Author Topic: Trading J Sullinger now would be a big mistake  (Read 7079 times)

Re: Trading J Sullinger now would be a big mistake
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I personally do not feel that Danny Ainge thinks Sullinger is going to be a star. Jared is definitely not untradeable.

THIS ^ He has potential to be a star but we are in win RIGHT NOW mode. Sullinger is not only tradeable, but i think danny won't have much issue shipping him for the right guy. I don't think he will even hesitate to trade him for a guy like cousins.

I wonder, is Cousins a "win now" move?  If our goal is to win in the immediate future, would we be better off pursuing a guy like Gortat, and perhaps keeping Avery Bradley?

I think a move for Cousins would probably be more for the future than the present, as the team would be committing to a Rondo / Cousins core.  I think that Avery Bradley is an important "win now" piece, but he'd almsot certainly have to be traded.
I think Cousins' value / impact would grow considerably if on a team like the Celtics with (1) a point guard like Rondo to create more high percentage shot attempts for Cousins (2) a defensive anchor like Garnett and a good team defense alongside Cousins.

I think his value (this season) would be comparable to a Varejao or Gortat. I also think Cousins could be more valuable against Miami (specifically) than either of those players because of his offensive game. His ability to score in the paint would cause Miami's small ball lineups all types of problems. I think Cousins would be much more likely to force Miami to go big and matchup against Boston because of the threat he presents offensively.

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I personally do not feel that Danny Ainge thinks Sullinger is going to be a star. Jared is definitely not untradeable.

THIS ^ He has potential to be a star but we are in win RIGHT NOW mode. Sullinger is not only tradeable, but i think danny won't have much issue shipping him for the right guy. I don't think he will even hesitate to trade him for a guy like cousins.

I wonder, is Cousins a "win now" move?  If our goal is to win in the immediate future, would we be better off pursuing a guy like Gortat, and perhaps keeping Avery Bradley?

I think a move for Cousins would probably be more for the future than the present, as the team would be committing to a Rondo / Cousins core.  I think that Avery Bradley is an important "win now" piece, but he'd almsot certainly have to be traded.

Oh yeah definitely. I'm just entertaining this trade idea. Id definitely rather get gortat and keep bradley if we can pull that off.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Love Sully's game , I'd say when it comes to getting COusins makes Sully expendable to a point . Bit of redundancy .

No way I'd trade Sully for Gortat.

He might be part of a deal for Varejao .

SO I think Danny is ok with letting Sully go ....what concerns me is who else is he throwing in to the deal for Cousins.

I would hope it would be some combo BASS/Lee/Green/Barbosa/Wilcox

But you know they will want Melo /AB /or ROndo.

Just can't give up our starting backcourt.  That will make beating the Heat even tuffer

IMO..Having Cousins and AB would really give us a chance in a series with the HEAT.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:28:12 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 01:39:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think he can have a bigger impact if the Celtics force him down low on offense. 

He, more then any other of them, will pull defenses away from the other shooters.  If a guy like Lee can find his shot, Cousins opens up room for him.  He will even likely open a little more room for Pierce and KG. 

More importantly, Cousins in the low post is the type of offensive player that could force the Heat out of a small lineup.

Defensively, yes, he is going to be a project.  But his size and rebounding will be a plus. 

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm thinking about Sully, his rebounding grit and smart play (esp. in passing out of the post/swing passes and cuts).  Is his upside Barkleyesque?

I'm not eager to trade anybody who can impact the boards and is smart and young, earning PT over veteran journeymen in his rookie year despite playing for a coach who stresses execution (or used to).

I'm hanging on to Sully unless I get an established allstar.  Trading him for anything else would just be a reshuffling of chairs and counterproductive.

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm thinking about Sully, his rebounding grit and smart play (esp. in passing out of the post/swing passes and cuts).  Is his upside Barkleyesque?

As in similar to Charles Barkley?

Not even close.  While I appreciate the "overweight and undersized" angle, Barkley had elite talent *and* explosive athleticism.  You can't say the same for Sully.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 01:43:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I think he can have a bigger impact if the Celtics force him down low on offense. 

He, more then any other of them, will pull defenses away from the other shooters.  If a guy like Lee can find his shot, Cousins opens up room for him.  He will even likely open a little more room for Pierce and KG. 

