Author Topic: Woj: Morey to oversee 76ers Ops?  (Read 7693 times)

Re: Woj: Morey to oversee 76ers Ops?
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Here's hoping Morey doesn't like Simmons and he's willing to consider a trade around Kemba. :P

For instance:

https://tradenba.com/trades/QYhiedMUW

I have been promoting the idea of Kemba (to be Philly's PG) for Simmons (to be Celtics' PF) for a while.  I think Kemba is a good fit to play with Embiid and Harris (better than Simmons) and I think Simmons could be the perfect PF to play along side of Smart, Brown, Tatum, and a center.  Then Trade Hayward for Oladipo and Turner and you bolster our depth.

What I don't understand is why include Theis and Mike Scott.  This doesn't seem to help either team.

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 09:39:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really don't like the idea of trying to pair Simmons & Tatum. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'd love it defensively, offensively not so much (Tatum isn't good enough of a ball handler and playmaker to skewer elite defences in the PnR with Simmons imo).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd love it defensively, offensively not so much (Tatum isn't good enough of a ball handler and playmaker to skewer elite defence in the PnR with Simmons imo).

Yeah, offensively is where I see a problem arising by pairing the two.

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

It never occurred to me that this would be an issue.  To me, this allows Tatum to play his natural position (SF-Wing) and not ever have to worry about covering an actual PF (Simmons who is 6'-10" would take the big).  Seems this makes life easier for Tatum.

On offense, Simmons can be either the ball handler, creating switches and doubles, opening up Tatum, or the picker/roller.  If Simmons ends up with the ball out of the P&R, he can score inside but also is such a good passer, the ball can keep moving.

I am not sure what the concern is.  I would be excited to see Simmons in the mix.

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2020, 09:58:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'd love it defensively, offensively not so much (Tatum isn't good enough of a ball handler and playmaker to skewer elite defences in the PnR with Simmons imo).
Yeah, offensively is where I see a problem arising by pairing the two.
Yeah I don't love the fit between a wing who's not elite on the ball but needs the ball to be really effective playing alongside a player who's more of a traditional big in the halfcourt.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
A win for all in my book

Philadelphia get : James Harden, Jrue Holiday, Robert Covington
Houston Rockets: Joel Embiid, Josh Richardson
New Orleans get: Al Horford, Zhaire Smith

FA, Harris, Simmons, Harden, Holiday

Embiid, Tucker, Richardson, Gordon, Westbrook (eventually look to flip westbrook)

Horford, Williamson, FA, Ingram, Ball
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:11:56 AM by shut_the_gate »

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2020, 10:10:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

It never occurred to me that this would be an issue.  To me, this allows Tatum to play his natural position (SF-Wing) and not ever have to worry about covering an actual PF (Simmons who is 6'-10" would take the big).  Seems this makes life easier for Tatum.

On offense, Simmons can be either the ball handler, creating switches and doubles, opening up Tatum, or the picker/roller.  If Simmons ends up with the ball out of the P&R, he can score inside but also is such a good passer, the ball can keep moving.

I am not sure what the concern is.  I would be excited to see Simmons in the mix.
Simmons isn't the second coming of Magic Johnson no matter how much people are fascinated with big playmakers, he really isn't that great at running an offence with the ball in his hands against a set defence in the halfcourt. What he's elite at is being an off-ball "big" who runs at defences as the roll man with his incredible size, length, athleticism and dexterity and then picking them apart when they collapse with his excellent passing on the move to cutters and shooters. If he's not setting screens/DHOs (includes elbow action that players like Bam do) he can stand in the short corner to receive feeds and crash the offensive glass with his aforementioned physical gifts. Tatum isn't that on-ball engine who can feed Simmons over and over and neither he is that off-ball maestro who can fly off screens to really stress defences and create great openings for Simmons to dive and attack.

Simmons won't be useless next to Tatum offensively, but I don't think that Tatum can really tap into Simmons' value on that end of the floor.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2020, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Simmons isn't the second coming of Magic Johnson no matter how much people are fascinated with big playmakers, he really isn't that great at running an offence with the ball in his hands against a set defence in the halfcourt. What he's elite at is being an off-ball "big" who runs at defences as the roll man with his incredible size, length, athleticism and dexterity and then picking them apart when they collapse with his excellent passing on the move to cutters and shooters. If he's not setting screens/DHOs (includes elbow action that players like Bam do) he can stand in the short corner to receive feeds and crash the offensive glass with his aforementioned physical gifts. Tatum isn't that on-ball engine who can feed Simmons over and over and neither he is that off-ball maestro who can fly off screens to really stress defences and create great openings for Simmons to dive and attack.

Simmons won't be useless next to Tatum offensively, but I don't think that Tatum can really tap into Simmons' value on that end of the floor.

A huge part of what would make Simmons great on the C's has to do with defense, rebounding and transition offense. Even if Simmons was only able to play a Robert Williams like role in our set offense, we would see a huge benefit to team performance.

I don't see why Tatum or Brown would have to turn into Ray Allen to take advantage of Simmons half court passing skills. They are both great shooters and they just need to make basic reads and adjust.

I highly doubt he'd be available, but I think a Tatum/Brown/Simmons trio would tear up the NBA.

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2020, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Simmons isn't the second coming of Magic Johnson

Yeah, that is what I said, Simmons is the second coming of Magic Johnson.  He is a very good passer though with excellent court vision and feel for the game.  That doesn't mean you have to "run the offense though him" to take advantage of that.  I would rather have good balanced team passing and play-making than try to just rely on one guy to create everything.  To have that kind of skill while playing as a big would be great in my opinion, on both ends of the court.

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
A win for all in my book

Philadelphia get : James Harden, Jrue Holiday, Robert Covington
Houston Rockets: Joel Embiid, Josh Richardson
New Orleans get: Al Horford, Zhaire Smith

FA, Harris, Simmons, Harden, Holiday

Embiid, Tucker, Richardson, Gordon, Westbrook (eventually look to flip westbrook)

Horford, Williamson, FA, Ingram, Ball
New Orleans is getting shafted in that deal unless they are getting multiple 1sts.  Don't know why Houston would want Embiid other than to pair with Harden.  If I'm the Sixers, I'd want to flip Simmons for Harden rather than Embiid for Harden.  If you can get the right role players around them, I think Harden and Embiid would be a really dominant combo in this league.

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2020, 12:42:41 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Daryl Morey sends clear message on first day with Sixers - this is Joel Embiid's team.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/sixers-daryl-morey-press-conference-joel-embiid-ben-simmons-doc-rivers-76ers-roster/

I'm not sure if the focus of the article was to be solely on Embiid, but the fact that Ben Simmons wasn't mentioned jumped out to me. Does that mean, Simmons is available?

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Daryl Morey sends clear message on first day with Sixers - this is Joel Embiid's team.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/sixers-daryl-morey-press-conference-joel-embiid-ben-simmons-doc-rivers-76ers-roster/

I'm not sure if the focus of the article was to be solely on Embiid, but the fact that Ben Simmons wasn't mentioned jumped out to me. Does that mean, Simmons is available?
summary of a zoom call.  others talking about mentioned Simmons and highly he thought of him as well. 

For example, here is an ESPN article talking about the same zoom call. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30245570/new-team-president-daryl-morey-likes-philadelphia-76ers-roster-says-goal-championship

Some other quotes from that conference:

"My goal is to win a championship, so whatever gets us there is what we'll do," Morey said during a virtual news conference officially announcing his hiring. "But I would say to have two star-plus players in 24 and 26 years old, that is why I couldn't get Doc Rivers to come interview in Houston.

"He saw this roster and he said, 'It's amazing,' and 'Sorry I couldn't fly to Houston to meet with you, Daryl.' And then, obviously, I end up here a couple weeks later. ... It was pretty cool."

"I'm a pretty competitive guy, but that was my plan. My wife was actually urging me to do that. But Elton and Doc and Josh were relentless, just relentless, as soon as I stepped away. Frankly, the more you look at what Elton has put together, on this roster with Joel and Ben as the headliners but with great players -- Al [Horford], Josh [Richardson], Tobias [Harris] and some of the younger players brought in last year -- I'm with Doc.

"He and I have been chatting a lot, and the more you dig into the players that are here, the more you get excited about what this team can do."

"I absolutely think they can work together," Morey said.

"I have no doubt they can," Rivers said. "Again, I haven't been in the lab with them yet, but I know they can.

"I think we have to change the narrative. They haven't won yet, not that they can't win. The 'can't' should be taken out. But there's a lot of combinations of players around the league that haven't won yet, and they're just two other ones. I'm really looking forward to the challenge."
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2020, 01:46:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

summary of a zoom call.  others talking about mentioned Simmons and highly he thought of him as well. 

For example, here is an ESPN article talking about the same zoom call. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30245570/new-team-president-daryl-morey-likes-philadelphia-76ers-roster-says-goal-championship

Some other quotes from that conference:

"My goal is to win a championship, so whatever gets us there is what we'll do," Morey said during a virtual news conference officially announcing his hiring. "But I would say to have two star-plus players in 24 and 26 years old, that is why I couldn't get Doc Rivers to come interview in Houston.

"He saw this roster and he said, 'It's amazing,' and 'Sorry I couldn't fly to Houston to meet with you, Daryl.' And then, obviously, I end up here a couple weeks later. ... It was pretty cool."

"I'm a pretty competitive guy, but that was my plan. My wife was actually urging me to do that. But Elton and Doc and Josh were relentless, just relentless, as soon as I stepped away. Frankly, the more you look at what Elton has put together, on this roster with Joel and Ben as the headliners but with great players -- Al [Horford], Josh [Richardson], Tobias [Harris] and some of the younger players brought in last year -- I'm with Doc.

"He and I have been chatting a lot, and the more you dig into the players that are here, the more you get excited about what this team can do."

"I absolutely think they can work together," Morey said.

"I have no doubt they can," Rivers said. "Again, I haven't been in the lab with them yet, but I know they can.

"I think we have to change the narrative. They haven't won yet, not that they can't win. The 'can't' should be taken out. But there's a lot of combinations of players around the league that haven't won yet, and they're just two other ones. I'm really looking forward to the challenge."

Of course, that is what you would expect the new coach and the new GM to say on what is really their first day of work.  It may well actually be true also (but even if it wasn't, I doubt they would say anything different).  It makes sense to give it a try with the core roster, see what you have, and if you can't figure it out, blow up the team later.  That is likely what I would do anyway.  Your view of players and the team as a whole will be different in say 4 months than it is now.

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
The vote of confidence. 

Fast forward to months down the road when one of the two is moved.