Author Topic: Kevin Porter Jr  (Read 19459 times)

Re: Kevin Porter Jr
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2021, 08:48:55 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Maybe it's just his immaturity, but I don't have a good feeling about this kid.
Talent is there for sure.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2021, 08:50:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For one day it was like James Harden was back in Houston.

Kevin Porter Jr: 50/5/11

It would be crazy if he could reach that level more often, his playing style is actually a lot like Harden.
Terrence Ross had a 50 point night in his career when he was younger lol. I think he has some promising on-ball skills, but he's still almost 4 points behind league average scoring efficiency as a medium volume scorer. Definitely has potential though.
Brandon Jennings....shoot first PG....dropped a 55/5/5 stat line in one game his rookie year. He was a bit of a head case too. He too was a very inefficient chucker of a player but still had a nice 8-9 year career.

Is that what Porter Jr could be? Both seemed to be okay passers and bad three point shooter, so maybe? I'm not sure. He is more efficient than Jennings(though still inefficient) and has a different body than Jennings, but their player arcs could be the same. Only time will tell.

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2021, 11:26:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The current state of the Rockets creates a perfect scenario for this type of game.  That said, 50 pts is still impressive.  I have to admit that I am surprised, even under the circumstances.  I would not have predicted he would have a 50 pt game or even a 30 pt game.

It was smart for Houston to take a chance on him.  They are a team that doesn't even want to win and doesn't really care about the locker room culture or anything for this season.  The team was blown up so nothing is left but a bomb creator anyway.  The Celtics and most other teams are a completely different situation.

Porter is showing that he at least has a chance to figure it out and become a stable NBA player.  Good for him.  He is making something of what was probably his last opportunity.  It could still go two ways; one is straight to his head where he starts having an inflated view of himself and the other is that he realizes that he better keep working hard if he wants to stick around.

I would say he is not over the hump just yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:40:53 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Porter shoots too many 3's, but his 2PT% is 51.4% and he is a respectable enough foul shooter at 76.8%.  He has also shown pretty decent passing skills.  Clearly has all sorts of off the court problems, but he is clearly a talented player and he is just 20 still (at least for a few more days).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2021, 01:32:07 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Porter shoots too many 3's, but his 2PT% is 51.4% and he is a respectable enough foul shooter at 76.8%.  He has also shown pretty decent passing skills.  Clearly has all sorts of off the court problems, but he is clearly a talented player and he is just 20 still (at least for a few more days).
His 2 point shooting is buoyed by strong rim finishing and his FT% isn't that good for a guard (think the average for guards is the early 80s in FT shooting). I think his main skills are on-ball scoring that can pressure the rim and draw fouls while being able to pass after drawing defensive attention from his drives, which has decent value on poor to average teams but gets less and less valuable the better his teammates are. Certainly an NBA player, but I'm not too sold on his path to stardom unless he explodes as a scorer or passer (or both) assuming he won't be adding off-ball skills like cutting, extra passing and defence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2021, 11:28:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
His 2 point shooting is buoyed by strong rim finishing and his FT% isn't that good for a guard (think the average for guards is the early 80s in FT shooting). I think his main skills are on-ball scoring that can pressure the rim and draw fouls while being able to pass after drawing defensive attention from his drives, which has decent value on poor to average teams but gets less and less valuable the better his teammates are. Certainly an NBA player, but I'm not too sold on his path to stardom unless he explodes as a scorer or passer (or both) assuming he won't be adding off-ball skills like cutting, extra passing and defence.
Oh I don't think he will be a star, don't think anyone would think that.  But I do think he'd be a pretty useful player on Boston's bench providing some scoring punch.  I'd rather have the full Trade Exception, Theis, and Porter than Fournier.  That was the better value play, imo.  Of course, I never liked the Fournier trade without a follow-up trade of Smart (as they are only keeping 1 going forward).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip