Author Topic: So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?  (Read 11700 times)

Re: So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 06:20:20 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The clippers now look like they have a reasonable chance at making the playoffs and giving us their pick (I had assumed it was dead when they traded Harris)

The Clippers are the most fun team to watch in the NBA right now. I've been trying to call them 'This Year's Punk Rock Celtics" but nobody is getting on board.

It sounds like something Bill Simmons would say.  That's not going to sell well around here.  Bill Simmons is the worst.

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 06:47:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The clippers now look like they have a reasonable chance at making the playoffs and giving us their pick (I had assumed it was dead when they traded Harris)

The Clippers are the most fun team to watch in the NBA right now. I've been trying to call them 'This Year's Punk Rock Celtics" but nobody is getting on board.

I'll join in with anything punk rock related on this board and LA has by far the best punk scene...so I'm in - the Clippers are this year's punk rock Celtics. It's official  :P

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 07:03:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'll join in with anything punk rock related on this board and LA has by far the best punk scene...so I'm in - the Clippers are this year's punk rock Celtics. It's official  :P

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Trade all four for Zion

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2019, 09:22:41 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
TP to Clay.

I had no idea Memphis were in a dogfight with Dallas. But don't we need both Washington AND New Orleans to finish higher?

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I remember a while back before the Gasol trade Grizz did want that pick conveyed this year if possible.

They do but they also already shut down Jaren Jackson Jr., and Conley might be seeing reduced minutes or rest days soon. Already had a rest day this past week.

They’re still often collapsing with the lead in crunch time, so no better than 8th worst record (30% chance of conveying, as listed by OP) IMO. #9 Charlotte has 29 wins, #10 has 30.

Conley just played a team high 35 minutes and scored 40 points to beat Portland and was in the game in crunch time. Not seeing evidence as of now of them limiting his minutes. They are very close to being able to give their pick away, trading conley this offseason and doing a hard tank next year to get someone to pair with jackson (and whatever they get for conley). That seems like a much smoother path...

I just wouldn't be surprised to see them to start having him play low 20s once they're officially eliminated from playoff contention. Or at least sit out a few SEGABABA (3 remaining).

Plus, they're really 4 games back from #9 since Charlotte holds the H2H 2-0 with 16 games to go.

Some tough games left along with cupcakes: GSW x2, Jazz, HOU, POR, OKC, Clippers.
Coin flip games: MIN, DET, ORL x2
Awful teams: WAS, DAL x2, ATL, PHO

Also, they still have inexplicable losses sprinkled in between good wins. That OKC game 3/3 was an awful choke, typical of their season. Loss 2/27 vs. CHI was also a horrible display of ugly offense. Hard to see them winning enough to overtake ... the CLE loss 2/23 was one of the worst games I've watched this year. 

8th and 30% is likely, 9th looks extremely unlikely IMO

No, not really. Head to head records only matter for playoff seedings, not lottery position. If two teams have the same record, the ping pong balls are divided equally between the two, and a coin flip decides which team has the higher pre-lottery position
I'm bitter.

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 10:03:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I remember a while back before the Gasol trade Grizz did want that pick conveyed this year if possible.

They do but they also already shut down Jaren Jackson Jr., and Conley might be seeing reduced minutes or rest days soon. Already had a rest day this past week.

They’re still often collapsing with the lead in crunch time, so no better than 8th worst record (30% chance of conveying, as listed by OP) IMO. #9 Charlotte has 29 wins, #10 has 30.

Conley just played a team high 35 minutes and scored 40 points to beat Portland and was in the game in crunch time. Not seeing evidence as of now of them limiting his minutes. They are very close to being able to give their pick away, trading conley this offseason and doing a hard tank next year to get someone to pair with jackson (and whatever they get for conley). That seems like a much smoother path...

I just wouldn't be surprised to see them to start having him play low 20s once they're officially eliminated from playoff contention. Or at least sit out a few SEGABABA (3 remaining).

Plus, they're really 4 games back from #9 since Charlotte holds the H2H 2-0 with 16 games to go.

Some tough games left along with cupcakes: GSW x2, Jazz, HOU, POR, OKC, Clippers.
Coin flip games: MIN, DET, ORL x2
Awful teams: WAS, DAL x2, ATL, PHO

Also, they still have inexplicable losses sprinkled in between good wins. That OKC game 3/3 was an awful choke, typical of their season. Loss 2/27 vs. CHI was also a horrible display of ugly offense. Hard to see them winning enough to overtake ... the CLE loss 2/23 was one of the worst games I've watched this year. 

8th and 30% is likely, 9th looks extremely unlikely IMO

No, not really. Head to head records only matter for playoff seedings, not lottery position. If two teams have the same record, the ping pong balls are divided equally between the two, and a coin flip decides which team has the higher pre-lottery position

Whoops, TP thank you lol. Should have remembered that after the Jazz/C's coin flip loss in 2014 Marcus Smart draft.  :D

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2019, 10:59:18 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
At the 6th spot (where they are now) there is only a 3.8% chance on conveying this year, at 7th its 14.2 and at 8th its 39.2%. Right now the Wizards and Dallas are closest in the win column at 27 wins compared with the Grizzlies 26. Dallas is clearly tanking and I think will pass the Grizz, however the Wizards are actually 5-5 in their last ten and haven't shown much to make you believe they are tanking. Everyone else is up in the 30 ish win range/ and or chasing the playoffs so its hard to believe the Grizz will fall to 9th. Even if they went 500 the rest of the way (unlikely) those other teams would need to go like 3-13 to pass them. So in other words the grizz are likely 6-8th with 7th most likely.

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2019, 11:11:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's probably better that the Memphis pick doesn't convey this summer, as this year's draft is rather lame.

Hopefully we can take their pick in a stronger draft.

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2019, 11:45:40 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Trade all four for Zion

What team picking first would have the balls to take our offer over just selecting Zion Williamson?

That GM would be drawn and quartered by the fan base and national media. Try selling that plan to the local sorts talk radio circuit.

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 12:23:09 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2019, 12:28:44 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Trade all four for Zion

Add in Tatum and they'll think about it  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2019, 02:12:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Trade all four for Zion

Add in Tatum and they'll think about it  8)
For about 2 seconds.

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Sekou Doumbouya will be 18 until December. He is already 6'9'' with a reported 6'11'' wingspan. He is also 210 pounds of muscle with a good frame to fill out to 230-240 pounds.

He has long strides and really good athleticism (not elite bounciness, but overall really good).

He's projected to go 10-15. Depending on how his measurements end up, how his season ends up, and private workouts, he is the kind of high upside guy I could see as a good fit.

In that case, combining the picks to move up to 8-10 might be a way it plays out.

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2019, 12:54:49 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Memphis is coming people