Author Topic: Kevin Porter Jr  (Read 19297 times)

Re: Kevin Porter Jr
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2021, 11:33:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
... and would instantly be a rotation piece with a chance to grow into more.

He wasn’t instantly a rotation piece in Houston, the worst team in the league. He’s played a total of two games there, and zero for Cleveland this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2021, 11:54:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
... and would instantly be a rotation piece with a chance to grow into more.

He wasn’t instantly a rotation piece in Houston, the worst team in the league. He’s played a total of two games there, and zero for Cleveland this season.
That is because he is a head case nut job that needed some time to adjust.  But he will be in Houston's rotation the rest of the season unless he has another meltdown.  And I get the meltdown is a real risk, but the talent is unquestioned.  That is why it was worth the risk at the cost.  He cost nothing, so if he has a meltdown, you cut him and move on, but if he doesn't you get a rotation (at worst) level player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2021, 07:56:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Are people seriously upset about missing out on this guy? Hilarious
I just think it was a missed opportunity to add an immensely talented player at basically no cost or no risk.  Those are the types of moves that can pay huge dividends in the long run and is worth the risk (and isn't hindsight as you can see my posts in this thread about wanting to get him before he was even cut).  Porter is a clear head case, but he also has huge talent and would instantly be a rotation piece with a chance to grow into more.  Absolutely worth the risk.
I don't think messing with the locker-room poses no risk. Our team currently has a strong chemistry, and to potentially derail that by adding a headcase (something that our team has suffered from recently) isn't worth it.

Also not sure where this notion of huge talent comes from. He's an inefficient scoring guard who plays inconsistent defence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2021, 08:04:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I just think it was a missed opportunity to add an immensely talented player at basically no cost or no risk.  Those are the types of moves that can pay huge dividends in the long run and is worth the risk (and isn't hindsight as you can see my posts in this thread about wanting to get him before he was even cut).  Porter is a clear head case, but he also has huge talent and would instantly be a rotation piece with a chance to grow into more.  Absolutely worth the risk.
I don't think messing with the locker-room poses no risk. Our team currently has a strong chemistry, and to potentially derail that by adding a headcase (something that our team has suffered from recently) isn't worth it.

Also not sure where this notion of huge talent comes from. He's an inefficient scoring guard who plays inconsistent defence

Yeah.  He was a lousy cancer at USC.  A lousy cancer in Cleveland.  And then, people wanted to add him to a Celtics team that had lost 14 of 21 games.  The idea of adding a ticking time bomb to a team that was in crisis at the time sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea.

But, he chucked up 18 shots in his last game, so it's yet another black mark on Ainge's record.  It cracks me up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Porter Jr Starting for Houston tonight. Interesting 🤔
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2021, 09:25:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

He was a 5-Star recruit.  Rivals had him as the 16th best player in his class.  He was the top rated player in the state of Washington.  The pre-draft reports all said his talent was immense, but he fell because he was suspended at USC (though he did finish out the season with the team and playing).  And he certainly wasn't an inefficient scorer at USC and showed decent potential as a rookie for the Cavs last year.  He has good size, solid passer, with elite athleticism.  He clearly has some mental issues.  But when it costs you nothing but a roster spot to acquire him, you can cut him almost immediately the minute he acts up.  That is why the risk was so little. 

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2021, 09:47:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Really wishing we had him now!

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2021, 09:50:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Lighting it up. 

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2021, 10:22:52 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
3-12, that's Carsenesque for sure  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2021, 10:26:53 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
This has to be the longest thread for a non-Celtic who won’t earn anything other than minimum deals when his rookie contract is over.

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2021, 10:36:58 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This has to be the longest thread for a non-Celtic who won’t earn anything other than minimum deals when his rookie contract is over.

If there is one thing I've learn watching the NBA is that someone will always over pay.

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2021, 10:47:45 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

If there is one thing I've learn watching the NBA is that someone will always over pay.

I think the minimum will be overpaying for someone who’s chucks like a G-Leaguer.

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2021, 11:09:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Absolutely.  Right now, he is better than Edwards, Langford, Green, Nesmith, G. Williams, Waters, Fall, and maybe even Teague and Pritchard (he is a much better passer than Pritchard though obviously hasn't shot well).  And he is way more top end potential than Ojeleye and Pritchard (so even if he isn't better now, he will be in the future unless he mentally implodes).  He'd also be the youngest player on the roster as he is about 6 months younger than Nesmith.  A bad shooting game doesn't change any of that analysis at all, especially when he had 7 assists showing off decent passing skills yet again. 

And to be clear, I don't think Porter would change Boston's tier at all this year, and maybe not ever, but he certainly has far more potential than most of the roster and when you can get those players for literally nothing, you should take the risk.  Ainge, however, is risk averse.  I would never expect him to take that sort of flyer on a player, because he never takes those sorts of risk.  We've seen it with established stars (like Cousins) and rookies.  Ainge doesn't take risks.  he only makes a move he knows he will win, at least recently.  He hasn't taken a real chance in years.

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2021, 11:17:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Absolutely.  Right now, he is better than Edwards, Langford, Green, Nesmith, G. Williams, Waters, Fall, and maybe even Teague and Pritchard (he is a much better passer than Pritchard though obviously hasn't shot well).  And he is way more top end potential than Ojeleye and Pritchard (so even if he isn't better now, he will be in the future unless he mentally implodes).  He'd also be the youngest player on the roster as he is about 6 months younger than Nesmith.  A bad shooting game doesn't change any of that analysis at all, especially when he had 7 assists showing off decent passing skills yet again. 

And to be clear, I don't think Porter would change Boston's tier at all this year, and maybe not ever, but he certainly has far more potential than most of the roster and when you can get those players for literally nothing, you should take the risk.  Ainge, however, is risk averse.  I would never expect him to take that sort of flyer on a player, because he never takes those sorts of risk.  We've seen it with established stars (like Cousins) and rookies.  Ainge doesn't take risks.  he only makes a move he knows he will win, at least recently.  He hasn't taken a real chance in years.

1.  Goukii was being sarcastic;

2.  Every single GM of a team remotely in playoff contention passed on him.  None of them thought he was worth even a second rounder. That’s because you do not take flyers on fringe NBA players who are known for one thing: being cancerous.

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2021, 01:38:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

1.  Goukii was being sarcastic;

2.  Every single GM of a team remotely in playoff contention passed on him.  None of them thought he was worth even a second rounder. That’s because you do not take flyers on fringe NBA players who are known for one thing: being cancerous.
Yeah, we don't need someone with his kind of overinflated sense of "I deserve shots"