More importantly, Cousins in the low post is the type of offensive player that could force the Heat out of a small lineup.

Defensively, yes, he is going to be a project.  But his size and rebounding will be a plus.

Yes, trading for Cousins is certainly a win now move. Bradley is a 6 ft 3 SG with limited offensive skills. He would help this year, but he won't make us contenders. Cousins is a legit top level big man talent. He would solve our rebounding issues and give us a 2nd powerful low post presence to pair with KG. Also, anytime you have the chance to trade an undersized SG for a top young big man, you do it instantly. Talented big men are very hard to come by in the NBA today.

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

As in similar to Charles Barkley?

Not even close.  While I appreciate the "overweight and undersized" angle, Barkley had elite talent *and* explosive athleticism.  You can't say the same for Sully.

Ahem...correct.  I was thinking of the older Barkley, not the superstar-in-his-prime Barkley.  The one that was such a great piece on a team that the only trade up would be for an allstar.

That's sort of how I see Sully.  Unfortunately, we have a few players that might be in that range...  Which means, optimistically, that we might have the pieces for another KG-level trade in the next year or two...

Which still means that, as the OP states, trading Sullinger now would be a mistake.  I think that perhaps next year there'll be an auction on a Bradley/Sullinger trade package as Danny calls the Other 29 trolling for another young star to play with Rondo, preferably a big (I think).

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Get real , he could not even hold Barkley's jockstrap.

Barkley averaged 15 PPG and almost 9 RPG as a rookie.  Granted he probably played more minutes but in sports cream usually rises to the top.   Therefore, Sully would get more minutes if he deserved them.   He isn't chopped liver but he is good journeymen material.  He projects better than Big Baby but Davis is not a star keep in mind, at least not on a good team.

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Cousins would give Boston another very strong passing big man offensively. Both out of the low post and high post. Which in addition to Cousins' post scoring would make Boston's offense much more versatile. I don't think we've had a big man who is as strong a passer as Cousins is alongside KG since KG has been here. A big plus to have two such talented passing bigs.

Cousins would instantly be Boston's 2nd best defensive big (well 3rd if you include Collins but Collins shouldn't play regular minutes). Cousins is a good defensive upgrade over Bass, Sully and Wilcox. His physical size at 6-11 270lbs and mobility gives Cousins a good presence in the paint and better enables to matchup against physically talented NBA players unlike Boston's current mix of power forwards (Bass, Sully, Wilcox).

Cousins may not be a plus defensive big man yet but he is most definitely an upgrade over the guys Boston has been trotting out there so far this year.

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sullinger is almost the perfect type of player to trade, although it might be a little early to get full value for him.

Sullinger's ceiling is no more than solid, role playing starter.  If he can help bring you near all-star level talent (as a piece of a larger deal), you jump on the opportunity.

I'd even give up Bradley (reluctantly) too, for an potential all-star level big.  I'll never understand why people don't get that you have to give up something to get something.

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
gortat isnt good enough to put a team over the top for a championship.

cousins on the otherhand averages 18/11

You do the math.

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »

Offline Bingbangbarros

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
I think I remember a post just like this one years ago about a guy named Ryan Gomes. Lets hope that doesn't happen to Sully.

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Sullinger is almost the perfect type of player to trade, although it might be a little early to get full value for him.

Sullinger's ceiling is no more than solid, role playing starter.  If he can help bring you near all-star level talent (as a piece of a larger deal), you jump on the opportunity.

I'd even give up Bradley (reluctantly) too, for an potential all-star level big.  I'll never understand why people don't get that you have to give up something to get something.

Yea, I can't stop laughing at the posts saying that the Kings should be happy to trade us Cousins for Bass, Lee and Melo. Why the heck would they want those players for an all-star big man? Bass and Lee are career bench players who the kings would really have no use for.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
gortat isnt good enough to put a team over the top for a championship.

cousins on the otherhand averages 18/11

You do the math.

Well, he averages 16.5 / 9.5, but who's counting? ;)

Cousins is much more talented, but there's an argument to be made that 11.4 points on 9.2 shot attempts is just as valuable (if not moreso) as 16.5 points on 14.7 shot attempts. 

Heck, Gortat is coming off a 15.4 / 10 season himself.  He'd be a big addition here, even if Cousins is a more attractive player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes