Author Topic: Roster Likely Set - Expected Home Stretch Rotation  (Read 5116 times)

Roster Likely Set - Expected Home Stretch Rotation
« on: April 18, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
It seems to me that with Parker, the roster is now set for the home stretch of the regular season and the playoffs.  Unlike many of the top teams, due to all the changes and injuries, we understandably don't really have a set rotation.  To me, this is a perfect opportunity for fan speculation.

Basketball isn't hockey, so there are not set lines, everything gets mixed and matched through out the game but some players need to start and some need to come off the bench.  This is what I would like to see:

Starters:
Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Thompson

That leaves Pritchard, Langford, Fournier, Parker, and RWill to be the #2s at each position and Edwards, Nesmith, Ojeleye, GWill, and Kornet to be the #3s.

I prefer Thompson over RWill as the "starter".  I think his more blue collar skill set is more what this unit needs.  He has the experience and I believe will be more reliable than RWill.  I feel that RWill will play comparable minutes but coming off the bench should suit his skill set better.  He can be a little more of the focus on offense than would make sense with the starting unit.

I am not crazy about having Tatum as our PF but since we don't really have PF, that is just what we need to do.

Re: Roster Likely Set - Expected Home Stretch Rotation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think RWIII will be the starter with Thompson off the bench when available. Do we have any idea if Fournier will ever play again?

Bench guys that are useable are Pritchard, Fournier (if he ever plays), Langford, Grant Williams, Jabari Parker and Kornet.

Maybe Ojeleye gets occasional minutes when needed.

All the others can be cheerleaders because they don't belong out there unless there are under 5 minutes in the game and we are up by 30.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 01:40:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It seems to me that with Parker, the roster is now set for the home stretch of the regular season and the playoffs.  Unlike many of the top teams, due to all the changes and injuries, we understandably don't really have a set rotation.  To me, this is a perfect opportunity for fan speculation.

Basketball isn't hockey, so there are not set lines, everything gets mixed and matched through out the game but some players need to start and some need to come off the bench.  This is what I would like to see:

Starters:
Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Thompson

That leaves Pritchard, Langford, Fournier, Parker, and RWill to be the #2s at each position and Edwards, Nesmith, Ojeleye, GWill, and Kornet to be the #3s.

I prefer Thompson over RWill as the "starter".  I think his more blue collar skill set is more what this unit needs.  He has the experience and I believe will be more reliable than RWill.  I feel that RWill will play comparable minutes but coming off the bench should suit his skill set better.  He can be a little more of the focus on offense than would make sense with the starting unit.

I am not crazy about having Tatum as our PF but since we don't really have PF, that is just what we need to do.
barring health issues for Timelord, I suspect he'll be starting with TT off the bench.   other than that, I figure what you've laid out for starters and backups is what we'll see.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
My starting preference would be:

Walker
Brown
Fournier (assuming he is healthy)
Tatum
R. Williams
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 02:19:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Starters:
Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Thompson

+1

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Fournier's going to get starter minutes as 6th man, so most likely Langford's going to be more in the deep bench group with Kornet and Semi/GW. The Edwards, Nesmith, and the rest are DNP-CD until next season.

Parker's played 24 -27 mpg the last 4 years until he got buried on SAC's bench. He's scored roughly 20 points per 36 minutes but should be able to get 8-12 points regularly if he sees 18 mpg. He's strictly a PF now because of his mobility, so GW's going to play fewer minutes there.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 04:01:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Fournier's going to get starter minutes as 6th man, so most likely Langford's going to be more in the deep bench group with Kornet and Semi/GW. The Edwards, Nesmith, and the rest are DNP-CD until next season.

Parker's played 24 -27 mpg the last 4 years until he got buried on SAC's bench. He's scored roughly 20 points per 36 minutes but should be able to get 8-12 points regularly if he sees 18 mpg. He's strictly a PF now because of his mobility, so GW's going to play fewer minutes there.

It'll be interesting to see how Grant is affected. He seems to clearly be the favorite of Stevens between him and Ojeleye. I think Grant will still see time, but more like 6-7 minutes at PF and 6-7 minutes at C. That will thankfully push Kornet completely out of the rotation in a use only in case of emergency role.

