Author Topic: Zach Lowe’s POR / Hayward trade proposal  (Read 6786 times)

Re: Zach Lowe’s POR / Hayward trade proposal
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Zach always has the worst trade ideas. But it would be funny to watch Haywards wifes reaction to being traded to Portland.
Hayward would have to agree with this cause it would be a sign and trade.

right on, still makes me giggle.   the hippies!

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
The only redeeming thing about this proposed trade is cap relief.
If the deal was Collins, Ariza and a pick for Hayward it would create a 15 million dollar TPE the team could use to sign woods or Gallo like that.

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

Its interesting team if healthy.

Swap Zach for Nurkic though and I like it alot more.

I don't think that's how exceptions work.

I have read stuff online stating that it does, and I have read articles stating that it doesnt.

So I dont know what to believe.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm is your friend. Not the kind of friend that you want to hang out with for hours, but definitely the kind of friend you can turn to when you're unsure about something. (Seriously, don't just try to read it all the way through, but searching for aspects of the cap and learning more about them over time is the way to go.)

As for signing players with a TPE, the section on non-simultaneous trades spells it out pretty clearly:

Quote from: Larry Coon's CBA FAQs
Teams cannot use trade exceptions to sign free agents; they can be used only to acquire existing contracts from other teams. However, a team can acquire a free agent using a trade exception if he is signed by his prior team and traded in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 92).

Which means that, well assuming the trade of Hayward did create a large enough TPE, then the sort of transaction Darth Yoda hoped for to acquire Woods or Gallo would be possible.

The way it would work is that either would be signed by their current team (Bird Rights) and traded to the Cs into the TPE space.   For doing this, the Cs would sent that team one or more draft picks.

Whether this is a good thing to do is debatable, of course.
Zach Lowe’s idea is based on the assumption that Hayward opts out and is willing to re-sign for roughly $25M a year. In this scenario, we can sign and trade him to the Blazers for Collins + Ariza + Hood.

Ariza $12,800,000
Hood $6,003,900 (player option)
Collins $5,406,255

total $24,210,155

Hayward's new salary would be around $25M, hence it would be a valid trade.

Obviously, we wouldn't have a TPE big enough to go after Wood/Gallo.

One alternative if it doesn’t create a TPE:

Ariza to GS for their TPE. I like the idea of Ariza in Boston. At the end of the day though, he’s on an expiring contract. Ariza to GA would save Boston more money and create a TPE worth at least $12.8M.

They could then use the Ariza TPE to acquire Wood. Where there’s a will...there’s a way!

There's no way the Warriors would want Ariza at $12.8 million, they're already at record-setting levels for their tax bill. A three-way with Ariza going to Detroit or an under-the-cap team like the Hawks would be the only way something like this would make sense (but, still, I'm not sure how much we could offer without going over the tax apron)

Taking on Ariza isn’t a big deal if you save money by moving #2 and Wiggins. The Warriors could also add Ariza to a deal with Wiggins & or #2. He’s on an expiring contract. I think Golden State will make a trade with the TPE for sure.

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2020, 04:38:50 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
according to a Hawks "insider" (who has been right in the past) Celtics are looking to bring in Hampton for a workout (14th pick) are interested in trading up to NYKs pick if either Haliburton or Okongwu are there.

Also saying:

"Boston wants to resign Aron Baynes.

He is hearing the same thing others are about Gordon Hayward. He is looking to opt-out. He is looking to resign or find an SnT deal to Dallas. This one is Boston's to lose. He seems to want to resign but with more years and a less competitive market than 2021. "

Hayward to Dallas for THJ, Wright and #18?

Hayward to Dallas makes a ton of sense from Dallas’ perspective. They are rumored to be willing to “take on large salaries to land a star”. That headline is a little unclear, but to me it screams “let’s clear cap space for Giannis!” Hayward’s $34.1M could help the Mavs shed some salary (Delon Wright or Dwight Powell). Boston should also ask to move down from pick 26 to pick 31 (2nd rd picks have contracts with more flexibility than 1st rd picks).

To BOS: Hardaway Jr, Delon Wright, 18th pick, 31st pick

To DAL: Gordon Hayward, 26th pick, 47th pick 

Having picks 14, 18, 30, 31 plus Wright (or Powell) should allow the Celtics to move up to #7 and get Wood.

Wood/Haliburton/THJ would be a successful offseason. I would offer:

Wright (or Powell), 14, 30, & 31 for #7 & Wood.

I’d even offer a future 1st round pick before offering the 18th pick to DET.

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
according to a Hawks "insider" (who has been right in the past) Celtics are looking to bring in Hampton for a workout (14th pick) are interested in trading up to NYKs pick if either Haliburton or Okongwu are there.

Also saying:

He is hearing the same thing others are about Gordon Hayward. He is looking to opt-out. He is looking to resign or find an SnT deal to Dallas. This one is Boston's to lose. He seems to want to resign but with more years and a less competitive market than 2021. "

Hayward to Dallas makes a ton of sense from Dallas’ perspective. They are rumored to be willing to “take on large salaries to land a star”. That headline is a little unclear, but to me it screams “let’s clear cap space for Giannis!” Hayward’s $34.1M could help the Mavs shed some salary (Delon Wright or Dwight Powell). Boston should also ask to move down from pick 26 to pick 31 (2nd rd picks have contracts with more flexibility than 1st rd picks).

Having picks 14, 18, 30, 31 plus Wright (or Powell) should allow the Celtics to move up to #7 and get Wood.

gross.   and i don't think nba trades 3 for 1s like that.  nobody cares about multiple late round first draft night.

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2020, 05:52:04 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Also saying:

I'd rather get back shooters in curry and kleber than THJ

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2020, 05:40:27 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

Also saying:

Wouldn’t be averse to this trade  Dallas gets better, getting the best player in the deal, and we get our shooter plus we can (hopefully) consolidate a few picks to move up.

Getting Baynes at the right price would be nice too. Not quite the game changing big I was hoping for though. I might even continue starting theis again.

I believe, assuming that Hayward wants to go there, we wouldnt even have to resign him, as they have the space to take him in.

THJ , #18, #31 from Dallas for Hayward, Poirier, #30 (#30 for #31 should satisfy the stepian rule about pick trading?)

This gives shooting off the bench as well as an expiring and gives the team about 15 million in a TPE (woods/Gallow)

I would have to think that #26 to Detroit for a sign and traded Wood (assuming wood is leaving) would be a good deal for them. Could also offer 14 and 18 for their first as well.)

Its possible that dealing Hayward to Dallas could net the team
Wood, THJ, Haliburton.

Kemba/Haliburton
Smart/Romeo
Brown/THJ
Tatum/GrantW
Wood/Theis

I see Christian Wood’s name being tossed around a bit here. Is there any actual smoke to this or is he just wishlist material?

- LilRip

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2020, 06:39:34 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Also saying:

Wouldn’t be averse to this trade  Dallas gets better, getting the best player in the deal, and we get our shooter plus we can (hopefully) consolidate a few picks to move up.

Getting Baynes at the right price would be nice too. Not quite the game changing big I was hoping for though. I might even continue starting theis again.

I believe, assuming that Hayward wants to go there, we wouldnt even have to resign him, as they have the space to take him in.

THJ , #18, #31 from Dallas for Hayward, Poirier, #30 (#30 for #31 should satisfy the stepian rule about pick trading?)

This gives shooting off the bench as well as an expiring and gives the team about 15 million in a TPE (woods/Gallow)

I would have to think that #26 to Detroit for a sign and traded Wood (assuming wood is leaving) would be a good deal for them. Could also offer 14 and 18 for their first as well.)

Its possible that dealing Hayward to Dallas could net the team
Wood, THJ, Haliburton.

Kemba/Haliburton
Smart/Romeo
Brown/THJ
Tatum/GrantW
Wood/Theis

I see Christian Wood’s name being tossed around a bit here. Is there any actual smoke to this or is he just wishlist material?

Celtics were rumored to be pursuing him during the season.

Christian asked his twitter followers where he shoupd sign in the offseason.

Rest is all specilation.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2020, 07:00:25 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I just don't see Dallas committing cap space to Gordon Hayward. By all indications from various NBA sources Dallas feels like they have a shot to land Giannis. They're not going to just throw 20 million of that a way on GH a year before Giannis can become available.

Now, if Giannis signs the supermax during free agency it's a different story.

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2020, 08:19:34 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
I just don't see Dallas committing cap space to Gordon Hayward. By all indications from various NBA sources Dallas feels like they have a shot to land Giannis. They're not going to just throw 20 million of that a way on GH a year before Giannis can become available.

Dallas is currrently slated to have only 72 million in salaries committed in 2021-2022
They have the ability to drop Brunson and Jackson for a combined 8.5 million.

If they can move Wright and Powell between now and then they would have 43.7 million in committed salaries.
They can easily have Hayward at 25 mill per season and still offer a max contract to Giannis.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2020, 08:21:29 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Also saying:

gross.   and i don't think nba trades 3 for 1s like that.  nobody cares about multiple late round first draft night.

It has been suggested many times in media that Detroit would be willing to trade their pick for our 3. Detroit needs depth and with this draft being so flat you can get good players in the 25-30 pick range.

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2020, 09:05:16 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Dallas is currrently slated to have only 72 million in salaries committed in 2021-2022
They have the ability to drop Brunson and Jackson for a combined 8.5 million.

If they can move Wright and Powell between now and then they would have 43.7 million in committed salaries.
They can easily have Hayward at 25 mill per season and still offer a max contract to Giannis.

Thank you for the clarification. I guess the question now is does GH entice Giannis to come to Dallas.