Author Topic: Nerlens Noel: Time to come home  (Read 3884 times)

Nerlens Noel: Time to come home
« on: December 13, 2019, 07:40:32 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Nerlens Noel is riding the wave of his career arc and it finally might be the right time to bring him in.

After a somewhat promising start averaging the rare 2 steals and 2 blocks for the 76ers, Noel fell out of favor and it looked like he was more likely to fall out of the league than contribute to a winning franchise.

Luckily for him, after bungling the Mavericks situation, Noel could not have found a better landing spot to recoup his value than a rock-solid OKC Thunder organization.

I hate using per 36 but if he could replicate 80% of this production in higher minutes I could see him becoming a valuable contributor in Boston, possibly even the starter.

Per 36
15 PTS / 10 RB / 3 AST / 2 STL / 3 BLK

.696 TS% / .235 WS48 / 6.6 BPM (NBA best 5.7 DBPM)
-Taken from poster Sulico on Realgm.

At the very least he offers something that this team entirely lacks in a defensive rim runner at the 4/5.

Any interest in bringing Noel back to Mass where it all started? What do you think?

https://youtu.be/aiac1hCp6i0

Re: Nerlens Noel: Time to come home
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:50:25 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I love Noel, but Embiid will use him (and Bamba) as tooth picks.

I think we're going to need a tough and rugged banger (See Steven Adams) if he's available.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 08:03:36 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I love Noel, but Embiid will use him (and Bamba) as tooth picks.

I think we're going to need a tough and rugged banger (See Steven Adams) if he's available.
Of course he's available, you just have to match salaries which means giving up Smart plus more salary plus a sweetener for OKC to make the move (e.g. Memphis picks and a couple of good prospects like Langford).  Very simple, right? (sarcasm intended)  We have gone around this block dozens of times.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Even his name says Merry Christmas.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I cringe everytime this comes up.

Terrible person who is lazy. Hard pass.

Reason he's never found a home in anyone's rotation and it's got 0 to do with his talent.
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 09:06:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I really want Noel in Boston, but one thing about the statistics thrown out: DBPM isn't meant to be a one number metric to measure defence. It only measures statistics in the box score, so it fails to grasp the value of intangibles such as good help defence and communication. Good thread by the OP though, I think he can be a high energy big who can be the happy equilibrium between Theis and Kanter.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is he any different than Robert Williams? Good counting stats per minute, awful defense and decision making.

I'd be open to it if Williams hip turns out to be a long term issue.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Is he any different than Robert Williams? Good counting stats per minute, awful defense and decision making.

From the little I've seen he seems to be a more mature Robert Williams, his defensive IQ seems fine to me. The offence isn't pretty, but he's fine in a rim runner role.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

From the little I've seen he seems to be a more mature Robert Williams, his defensive IQ seems fine to me. The offence isn't pretty, but he's fine in a rim runner role.
I watch a lot of OKC games and his defense is bad in the same way its bad for Timelord. Jumps himself out of position to get blocks and makes silly decisions outside of the scheme. So the team's defense is bad when he's out there.

Similarly he's a productive rebounder yet when he's on the court his team rebounds poorly far worse than when he's off the court. The opposing team gets a ton of offensive rebounds because he chases blocks or otherwise doesn't take care of his rebounding responsibility.

Dude is basically Timelord, except he probably still thinks he should be a max contract player.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I'd agree with this, IMO Noel has a much higher defensive IQ than Robert Williams. He's also more capable of defending on the perimeter than Timelord. If anything his impact goes beyond the counting stats in a similar way to Smart.

Noel was at one point the consensus number 1 pick. He may have fallen off since then but the talent is real and there have at least been no public discipline issues that have come out since he's been in OKC.

I think he can be a high energy big who can be the happy equilibrium between Theis and Kanter.

Well put he's the rare player that could be added to our big man rotation without too much disruption.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If anything his impact goes beyond the counting stats in a similar way to Smart.
Unfortunately his extra impact has a negative sign in front of the number.

When was the last time Marcus smart wasn't getting over 20 MPG? Since he got away from the tanking 76ers no coach has given him more burn than that.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 10:18:08 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
RW is 22 years old and getting the first real nba action of his life. Noel has been around for several years and hasn't improved much as a player.

Hard pass.

FYI, our big men made Embiid work last night. We didn't lose that game because of either of them. Embiid is top 2 or 3 interior offensive players in the league, he's going to get his points if they get him the ball.

We lost last night because Tatum was putrid and Brown decided he'd rather watch the game on-court than actually play in it.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I kinda started to like Kanter. Last night he was in the right position and was given enough time by the flow of the game to make the right switches. Him shooting 10/13 you can argue he torched Embiid. Kanter is a keeper this season. Also like Theis. ...

now the rest of the bench and rookies not so much ... lets do one of those 6 for 1 trades proposed lol  :P

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not interested. Noel isn't going to move the needle and really won't give you any more than what Theis and Kanter are giving you now.

Think bigger and better.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
RW is 22 years old and getting the first real nba action of his life. Noel has been around for several years and hasn't improved much as a player.

Hard pass.

FYI, our big men made Embiid work last night. We didn't lose that game because of either of them. Embiid is top 2 or 3 interior offensive players in the league, he's going to get his points if they get him the ball.

We lost last night because Tatum was putrid and Brown decided he'd rather watch the game on-court than actually play in it.
This is not what happened. This was another case of Stevens sticking Brown in a corner as a decoy while pushing his offense to others, specifically Kanter and Theis.

I don't think Brown played all that great, but his lack of offense isn't his fault when he is being told to sit in a corner while everyone else on the court is involved. The man wasn't allowed to touch the ball for almost the entire 3rd period.