I do like that we seem to have a solid 1-2 punch at every position now - all with different strengths. Obviously I'd still love to have Theis, but we should be all set at C as long as TT and TL can remain healthy.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 03:30:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It'll be interesting to see how Grant is affected. He seems to clearly be the favorite of Stevens between him and Ojeleye. I think Grant will still see time, but more like 6-7 minutes at PF and 6-7 minutes at C. That will thankfully push Kornet completely out of the rotation in a use only in case of emergency role.

I do like that we seem to have a solid 1-2 punch at every position now - all with different strengths. Obviously I'd still love to have Theis, but we should be all set at C as long as TT and TL can remain healthy.
You’ve got two solid NBA vets (Fournier and Parker) coming in, so I definitely expect to see less minutes for Grant and Langford and possibly Semi as well.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 03:43:45 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
One thing I disagree with OP on is RW. The team has just been better since he was inserted in the starting lineup. More energy, more easy buckets. And RW has been productive, save the disaster against Embiid.

Is Thompson the distraction that hindered this team for 3 months? Half the time I expect to look at game threads to see he's in covid protocols again. What the OP says about TT and RW makes sense on paper, but the fact is that TT hasn't translated to the floor very often.

JMO, Langford's minutes aren't going down as we get to the playoffs. He's shown the makings of a defensive ace, and IMO, if we're going to make a deep run, we're going to need him to play well.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Naw... my guess is that Gwill will be part of the regular rotation

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 04:13:40 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think the starters are pretty set

Kemba
Smart
JB
JT
Timelord (assuming health)

The bench is going to be plug and play depending on matchups. Only guarantees on the bench right now are Pritchard, Fournier, and TT. The rest will ebb and flow based of matchups. Think we’ll see minutes for all for Langford/Parker/G Williams. Might get more Parker in games where they need offensive spark. Maybe more Langford/Williams in some games where they need more defense.

The rest of the bench  will be DNP-CD for the rest of the year and barring something crazy like another covid outbreak/injuries.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 04:16:01 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Walker
Brown
Tatum
R. Williams

I would prefer this lineup as well. My only reservation is how this will effect Marcus Smart, especially with the influence he has on the team. How will Smart feel if Fournier is on the floor at the end of a close game, instead of himself?

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 06:47:34 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
From his behavior this and past seasons, this might be Steven's rotation...

Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Robert

Starting Robert is not guaranteed, but, Robert will be the starter eventually, thus "starter's playoff minutes" sounds reasonable. Not sure about Embiid though...not sure at all.

To finish the Centers, Thompson has been getting half the center's minutes.

Fournier is such a good addition as he gets 6th man minutes at wingah.

The above 7 players will be at "maximum minutes" for Brad.

Now for the scorching debate on who is going to get 10 or 11 minutes depending on matchups. Their MPG this season is listed and obviously will diminish in the playoffs....

Grant (18:58) gets minutes don't ask me ask Brad.
Semi (17:43)  gets minutes because he always gets them because he doesn't lose games.
Pritchard (18:46) can hit threes, but Fournier can also so we'll see.
Langford (13:10)  Brad gives him minutes, not sure how many here.

Then there are "Jabari and Luke" which sounds enough like a Star Wars sequel for them to win a game 5 against Philly or something.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 06:58:09 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

Walker
Brown
Tatum
R. Williams

I would prefer this lineup as well. My only reservation is how this will effect Marcus Smart, especially with the influence he has on the team. How will Smart feel if Fournier is on the floor at the end of a close game, instead of himself?

I see no possibility of Smart leaving the 'closer' position. That's when d# matters the most and one of the few moments he will be surrounded by 3 or 4 good scorers

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 10:48:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Walker
Brown
Tatum
R. Williams

I see no possibility of Smart leaving the 'closer' position. That's when d# matters the most and one of the few moments he will be surrounded by 3 or 4 good scorers
If we are talking about closing it should be based on match ups and need. I would rotate Smart, Kemba, and Fournier based on match up and situation. Only locks for closing for me are Brown and Tatum.