Author Topic: Zach Lowe’s POR / Hayward trade proposal  (Read 6886 times)

Re: Zach Lowe’s POR / Hayward trade proposal
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 09:42:53 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The only redeeming thing about this proposed trade is cap relief.
If the deal was Collins, Ariza and a pick for Hayward it would create a 15 million dollar TPE the team could use to sign woods or Gallo like that.

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

Its interesting team if healthy.

Swap Zach for Nurkic though and I like it alot more.

I don't think that's how exceptions work.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 09:47:23 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Before I opened this I thought why would they trade Nurkic?

Even worse than it sounds because Collins doesn't provide anything that Theis can't do almost as well. He's bigger, and may become a better player down the road, but he isn't particularly physical or athletically imposing.

I don't see doing any better against Adebayo or Embiid.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Collins has always been a player that had some flashes of really high level play, but has yet to be consistent. When you add to that the injury concerns, this deal doesn't seem like a great fit.

The upside of the deal for the Cs is a couple other things. First, they get cap relief and the possibility of getting under the tax. Second, Ariza could probably still give a few minutes as a backup wing. 

I don't hate this deal, but I don't love it either.

Did you watch him in bubble before he got hurt? He was worthless.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
If the deal was Collins, Ariza and a pick for Hayward it would create a 15 million dollar TPE the team could use to sign woods or Gallo like that.

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

I have read stuff online stating that it does, and I have read articles stating that it doesnt.

So I dont know what to believe.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
No thanks.

I do think we are overvaluing Hayward here but that trade stinks and I think we can do better.

Obviously Haywards value takes a hit because he is at risk of being a one year rental to any team he goes to, and this is clearly not a Kawhi situation. We need to be realistic on what we can get for him but Collins? We gotta do better than that.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 10:34:21 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Collins has always been a player that had some flashes of really high level play, but has yet to be consistent. When you add to that the injury concerns, this deal doesn't seem like a great fit.

The upside of the deal for the Cs is a couple other things. First, they get cap relief and the possibility of getting under the tax. Second, Ariza could probably still give a few minutes as a backup wing. 

I don't hate this deal, but I don't love it either.

Did you watch him in bubble before he got hurt? He was worthless.

That's the inconsistency. In the 2019 playoffs, he had some really good moments against Denver.

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 10:40:02 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

I have read stuff online stating that it does, and I have read articles stating that it doesnt.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm is your friend. Not the kind of friend that you want to hang out with for hours, but definitely the kind of friend you can turn to when you're unsure about something. (Seriously, don't just try to read it all the way through, but searching for aspects of the cap and learning more about them over time is the way to go.)

As for signing players with a TPE, the section on non-simultaneous trades spells it out pretty clearly:

Quote from: Larry Coon's CBA FAQs
Teams cannot use trade exceptions to sign free agents; they can be used only to acquire existing contracts from other teams. However, a team can acquire a free agent using a trade exception if he is signed by his prior team and traded in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 92).
I'm bitter.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 10:51:10 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
While there’s no way to tell for sure what Hayward’s value is in a trade, him having low trade value might be a real possibility. He’s making max and playing below that value + his one-year contract may likely end up being a rental. Hard to imagine giving up much value for a guy who could leave your team in the next offseason.

Look at the KG trade. Even when a player of KG’s caliber was available, Trader Danny hesitated going all in for a KG rental. And KG was former MVP and was still one of the top players at the time! Hayward is a one-time all star with a rash of recent injuries, by comparison (yup, Tatum has as many all star appearances as Hayward right now).
- LilRip

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm is your friend. Not the kind of friend that you want to hang out with for hours, but definitely the kind of friend you can turn to when you're unsure about something. (Seriously, don't just try to read it all the way through, but searching for aspects of the cap and learning more about them over time is the way to go.)

As for signing players with a TPE, the section on non-simultaneous trades spells it out pretty clearly:

Teams cannot use trade exceptions to sign free agents; they can be used only to acquire existing contracts from other teams. However, a team can acquire a free agent using a trade exception if he is signed by his prior team and traded in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 92).

Which means that, well assuming the trade of Hayward did create a large enough TPE, then the sort of transaction Darth Yoda hoped for to acquire Woods or Gallo would be possible.

The way it would work is that either would be signed by their current team (Bird Rights) and traded to the Cs into the TPE space.   For doing this, the Cs would sent that team one or more draft picks.

Whether this is a good thing to do is debatable, of course.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

Nice, thank you

Then this just re-iterates my thought that a TPE might be move valuable to acquire than a player this offseason.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

Nice, thank you

Then this just re-iterates my thought that a TPE might be move valuable to acquire than a player this offseason.

Ariza, Collins, a future first plus a TPE that turns into Wood or Gallo? Sign me up! TP Darth Yoda

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 11:11:50 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
$34M plus covid makes it really tough for someone to want to sign Hayward. I don't see one of the few teams who can, thinking they should pay a multi-year north of $30M for him this fall. Normally,they might do it, but now? Anything less than that and the C's option will likely be close enough for him.

Isn't the smarter play for Hayward to opt in, bet on himself to have a nice season, clear the $34M anvil (which goes in his pocket) off the books and hope the covid cloud starts to clear by next fall? He's the kind of player who is at a level where a minor improvement in perceived value means tens of millions. Why play it out in the worst possible circumstance, maybe ever?

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 11:14:26 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

Which means that, well assuming the trade of Hayward did create a large enough TPE, then the sort of transaction Darth Yoda hoped for to acquire Woods or Gallo would be possible.

The way it would work is that either would be signed by their current team (Bird Rights) and traded to the Cs into the TPE space.   For doing this, the Cs would sent that team one or more draft picks.

Whether this is a good thing to do is debatable, of course.
Zach Lowe’s idea is based on the assumption that Hayward opts out and is willing to re-sign for roughly $25M a year. In this scenario, we can sign and trade him to the Blazers for Collins + Ariza + Hood.

Ariza $12,800,000
Hood $6,003,900 (player option)
Collins $5,406,255

total $24,210,155

Hayward's new salary would be around $25M, hence it would be a valid trade.

Obviously, we wouldn't have a TPE big enough to go after Wood/Gallo.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:24:08 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 11:24:57 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
We need to pump the brakes on the trade Hayward stuff. This is getting out of control. The Celtics are a title contender. Last year Hayward was playing at just under an all-star level, and is happy playing a supportive role to the team's rising young stars. He's a really good player and a really good fit. Unless Hayward tells the Celtics he wants to leave, you do not trade a player like that for anything other than a star.

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Zach always has the worst trade ideas. But it would be funny to watch Haywards wifes reaction to being traded to Portland.