart will get a ton in RFA, but I suspect he will get more in the Celtics are going to pay for him.  Right now the Celtics crunch time lineup is Irving, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Horford.  When Hayward comes back one of those crunch-time spots is going to go to Hayward.  So the question is who does Haywood replace in the money line up?  And I think Smart is the odd man out in that situation and that's why he's not going to get the money from Boston.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:57:27 PM by OldSchoolDude »

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2017, 07:37:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I really think a major factor in Smart returning under contract will be if the LA pick conveys. If it does thiis team is going to have a special rookie that they will have to pay $5-6 million per year too. Ainge may have to look at doing everything he can to stay out of the luxury tax and a rookie might be a better investment than Smart.

This sounds about right.

Though if Smart's value IS going down around the league and you can keep him for say, 4/40M or less... I think Danny wouldn't mind keeping him and going over the tax if needed.

But obviously if he gets overpaid elsewhere, so be it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If Smart shoots like this for a few more games, he might not even get more than 4/32M to be honest...  :P

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's crazy. I don't remember a rotation player on a good team shooting below 30% from the field in modern NBA history. But, at the same time, these articles are coming out about how incredibly his impact is on winning despite his scoring, so his profile is as high as its ever been.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he got $16 mil a year or $6 mil a year.

EDIT: Especially when you think about how creative some teams have gotten with their contracts. Could Marcus get something like what JJ Redick got last summer? A young team looking for veteran mentorship (in this case for defense, whereas Redick was brought in for offense) who gives Marcus a big, one or two year deal just to establish culture?

Anyway, nothing would surprise me at this point.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It's crazy. I don't remember a rotation player on a good team shooting below 30% from the field in modern NBA history. But, at the same time, these articles are coming out about how incredibly his impact is on winning despite his scoring, so his profile is as high as its ever been.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he got $16 mil a year or $6 mil a year.
His shooting percentages should go up a bit, but they will certainly be awful.

I think the playoffs are gonna have a huge impact on his contract. He could get the Biyombo bump.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
20 games ago, I thought Marcus was getting north of $20m per year. Now I think he's getting $12-15. Man his offense is bad. Really bad.

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
PAY THE MAN 20M+ A YEAR!!

:laugh:  ;)

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2017, 10:57:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Seriously, if Smart shot within himself, didn't shoot the three pointer as much because he is poor at it, and paased well out of the pick and roll like he did tonight, besides doing the great defense and rebounding that he does, he would be a $17-20 million a year player.

But tonight is an aberration. Tonight is not who Marcus Smart is, unfortunately.

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2017, 11:52:19 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Seriously, if Smart shot within himself, didn't shoot the three pointer as much because he is poor at it, and paased well out of the pick and roll like he did tonight, besides doing the great defense and rebounding that he does, he would be a $17-20 million a year player.

But tonight is an aberration. Tonight is not who Marcus Smart is, unfortunately.

I just don't see a team with that much cap space blowing it on Smart. It's not too far off from signing a young player to near-max. No way. The handful of teams with that kind of space will be looking to spend it on stars or potential stars, not role players.

Smart would have to convince some GM he is a near-star player, which I guess I'm pretty sure he isn't. The offensive tools aren't there, not just the shooting % or the 3-ball. His handle is average for a guard, doesn't finish well enough at the rrim in traffic to be an effective slasher, and doesn't have enough of a 1st step to beat his defender (without a good pick) enough to get a decent look at a jumper.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:11:34 AM by More Banners »